Thread: 8mm Rem Mag Projectiles

Default 8mm Rem Mag Projectiles

Hi All,
    This is my first time on and im from Aussie.I used to have a 8mm Rem Mag about 15 years ago and sold it,looking to purchase a little used gun of the same Cal.again. Could anyone supply info on projectiles that will hold together at the velocities it can be loaded to?

200 gr speer, 200 gr nosler partition, barnes 180 gr tsx will stay intact. I've had a 8mm rem mag since 1977, great gun.

Thanks for that, had heard the Barnes proj. were good,can they all be loaded pretty hard ? Had tried some R.W.S stuff before and they couldnt hack it, even their solid broke up

Talking Barnes

I shoot the Barnes X 180gr in my 8mm338 at around 3250fps and have had excellent results. Nosler would be my next choice, which I used before Barnes came out with the X.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I use 200 grain swift Aframe and 200 grain barnes tsx with good results. Both are tough as nails and handle the velocity of the big 8 with aplomb.

Thanks for the info all, 8MM Rem Mags are like hens teeth in Oz, as is finding someone who has used one.Used my old one on Buffalo and pig in Oz and on plains game in Zimbabwe, loved shooting it even with sussy pills it still poleaxed them all.Can only be better this time around

220 gr Sierra Gameking is another. Sierra designed it specifically for the 8mm Rem Mag. It has a thicker jacket. I think Barnes and Woodleigh used to make a 250gr .323, it seems the big case of the 8mm begs for that heavier bullet.

If you can't get your hands on a Big 8 you could try the Little 8, the 325 wsm. It's a .323 and ballistics come close to the Big 8 unless you are really loading the Big 8 hot. 180gr at 3100, 200gr at 2950, 220 gr at 2800. This is what I've gotten out of my Little 8 with a 23 inch barrel experimenting with only one powder.

Thanks Synd and others,have put in a offer for a as new factory syn.stocked 8MM Rem Mag [fired 4 rounds if true ],waiting 4 a reply.You all mentioned the Barnes X 180gn pills, what animals [size ] do you use them on? Would they be suitable 4 Goats,pigs and small Deer up to say your Pronghorn size animals.Are the 200 Speer and Nosler and the 220 Sierra Game Kings etc suitable for Caribou etc up to just below Moose [ Suit our Red and Sambar Deer].Snyd you mentioned Woodleigh 250gn Rn Sn pills,i did some checking, thought they might be worth a try as their recommended impact Velocities is up to 2700fps,would they suit our Wild Bull [Cattle ] and Buffalo and your Moose.One last thing all , what powders do you use?Thanks again for your imput
    Cheers

Excellent! Hopefully your get your Big 8!

I loaded up some 180 TSX's for a sheep hunt last year but didn't pull a trigger but I watched my buddy kill a ram with 165 TSX in 300 wsm. I have shot sheep and moose with 200gr Nosler Accubonds and a griz with 220 gamekings. Sheep at 400yds, Moose at 315 and Griz at 165. They all worked. I say any of the 180 and up 8mm bullets will get the job done. If I were going after coastal brown bear or maybe even buffalo I'd probably work up a load with a 220gr A-frame. If you keep your eyes peeled you might be able to find a couple old boxes of the 250gr Barnes bullets around.

Have taken all that on board , will let you all know how it goes, thanks again

Hey Snyd, what was the powder you were using in your .325

Quote Originally Posted by muzzle blast View Post
    hey snyd, what was the powder you were using in your .325
    imr 4007 ssc

Thanks again,will try and source some over here.

I'd do some research on that. It may not be a good powder for the Big 8. Check manuals, load data sources and other guys who load for it.

I have had good results with RL22 in the 8mm magnum.

Will be going to Brisvagas on weekend and will check a couple of gun shops for available powders and a reloading manual.

Have been in contact with the boys at Woodleigh bullets [www.woodleighbullets.com.au ] on suitable projectiles for the Big 8 and i was told their 220gn Protected Point [Item 64 G ] and their 250gn SN [ Item 64 D ] would be suitable for use in the 8 mm R M .They might be of use in the 325 wsm also for heavy close work