Thread: Hunting With The 358Win & 225gr Accubond

Default Hunting With The 358Win & 225gr Accubond

Jerry (GB300wm) and I have a ball this week hunting. Jerry killed a big 175 pound 7 point buck and I killed a small doe and a 145pound 8 point buck. I killed the doe with my 338Win mag and needless to say the 210gr Partition did to the doe what it did to a 5 point buck I killed two weeks ago, instant death.

The 225gr Accubond in my 358Win Ruger M77 Hawkeye is moving 2556fps and let me tell you that the 8 point that was hit with with the 225gr Accubond went down just like a sack of potatoes at 100yds, very impressive indeed.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are a few more pictures. We had two deer, two men on the four wheeler and that was just at 700 pounds and going through those swamps was something else.

Well, that is three deer that have fallen for me this year with one buck and one doe to the 210gr Partition out of my 338Win Mag and they dropped right where I shot them and one buck with the 225gr Accubond out of my 358Win and it dropped right where I shot it. NOT BAD NOSLER!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks like you baited them in with cherry pie,nice deer

Thumbs up

Nice deer, and good shooting!

The deer in South Louisiana where I went hunting are smaller than deer up north but they are sure fun to hunt and hard to get to in those swamps, but as I said it was fun indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am amazed that you can get the 225 grain accubond to seat correctly in the 358. That is a long bullet. I tried it in the 350 Rem Mag and I have to seat it so deep that the case mouth ends up by the ojive section...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I am amazed that you can get the 225 grain accubond to seat correctly in the 358. That is a long bullet. I tried it in the 350 Rem Mag and I have to seat it so deep that the case mouth ends up by the ojive section...
    Yes, it is a long bullet but the magazine of the Ruger M77 Hawkeye is over 2.990" and I seat the Accubond at 2.880" for accuracy in my rifle. Moving 2556fps on average with TAC powder and 215Fed primers.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

WOW!!!

That is longer than I can get away with for COL from my Ruger all weather in 350 Rem Mag.

That really lets the 358 win take a deep breath... Man I saw one (Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win) up in Kenai but did not enough money at the time...
    Oh the injustice....

Did you ever get this bullet to work in your old 350 RM ?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    WOW!!!

That is longer than I can get away with for COL from my Ruger all weather in 350 Rem Mag.

That really lets the 358 win take a deep breath... Man I saw one (Ruger Hawkeye in 358 Win) up in Kenai but did not enough money at the time...
    Oh the injustice....

Did you ever get this bullet to work in your old 350 RM ?
    No, I could not get it to work in my Mod 7 Remington. The bullet rob to much of the case space and was on the verge of actually falling into the case. I could not use it.

I can't tell you how impressive that 225gr bullet put that deer down. It just clasped but when it did it fell as though some giant put his hand on the back of the deer and shoved it to the ground. On top of that it did not blood shot the meat in the shoulders. The deer was put down hard and fast with a hole in one side and a silver dollar size hole out the other side. I am very impressed with this cartridge, it really is a cool cartridge. On Moose or big bear I would use the 225gr Partition but for everything else the 225gr Accubond is cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had the same impressive performance on whitetails with the 225gr Accubond out of my .358 Norma. 205 yds and dropped on the spot, no bloodshot meat at all.