Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match primers?

Default Match primers?

I ran out of CCI-BR2 and Feed 210M match primers. My last trip to Anchorage yielded nothing worth while at Sportsmans Warehouse or GNG...

My last load experiments were conducted using 1973 vintage CCI primers.

Any ideas???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Great Northern Guns Had CCI BR-2's last week

You might give them a call before making a trip, but I bought 300 of the BR-2's from them last week. Very expensive-$6 per box.
    Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    Very expensive-$6 per box.
    Regards,
    Jim
    What a rip off. Three times the normal rate, when will this nonsense end?

Gator Guns has 210Ms 283-7947
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

GNG's wholesale cost is a little over 4.00 a box for BR-2's. How much profit would you dictate that they make? Not a ripoff the way I see it. Shooters seem to expect to get things for wholesale, but will pay double markup on TV's, furniture and the like, and get all cranky when someone other than themselves make a fair profit.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

That's a big Ten-Roger...

Regular primers have been going for $3.50 to $4.50 a box for the last year...
    I have paid $6.00 per 100 for match primers more than once in the last year...

The primers I have from 1973 still have $1.25 stickers on them...

I think the ones from the Clinton era have $2.75 to $2.90

Oh course we are talking Alaska prices here.... We have higher prices and God's force-field (winter) to help cut down on the ner-do-wells.

Prior to the Obama fiasco I was paying $19.95 per thousand locally for 200's and 250's. BR2's were $29.95 per thousand, that's what I'm referencing.

When I came back from far away and had to travel through Nellis AFB / Las Vegas, I noticed your lower 48 prices were much better.. But the airlines would not let me on the plane with 3,000 primers.. Talk about narrow minded,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    When I came back from far away and had to travel through Nellis AFB / Las Vegas, I noticed your lower 48 prices were much better.. But the airlines would not let me on the plane with 3,000 primers.. Talk about narrow minded,,,
    You crack me up...

Attempting to carry dangerous goods on a flight or shipping them as cargo could result in prosecution by federal authorities. Civil and criminal penalties include a maximum of five years' imprisonment and a fine of $250,000 or more.

I see you do commercial ops, do you have a 135 certificate or do you stick with part 91 stuff? I ask because you may have one of the orange haz-mat books nearby. I'm sure that primers and other explosives would be listed as a no-go in air transportation.

We keep it simply on the passenger jets, no haz-mat at all. Correction, we do carry up to 5.5 pounds of dry ice but there are other conditions and restrictions associated with that.

I generally refer all questions to the load master and look in the book rather than try to memorize anything, to many little BS issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Shooters seem to expect to get things for wholesale, but will pay double markup on TV's, furniture and the like, and get all cranky when someone other than themselves make a fair profit.
    I'm sure the profit margin was exactly the same at the pre Obama price for the retailers. They generally double their money on the small stuff.

If they paid $10.00 per 1000 and sold it for $19.95 it's the same margin as buying it for $20.00 and selling it for $39.95. They're not making more profit on their money, just more money on each sale.

It's the manufactures that have raised the prices to the suppliers and that has hurt us all. I'm not sure if there were more taxes levied on the goods or just old fashion economics associated with supply and demand.

How about the passenger that complains about a $199.00 dollar fair to Seattle and gets there in 2.5 hours? That same guy couldn't fill his Diesel truck fuel tank twice for the same amount of cash and drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage and back in 10 hours.

Float pilot, my dear Internet friend, here is the low down on BR primers. It is at best a crap shoot. You are only playing a statical game with match primers being any different than the other primers off the shelf of the same brand or make. In high power the best primers have been Wolf and they seem to be the mildest of all primers we use of(all primers) from the States.

What the hardest thing seems to do s finding out how each of the different manufactures select match primers from the also runs.

I no I am messing with and awful lot of preconceived idea with this statement but you have to find out in the rifle you are loading for and that Sir costs a lot of time and money to do.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

You crack me up.
    It was supposed to... Did the humor wagon stop in your town?

Big Al...

I have been playing around with different primers and the Match primers are not the best for some loads,, However I NEED them for a couple of my pet competition loads. Like this one which was fired with Iron Sights at 100 yards.. that is 8 shots...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6.5 swede 120gr loads with RL19 002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Big Al...

I have been playing around with different primers and the Match primers are not the best for some loads,, However I NEED them for a couple of my pet competition loads. Like this one which was fired with Iron Sights at 100 yards.. that is 8 shots...

What you want to judge is the target agg of all the targets in a match, no single groups or best of a group. It does not work that way, no you need a match aggregate. The same goes for any and all changes in the aggregate with each component change. You will learn much more about the rifle and the conditions you shoot in this way. I do hope you have a good score book and are not only calling the shots but are doing a target plot in your score book.

This is the only way I know to make judgements without errors or as many.

Following any other process would cost huge time and money.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I do hope you have a good score book and are not only calling the shots but are doing a target plot in your score book.
    Since Nixon was the President.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    You crack me up...

Attempting to carry dangerous goods on a flight or shipping them as cargo could result in prosecution by federal authorities. Civil and criminal penalties include a maximum of five years' imprisonment and a fine of $250,000 or more.

I see you do commercial ops, do you have a 135 certificate or do you stick with part 91 stuff? I ask because you may have one of the orange haz-mat books nearby. I'm sure that primers and other explosives would be listed as a no-go in air transportation.

We keep it simply on the passenger jets, no haz-mat at all. Correction, we do carry up to 5.5 pounds of dry ice but there are other conditions and restrictions associated with that.

I generally refer all questions to the load master and look in the book rather than try to memorize anything, to many little BS issues.

Coincidentally, I am a loadmaster, and Primers are classified as 1.4S, packaging group II, and have no restrictions LEGALLY on being transported in passenger aircraft. All it technically needs is a Hazardous Declaration for Dangerous Goods.

Unfortunately, it's just too much of a hassle for airlines to deal with, so it's just a blanket "no."

Coincidentally, I am a loadmaster, and Primers are classified as 1.4S, packaging group II, and have no restrictions LEGALLY on being transported in passenger aircraft. All it technically needs is a Hazardous Declaration for Dangerous Goods.

Unfortunately, it's just too much of a hassle for airlines to deal with, so it's just a blanket "no."
    Not to mention the fact that the contents of the whiskey bottles on the blasted beverage cart are much more flammable and dangerous than any brick of primers could ever be...

Well this thread sure has gone off the res.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post

Yep, pretty much anything that has a haz mat sticker on the box is a no go in my world. Back in the freight hauling days of my youth I took virtually anything as long as it was not leaking.

Well this thread sure has gone off the res.[/QUOTE]

Still here and not letting you down.

Float Pilot,

My favorite little shopping spot has BR2's in stock. I'm not sure about shipping to Alaska since I just drive over and get what I need.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...egory_Code=29C

The price per thousand sure has gone up in the last year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast