Thread: ICF, double wall, or REMOTE

Default ICF, double wall, or REMOTE

Assuming everything works out with the bank, I'm going to be building a house this summer. My original plan was the double stud wall, but since then I have been checking out ICF and the Cold Climate Housing Research Centers REMOTE wall. I'm interested in hearing og you experiences with these types of construction.

We have supplied 6 houses that were built with the REMOTE system. Our local guys call them "outsulation". All of the homeowners are more than happy with the results and they've proven to be extremely energy efficient. One contractor that has built with both SIPS panels and REMOTE prefers the REMOTE system.

The benefits of the REMOTE system are numerous.
    • Very energy efficient with a super tight vapor barrier
    • Locally available materials. These houses are built completely out of materials available at your local building materials store. No out of state special orders needed.
    • Easy plumbing and electrical access vs. SIPS or ICF
    • Flexibility of changes while under construction vs. SIPS or ICF
    • Usually cheaper per/sf than SIPS or ICF
    I would caution, though, that if you are using a contractor that you find one with previous REMOTE experience. It's a tedious task to detail them properly and most tract house contractors aren't going to take the time to do it right. I can recommend a few contractors that have experience with these homes if you PM me. Most are willing to work in Wasilla, or may be willing to put you in touch with a contractor in Wasilla that they may know. If you are building it yourself, take the time to follow the cold climate guy's recommendations and it isn't that hard. Just detail oriented and a little more time consuming than regular framed construction.

I'll be building a 2000sf shop using the process this summer if my plans go right.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

do you have a website link for the "Remote" system? i googled it and i cant seem to find anything.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post

LOL, that link took me to the "Central Coast Hunting Retriever Club".

It is CCHRC just not a .com, it is a .org. But thank you, i got to where you intended, lot of good info on there.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

lol, It didnt occur to me the suffix might be different!