Thread: Fort Rich Hunt

Default Fort Rich Hunt

What a great hunt. Didn't kill a moose, but..... wow, what a great time. Saw lots of moose outside the shoot zone and only 2 inside that I couldn't close the deal on. Oh well. I got to spend a lot of quality time with my 10 yr old daughter, snowshoeing around the woods. Saw lots of squirrels, eagles, magpies and ravens. Not sure who chatters more, a raven or a 10 yr old girl, Ha!

We had a great time. I would really like to thank the powers that be on Fort Richardson for allowing all the recreational activity. What a sweet jewel in the backyard of Anchorage.

Michael

Yeah I agree it was a great hunt huh?

Saw lots of moose outside the shoot zone and only 2 inside that I couldn't close the deal on.

I think every moose has a post recreation map and a cell phone. Its amazing the moose you see in closed areas and at times, really close to the boundry lines. Its by far not a walk in the park hunt. At least you had fun and memories with your daughter.

Default tally

anybody know the final numbers for this hunt? only read one or two successful hunts on here and wondering if there was more, gotta be. I scored a few years ago and put in for it every year since its so close and so fun. managed well too

I know of 25, but haven't seen the final official tally.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

We had a great time. I would really like to thank the powers that be on Fort Richardson for allowing all the recreational activity. What a sweet jewel in the backyard of Anchorage.

Michael
    Couldn't agree more. Sometimes a hunt is successful in many more ways than a punched tag.

My father-in-law had a muzzle loader tag a few years back and we encountered the same story. That year, a number of archery guys were successful on base, but that was it. After a long season, we only saw about 15 cows and one small bull we failed to harvest. All and all the hunt was great, close to home, and we only had one minor problem with military exercises that the MP desk wasn't aware of. Long story short we left with one hell of a story and we got to have lunch with a number of great guys who frankly would rather have been hunting than on the target range.

Oh, they also told us about moose out there in the closed area's. Yep, you guessed it... huge. Sadly, those premium area's never did open up all season long. I hear this is the norm on base year after year.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Success Rate

This years success rate for the winter Fort Rich hunt ended up being 56% (27/48). There were 6 Bulls and 21 Cows taken this year.
    DJ

Default Much better than the muzzleloaders

That may help explain why so few moose were being seen by the blackpowder hunters across the Glenn. They only harvested 6 bulls and 0 cows, for a success rate of 26% (6/23 permits that were picked up).

Was a tough hunt this year, but one I'd gladly participate in again, if I get so lucky.

It was a great time hunting ft rich. I took a medium bull sept 27 (second day I hunted) My friend and I put in another 10 days for him and never connected. Seen a couple more bulls but couldnt get them called in or get in bow range. Called in a couple to bow range but couldnt get a clear shot, and one wouldnt show himself.

Harry
    09-27-09-moose.jpg