Thread: My first Sitka Blacktail

Default My first Sitka Blacktail

Having moved here in February of last year, I still am not a resident. I could only afford one tag for deer due to having to buy 2 $250.00 trapping licenses for the whole season (nonresident is only good until Dec 31). I seen several deer this season on Admiralty but held out from shooting one until I seen one I liked. This guy fit the bill.

No interesting story really, I was out setting traps and checking part of my line when I seen this guy, for the second time. The first time he didnt give me a clear good shot so I passed on him. This time he walked out onto the beach as I was making a mink set. .375 H&H, one shot, down he went.

First picture is when I was walking up to him after shooting and the second is back at home on the beach.

The otter was an added bonus for the day)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Good lookin deer, congrats.

Good job, welcome to Alaska.

Scope bite? Or just some red war paint? Great job, and welcome to the Alaska Venison eaters club!

Not even a resident yet and you are tearing it up. Nice buck and congrats on the otter.

Looks like a perfect day in SE!

Default nice

That first one is a great picture ....

Best Deer meat your ever had ?

Nice looking buck and good job on the otter as well! Welcome to Alaska.

Even residents have to buy a new license on 1 Jan.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Nice deer, very symetrical and good dark blacktail color. They are tasty too.

Nice rifle. Sako, M70 ?

Congratulations on your first....not likely to be your last I'm sure. It is a fine looking animal; and, as others have stated, quite tasty - those blacktails. You sure did not take long to settle in to Alaska. . .good for you and welcome.

Awesome deer you got there!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nice deer. looks to be a big one. Was that picture taken recently? Looks like nice weather! Snow free!

Steelie, great deer, tastes great. Now if you can only educate the rest of the non res who don't take their licks and buy the licenses and tags before claiming to be a res. When you do get your res license, it will feel pretty cool. I remember getting mine after buying non res 1 or 3 day licenses for a few weeks leading up.
    Pet peeve of mine, not trying to hi jack. GREAT DEER!

Default very nice

thanks for sharing the pictures with us and congrats on your fisrt deer, what a beauty! Why are you carrying the cannon on a trap line this time of year? Not trying to bust your chops or anything, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    thanks for sharing the pictures with us and congrats on your fisrt deer, what a beauty! Why are you carrying the cannon on a trap line this time of year? Not trying to bust your chops or anything, just curious.
    Obviously it was incase he spotted a nice deer! Still no blacktail in my short list of game taken but I am going to have to remedy that in the next season or two!

Default Good show

Congrats brother! It's nice to see your making a good go-of-it. Folks if you don't remember this man made plans last year to come up here and live fairly minimalist guiding and trapping off Admiralty. It's nice to see you being a man of your word and walking the talk.

I wish you many successful and peaceful years in SE.

Now go fire up the BBQ!

Welcome to SE. Nice buck! Congrats on the otter, I love trapping those things. Wish they had the price of a few years ago.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and comments.

Yes, they are the best eating deer I have ever eaten. I have killed many whitetails, mulies, California or columbian blacktails, even some exotic deer in Texas, none taste as good as Sitka Blacktail.

I was fortunate to be able to get some moose meat from moose camp where I worked as a packer, if not, I would be out of deer meat by now.lol. I cant stop eating it. The moose is awesome too.

No scope bite, just wrinkles from squinting in the sun all the years I have been out and about.

Not much snow here at all this year, since Dec 1 there has been snow on the ground a total of 13 days. It is supposed to snow later in the days ahead, I am hopeful it will, making trapping difficult with all the rain and no snow.

The gun is a Model 70. I love it, actually bought it off here as well as my pistol. I carry the 375 for bear back up mainly. I am solo, so bigger gun is better in my opinion. The bears were out pretty late here on Admiralty, atleast in my area. I had one on my trap line eating all my catch until I pulled and moved it. I cut a track 3 days ago also. Its been warm and raining like crazy, so I am figuring the den must of got wet and he moved out to find a new bed.

After Jan 1, I started carrying my shotgun, loaded with 9 Breneke (spelling) slugs. Just easier to carry with all my gear and such. I also have a Ruger 480 strapped to my hip, so if I do run into a problem, I can protect myself.

Jtm9 Thanks, I would rather spend the coin then lie about my residency, not worth it to me to take a chance. February 27, I become a resident. Come spring, be prepared to see my new pictures of my First Brown bear. Also going to do some Blackie hunting, although I have killed many in years past elsewhere in the counrty.

Bighorse, Thanks. I am a man of my word, thats a fact. I am loving it here. Could not be anywhere else that would fullfill my life like Alaska has. Hey, I may be contacting you for details about the Goats over that way. My boss and I are going to either take one of our guide boats, or the float plane over and try for goats this next fall, atleast thats the plan right now. I may need some assistance in locating a general area to start out. Not looking for hot spots, just some details as to where we should begin.

Again, thanks for the compliments folks.
    Last edited by steeliekingfisher; 01-16-2010 at 15:29. Reason: typo, probably more also.lol
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Default Welcome

Thats a dandy buck and looks like a real hard pack!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Thumbs up Sweet!

Awesome Rifle! Oop's' Meant To Say BlackTail!
    I'm Very Much Jealous!

Sweet is right! Nice buck. After spending 25 years chasing whitetails I have the itch to do some deer hunting again, hopefully down that way. Congrats on a great buck!
    Paul