Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Glock ammo question

Default 10mm Glock ammo question

Just a question for those of you who own Glock 10mms. have any of you shot Double Tap cast bullets in them? I think they would be the best round out there for penetration. My son wants to carry it while we are up there. I have a .454 but he wants to carry on the rivers. Any thoughts?

cast bullets and Glocks dont mix.

The best 10mm bear loads are made by Cor Bon

For 100 bucks you can get a lone wolf barrel for your glock that has normal rifling and then you can shoot cast though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    cast bullets and Glocks dont mix.

The best 10mm bear loads are made by Cor Bon
    Only if someone is ignorant enough to pay for cor bon.

If stock barrels, then the 200gr. Double Tap XTP is a good choice, controlled expansion. The hardcast is gas checked and I have customers shooting 200gr. and 230gr. WFNGC hardcast just fine and they like it. Very hard stuff and no much leading, but always good to keep and eye on it and clean the barrel more regurlarly.
    The wide flat nose is what will do damage to the bear. Most other 10mm ammo weather it is full metal jacket or hardcast just is not near as WIDE as Double Tap.
    Cool thing about you being down in the states is that shipping is not as bad. Buy a box or two and try them out before coming up.

Thanks for asking this question, and thanks to those who replied...I had the same question about these rounds in a Glock, and was planning on asking soon. The Glock isn't my first choice in a bear defense handgun, but my wife doesn't as reliably/accurately handle a .44 Mag revolver (due to hand strength/size, not a lack of practice) as well as she can a Glock, so we rather needed to know about the DT rounds for her sake.

Glock says NO, their barrels are not suited for lead . . . any lead by any ammo maker gas checked or not! This is due to the way they cut their rifling, itís very prone to leading and many a Glock has been blown up from leading after less than a box of ammo. Can it be gotten away with? Sure . . . if you watch it way closer than anyone ever will, if not it can bite you bad. If youíre going to shoot more than one magazine worth of lead just pick up a Lone Wolf barrel and be done with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Glock says NO, their barrels are not suited for lead . . . any lead by any ammo maker gas checked or not!... due to the way they cut their rifling... very prone to leading and many a Glock has been blown up from leading after less than a box of ammo...
    Wow. How'd you find that out? I'd be interested in learning more.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Thanks.

Its in the owners manual that comes with the glock.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Thanks.
    Just by reading the user manual that came with my Glock and tons third party sources . . . like this one:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Critical%20Look%20at%20the%20Glock%2017.htm
    "Glock nixes the use of cast bullets in their pistols due to the hexagonal rifling, which leads badly with some alloys and can raise pressures. When pressures exceed a certain point the weakest link in the chain breaks and this is usually the unsupported case head. I have seen badly bulged cases firing standard pressure ammunition in .40, .45 and 10mm Glocks, but have not seen it in 9mm."

Or this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling
    "The manufacturer Glock advises against using lead bullets (meaning bullets not covered by a copper jacket) in their polygonally rifled barrels. . . . Some have made a point of the fact that neither H&K nor Kahr explicitly recommend against lead bullets in their polygonal rifled barrels, and feel that it is probable that there is an additional factor involved in Glock's warning."

There are a lot of guys that say it's not an issue but there are also many that have had issues with cast in Glocks. So to me when Glock says no, there are pictures of Glocks floating around that were damaged by pressure from leading, and there is a cheap fix why mess with it? Just get a barrel that the maker stands behind using with lead and go shoot some.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

There are a lot of guys that say it's not an issue but there are also many that have had issues with cast in Glocks. So to me when Glock says no, there are pictures of Glocks floating around that were damaged by pressure from leading, and there is a cheap fix why mess with it? Just get a barrel that the maker stands behind using with lead and go shoot some.
    Double Tap offers 14 loads for the 10mm! Only 2 are hardcast! On the other hand, I talked personally with the GLOCK FACTORY REP at the sportsman show. They put the NO LEAD in the manuals because they have to cover their butts he said. People will cast softer leads=which leads to leading. Really hard hardcast is a lot better, but still need to check for leading.

I am not telling anyone to use hardcast of any brand in their guns. Just that I know of people who do and they report no problems with the 10mm and Double Tap hardcast.

I know Murphy (who has likely shot more than most of us combined) has done extensive testing with factory Glocks and hardcast lead. IIRC, he said that you can shoot hardcast through polygonal rifling, just pay attention to your barrel. Softcast lead is a different story and he advised not shooting them at all...

I know Glock says no, and I haven't shot any hardcast through my stocker 10mm barrel, but have shot the DoubleTap ammo through a lone wolf barrel.

Default Hmmm...more info...

More on this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31559

In that thread, Murphy asks about lead buildup in the mouth of the chamber.
    1. Anyone notice lead buildup in mouth of chamber with factory barrel?
    2. Everyone have good experiences (no lead buildup in barrel or mouth of chamber) with barrels by Lone Wolf, KKM, Jarvis, etc?

Thanks.

really? Guess there are tons of ignorant shooters out there

Perhaps some feeding, velocity, penetration, SD, ES tests are in order between your pet ammo and Cor Bon. 200 grain penetrator vs?

I'll mention your comment to Peter Pi when I see him at the Shot Show.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post

If stock barrels, then the 200gr. Double Tap XTP is a good choice, controlled expansion. The hardcast is gas checked and I have customers shooting 200gr. and 230gr. WFNGC hardcast just fine and they like it. Very hard stuff and no much leading, but always good to keep and eye on it and clean the barrel more regurlarly.
    The wide flat nose is what will do damage to the bear. Most other 10mm ammo weather it is full metal jacket or hardcast just is not near as WIDE as Double Tap.
    Cool thing about you being down in the states is that shipping is not as bad. Buy a box or two and try them out before coming up.
    Either I'm ignorant for buying cor bon, or you have to berate your competition to move your product. Hmmmmmm......

I've got a G20 with Heinie night sights. Jacketed ammo shoots great. Put a 6" LW barrel/spring/guide rod and tried the DT 200 and 230 hardcast. 230 was 4"-5" high from point of aim, 200 was about 3" high. This was at 20 yards. I use a firm two hand hold. I'm assuming heavier bullet and more muzzle flip. Anyone else shooting these to point of aim? Maybe I'm missing something? I'd like to hunt with this without having to compensate for hold.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Either I'm ignorant for buying cor bon, or you have to berate your competition to move your product. Hmmmmmm......

No I was not trying to berate any competition or any other brand of ammo. Just that personally I can not pay $35 a box for 20, did for some Buffalo Bore, shot great but no hardcast. Back to the point though, where Double Tap is just as hot if not slightly hotter than the two, well more FPS anyways, and is $41 for a BOX OF 50. That is what my comment was about. Never said anything about his customers or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    I've got a G20 with Heinie night sights. Jacketed ammo shoots great. Put a 6" LW barrel/spring/guide rod and tried the DT 200 and 230 hardcast. 230 was 4"-5" high from point of aim, 200 was about 3" high. This was at 20 yards. I use a firm two hand hold. I'm assuming heavier bullet and more muzzle flip. Anyone else shooting these to point of aim? Maybe I'm missing something? I'd like to hunt with this without having to compensate for hold.
    First thing comes to mind is trigger pull. I know sometimes it takes me a few rounds get back into the groove with the glock. I don't shoot often and the triggers different. I am getting better. Plus I made the trigger pull smoother and lighter and that seems very nice. Only shot the new set up 30 rounds while out bunny hunting last weekend. I have a 6" barrel also and put 10 of the one and 9 of the other on a paper plate at 26 snow shoe paces. First time shooting the gun since last winter or very early spring. I could see the branches moving on the bush, was close to plate. Plus the trigger is so much smoother and lighter I had to accustome myself to that. Plus with gloves on for most of the first mag, then removed those and put the remainder on the plate in a nice group. Then went to the lighter load. Sight picture didnt change, but one of the two was a little lower, would have to think it was the 230, but not more than 2" difference between the two.

I like the 200gr for shooting out to 50 yards. The 230gr for close in work. I am thinking of just carrying the 230gr and getting used to that at 50 yards.
    Other than trigger pull I have no idea. Except for maybe the extra barrel length, sounds like you change out barrels for the hardcast compared to jacketed? I ordered a long slide from LWD to get the longer sight radius. Not here yet, still back ordered.

I took a buddy out hunting for bear in PWS. He had a glock, before I had mine. He had Cor Bon, not sure what load but it was jacketed or FMJ. He couldn't hit a jug that washed ashore for the life of him. I know for a fact it was trigger pull! At the range earlier he had his G20 and I had my sig .40S&W. We were both shooting bullseyes that day at whatever distance. So it was just funny to see him miss with a whole mag. full.

Thanks for the insight. I'm confident in my trigger pull and shooting ability, so far. I'm wondering about the heavier bullet/recoil/muzzle rise/bullet time in barrel. May try a heavier recoil spring than the stock one to compensate. Still hoping someone went though this and has some suggestions...I hope I'm not the only one shooting DT230's and not hitting point of aim.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I'm confident in my trigger pull and shooting ability, so far. I'm wondering about the heavier bullet/recoil/muzzle rise/bullet time in barrel. May try a heavier recoil spring than the stock one to compensate. Still hoping someone went though this and has some suggestions...I hope I'm not the only one shooting DT230's and not hitting point of aim.
    I definately recommend a 20 or 22# spring with a stainless rod. I currently have a 22# on a captured rod. Shoots the DT just fine. I had a 20# before.

With the 20# I could feel the difference between the two rounds. The 230gr hit a little harder in the palm. Last weekend shooting the two rounds I didn't notice a huge difference between the two with the 22# spring.

The heavier spring will also reduce felt recoil, maybe muzzle flip-I only shot the 20# spring, sold the stock barrel and spring instantly. I am no gun smith or expert. Just what I have noticed and it was recommended by others. I am happy with the set up.

What yardage were you shooting. I always heard the glock are set up for 3" group at 25 yards.

I have a captured stainless rod and 20# spring in stock if ya want to check it. Can check out my G20 with the 22# also. It is always nice to have hands and look things over. Other than I don't know about DT shooting high or low. Are your sights factory?

Default thanks

I had Heinie install his tritium sights which I believe are factory height, Dead on with 180 to 200 grain factory ammo. I'm using the Lone Wolf stainless rod captured 17lb spring which may be my problem. I am hitting high, but groups are in the 2" range at 20 yards. I, too, notice the difference in my palm when shooting the 230 grain hardcast. Snappy but not uncomfortable. My recoil spring poundage may be the culprit. I'll have to try the 22lb spring like you have. That may slow the recoil impulse enough to get my shots back down. At first, I was thinking my new 6"LW barrel may not be straight. My sincere appreciation for your help and experience which will save me time and money. pm sent your way...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast