Thread: alaskan trout

Default alaskan trout

hi guys, im stationed at fort rich and i just got up here last spring im in 56th vcc and i lived in oregon my whole life i know everywhere to go fishing down there for all kinds of fish from bluegill and bass to northern pike and salmon to all species of trout. i have been mostly trout fishing ever sense i could hold a pole and well im getting ready to deploy to afgan in late summer to fall and i just want to hook into some beautiful trout. just to make it feel like back home before i go to combat. i would love to find a place close to fort rich if possible. please help thanks for your time

Hey man I am new up here too. I also came up from Oregon. I really don't know too many spots yet but we could hook up for some trips this spring in summer and figure some of it out if you want.

Default alaska trout

hi guys, im stationed at fort rich and i just got up here last spring im in 56th vcc and i lived in oregon my whole life i know everywhere to go fishing down there for all kinds of fish from bluegill and bass to northern pike and salmon to all species of trout. i have been mostly trout fishing ever sense i could hold a pole and well im getting ready to deploy to afgan in late summer to fall and i just want to hook into some beautiful trout. just to make it feel like back home before i go to combat. i would love to find a place close to fort rich if possible. and i was wondering if there is any good cheap places to buy fishing tackle. i have been to a few places on post and off but everything seems so dang expensive. and not a very good selection... i.e. hooks and just the basics like that. i like using lures but im more of a bait user. i fyou know what i mean. i also tie flies and would like to know some good flies to tie for trout up here. thank you very much guys

Quote Originally Posted by greene85 View Post
    hi guys, im stationed at fort rich and i just got up here last spring im in 56th vcc and i lived in oregon my whole life i know everywhere to go fishing down there for all kinds of fish from bluegill and bass to northern pike and salmon to all species of trout. i have been mostly trout fishing ever sense i could hold a pole and well im getting ready to deploy to afgan in late summer to fall and i just want to hook into some beautiful trout. just to make it feel like back home before i go to combat. i would love to find a place close to fort rich if possible. and i was wondering if there is any good cheap places to buy fishing tackle. i have been to a few places on post and off but everything seems so dang expensive. and not a very good selection... i.e. hooks and just the basics like that. i like using lures but im more of a bait user. i fyou know what i mean. i also tie flies and would like to know some good flies to tie for trout up here. thank you very much guys
    The fishin on base isnt too shabby. I've caught many as a younger guy. We used to skip class and go wheelin onto Ft Rich and hit the far end lakes
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Hit up the Parks highway streams (Willow, Sheep, Goose, Montana) in May through the summer. Look for pools holding salmon and throw a bead behind the salmon. Hit up the Kenai, there's some big trout in there. Like TWB said the base lakes have trout in them. Elmendorf has a few lakes that have trout in them.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"