Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-around boat

Question All-around boat

Looking for a multi-purpose aluminum boat that I can drop in the Kenai for Kings, or take out to Deep Creek for Halibut or Seward for the Silver derby. Any suggestions..............???????????

ATEC landing craft. Twin Yamaha 4-strokes. 'Nuff said.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

18' Hewes Sportsman; less deep V than the sea runner, can enlcose easily
    18' Klamath/Bayrunner; pretty light, high bow
    Jim

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I was in your same position 2 years ago.Living close to the Kenai,wanting the versitility/option of fishing salt and fresh water and looking at a lot of different boats.There is no one boat that is perfect for all applications,so you make a few compromises.And make your choice.
    After lots of research I ended up buying a 19' Klamath with a 50hp E-tec.Legal for the river,light enough to get plenty of speed when needed,and still big enough to get out on the water out of Homer,Seward,or Deep Creek.There are nasty days that I won't go out,feeling undergunned in high wind/chop,you have to be sensible.But as an all-around boat for my applications it has served me well the last 2 years.The Klamath hs a soft top,very handy on wet days,when the guided fishers are huddled in their rain gear.The E-tec has been flawless so far.I'm happy with my choice---good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SwansonSilver View Post
    Looking for a multi-purpose aluminum boat that I can drop in the Kenai for Kings, or take out to Deep Creek for Halibut or Seward for the Silver derby. Any suggestions..............???????????
    There is no such boat. Pick one.

You can get a boat that will do one job very well and not work for others. Or you can get a boat that will do multiple jobs in half-arse fashion, but be good at nothing. Your choice.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

An 18-20 Sportsman is about as good as it gets for an all purpose boat, but an all purpose boat is about like a Swiss Army Knife, they don't really shine at anything.

A Sportsman is good at best. Ok for halibut, good for silvers out of Seward, good for dip netting, poor for back trolling for kings.

If you get a Predator type river boat; Ok for halibut, good for silvers out of Seward, near perfect for dipping, back trolling, and duck hunting.

Good luck and happy hunting
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    There is no such boat. Pick one.

You can get a boat that will do one job very well and not work for others. Or you can get a boat that will do multiple jobs in half-arse fashion, but be good at nothing. Your choice.

Joat is spot on!!!

Problem you run into if you want the Kenia and Ocean is 50 HP limit. In an 18' boat in following seas with a 50 HP, you will be in a world of hurt. Been there, got that, got the T-shirt. I had an 18' Jetcraft with a 50. Had a following seas incident that I am lucky to be here, and a rip tide incident that scared the crap out of me so bad, my boat got immediatly repowered to a 90 honda with a hydraulic transome lift. It afforded me to fish the ocean but still had to pick my days, and fish other lakes and rivers other than the Kenia which I could still dipnet. My hard headed brother in law went against my advise last year and took his kenia boat to homer and when the weather picked up he got caught. He called me right after that and said he will never do that again. He was not an experienced boat owner to begin with. My advise, decide what is your favorite fishery, buy a boat for it and find a friend that has a boat for the other fishery or get a guide for a few trips a year, you will be money ahead.

Thanks everyone for the info...probably will focus on an ocean boat....much more enjoyable than playing bumper boats on the kenai anyaway.

Wise choice IMO.
    I think there are a lot more options if you take the Kenai limitations out of the equation.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I would look for an ocean boat and then maybe a drift boat for the Kenai. Much quieter with alot less wake. Joat is right, you need multiple boats to do all you want to do and do it right.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Multiple Boats

Even though I do like to get out in my Klamath I've got to admit that I also have a drift boat and a couple of hand made kayaks.Made the drifter and the kayaks myself.Look for the kayaks on the Swanson River for silvers,the mini-drifter will be on the upper Kenai as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Joat is spot on!!!

Problem you run into if you want the Kenia and Ocean is 50 HP limit. In an 18' boat in following seas with a 50 HP, you will be in a world of hurt. Been there, got that, got the T-shirt. I had an 18' Jetcraft with a 50. Had a following seas incident that I am lucky to be here, and a rip tide incident that scared the crap out of me so bad, my boat got immediatly repowered to a 90 honda with a hydraulic transome lift. It afforded me to fish the ocean but still had to pick my days, and fish other lakes and rivers other than the Kenia which I could still dipnet. My hard headed brother in law went against my advise last year and took his kenia boat to homer and when the weather picked up he got caught. He called me right after that and said he will never do that again. He was not an experienced boat owner to begin with. My advise, decide what is your favorite fishery, buy a boat for it and find a friend that has a boat for the other fishery or get a guide for a few trips a year, you will be money ahead.
    There is nothing scarier (IMOP) than being in the middle of the big bad ocean when it raises its ugly in a boat that was designed for use in the river. It is scary enough when in a boat that was designed for that kind of use. I see guys out by Pony Cove and even as far as Johnstone Bay sometimes in 16-17 foot boats and it really leaves me scratching my head how they could risk it. Another option that nobody discusses much is buying your ocean boat and using the heck out of it in the green water, and then just taking a charter a couple times a year on the Kenai to wet that king whistle. It basically what I do.....

I tried the Do it all boat thing too. But I was looking for an all around river boat including the kenai. I fished the kenai a bunch last year and my boat choice was pretty poor for fishing the kenai. Mostly due to me having a jet. But a jon boat on the kenai gets a beating from all the wake too.

I think honestly all a guy needs for the kenai is a 16 foot v with a 20 horse on it. Most all you do is back troll or drift, there really isnt anywhere that you need to get to in a hurry so you dont need a big motor.

So Id get you a good ocean boat and look for a little skiff with a affordable small hp 4 stroke on it for the kenai. Thats what Im gonna do

There is a reason why the 16' or 18' Lund is the quintessential boat found throughout Alaska from Southeast to Barrow and inbetween and deep in the heart of the interior. Don't believe me check out Alaska Geographic back issues.

You can get a new one for $3,500 plus trailer $1,200 and a 25 hp $2,500 or you can find a used package for I've seen em as cheap as $1200 boat trailer engine usually a decent package for $3,000.

People will knock em but I am just telling you the truth, and I don't own one.

Good for the rivers and good sea boats. One of my boats is a 1652 jon boat and for rivers it is great, but in the salt when the seas come up you don't want to be out in a jon.

Sobie2

Koffler Bay Bee. I think they still make it. comes in a 20' model. Has a V style hull. Will get around just fine on 50 hp. I see them (or a similar model) often in Homer. The thing about fishing the bay or Cook Inlet is, you have to pick your day, have an ever watchful eye on the weather, and have the courage to say after you're there and see it, "not today" or "it's time to leave right now" even if you just got out there. They are a great Kenai river boat as well. I'm sure many here disagree, but I spent many years in a 18' skiff in salt. Only got in over my head once because I didn't have the courage to say no. It doesn't have to be a near death experience to learn a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Even though I do like to get out in my Klamath I've got to admit that I also have a drift boat and a couple of hand made kayaks.Made the drifter and the kayaks myself.Look for the kayaks on the Swanson River for silvers,the mini-drifter will be on the upper Kenai as soon as possible.

Mark,
    Kind of off subject, but what type of Kayaks are you building? I'm currently building a cedar strip kayak in my garage...

Another vote for, there isn't an all around boat so pick your use and get a boat appropriate for it.

Even for a day use boat in the ocean, IMHO the boat should be capable of safely handling a 4 foot chop. It really doesn't take much of an afternoon wind to get the water up 2-4 feet, and not all waters offer spots to hide out in.

Charterboat Operator

I have got to go against the grain on this one. after spending the first 20 years of my boating career running the kenai, and cook inlet in small boats, I have to go with the fact that you can be safe and have fun, lots of it in one. I have graduated to a large aluminum twin 150 powered gas guzzeling monster that is dry safe and comfortable, BUT, i sure do miss the skiff days!
    No 50.00 launch fee, launch from the beach! No 100 gas bill running out to catch a couple of halibut and troll for a couple of hours.
    I started out in a LFRB "little fun rubber boat" then graduated to aluminum, 16 then 18 klamath, then a 20 bay bee, All safe fun boats, yes you need to be carefull and pick your days, but if you are living on the Kenai, you HAVE a choice. beautiful calm day on the bay, go out and have fun, if its windy&rough, go fish the river, if its raining either put a suit on or stay in bed and read a book!
    you dont need a 30k+, 24ft or bigger boat to go and catch a couple of halibut or troll for saltwater kings, and you certainly cant take a big one on the Kenai. A Klamath, bayrunner, or lund bait would serve your needs just fine. and if you dont belive me, contact Roland on the River, 60+ years young and he runs all over cook inlet chasing kings and halibut in his 20 foot predator, then calls you up to rub it in that he is slaying kings or silvers on the Kenai!

just my .02!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    There is nothing scarier (IMOP) than being in the middle of the big bad ocean when it raises its ugly in a boat that was designed for use in the river. It is scary enough when in a boat that was designed for that kind of use. I see guys out by Pony Cove and even as far as Johnstone Bay sometimes in 16-17 foot boats and it really leaves me scratching my head how they could risk it. Another option that nobody discusses much is buying your ocean boat and using the heck out of it in the green water, and then just taking a charter a couple times a year on the Kenai to wet that king whistle. It basically what I do.....

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I tried the Do it all boat thing too. But I was looking for an all around river boat including the kenai. I fished the kenai a bunch last year and my boat choice was pretty poor for fishing the kenai. Mostly due to me having a jet. But a jon boat on the kenai gets a beating from all the wake too.

I think honestly all a guy needs for the kenai is a 16 foot v with a 20 horse on it. Most all you do is back troll or drift, there really isnt anywhere that you need to get to in a hurry so you dont need a big motor.

So Id get you a good ocean boat and look for a little skiff with a affordable small hp 4 stroke on it for the kenai. Thats what Im gonna do
    My familiy and I decided to get rid of our 18'Jetcraft and bought a Hewescraft 240 Alaskan 2 years ago as we fell in love with the ocean and had enough enough scares with mother nature. Also, most women are not fond of using a coffee can if you know what I mean. Best move I made.

Went to the boat show a few days ago. Deweys has a heck of a deal for a G-3 16' skiff with a 15 4 stroke yamaha and trailer for 5000 bucks. Smoking deal. For 300 more you can upgrade to a 20Hp. Perfect little Kenia boat IMO.

Default It's doable...

Gotta agree with Homertime, sobie, & polebender on this. Like the guy said, Lunds are like litter all over alaska, Bayrunners/Klamath not too far behind.
    As stated already, PICK your days, have all the safety equipment, backup power, file a floatplan with someone. It doesn't take a genius to keep an eye on the weather and you shouldn't be so far out anyway if you can't pick up and run when you want to safety.

I agree 100% that there isn't a perfect "do it all" boat, but the poster asked for an all-purpose aluminum boat, not a perfect one.

I'd love to get a nice Hewes or similar for the salt as we already have a 16' jon for the Kenai but I wouldn't hesitate to get a Klamath w/50 hp as money unfortunately doesn't fall off the trees where I live. Find someone who's been around the Cook Inlet charter scene for a while and ask them what the most common boat was in the early days (hint: it wasn't a Hewescraft, North River, Seasport, etc. and they weren't typically over 20')

Mark's got the most sensible compromise IMO; I think the best thing going for the Klamaths/Bayrunners is the high bow.

Jim
    P.S. we've had our 16' jon w/25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha for 3 years now, I love the boat for the river but wish it had another 10 hp (it does pretty good w/2 guys). Do not settle for less than 25 hp minimum, especially if you want to take 3 or 4 people.

Good luck no matter what you decide, it's all about having fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast