Thread: repair to a delam

Default repair to a delam

I was given a black hawk hornet bow,0956,k744,52# @ 28". Thats all the markings on the bow and there is a small delam on the limb just short of the tip curve. It looks like it was hit there. 1/4"w and 1/2" long on the inner face along the edge. it doesn't go thru the outer layer of what appears to be white fiberglass. Can damage like this be dremmeled out and filled W/ epoxy resin? I've done a lot of glass work on boats and airplanes but this is old glass and I'm not sure what to bond it with. any help would be appreciated, thanks Tom

I need a pic Tom, might be a quick fix might not.......
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

As Rick P said. A picture is necessary to diagnose but I will go out on a limb (no pun) and say your best chance would be forcing super glue into the entire void of the delaminated area and clamp over night. Always carry a tube with you in the field for the unexpected fall or nick. Could mean the difference between hunting and watching.

I dont know if I'd use superglue...unless you plan on hanging this thing on the wall.

Superglue does work wonders, but I'd be leary of using it on a delam. Works great on chips nicks and dings however!

Buddy gave me a bow to tinker with, has a limb delaminating between the two center lams..gonna be a fun attempt at fixing it. Gotta love cheap junk lol.

Loctite 420
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default pic of the bow

Thanks for all the reply's , Here are some pic.'s of the bowbow repair 001.jpg

bow repair 002.jpg

It looks like a sharp object like a nail was driven into the side. I don't believe it can be easily repaired short of building a matching form, ripping the glass off with a draw knife and re-glueing with new glass. If you were in the bush and this was your only means of getting food. You might be able to thin Smooth-on or 2 Ton epoxy with acetone and force it into the cracks and void. Clap it over night and then wrap with nylon serving and 2 ton. Or just wrap it with rawhide. It would be ugly but hold until you could get a new bow. Nothing is unrepairable. I know a bowyer that repaired a completely delaminated Jerry Pierce by the above draw knife method.Good luck.

That's definitely a impact delam.....they are much harder to fix. You get down Anchorage way much? There is probably not much I can do with it but I'd really like the opportunity to try. Don't grind and fill, bows are much more dynamic than boats, it wont last and will cause further delamination.
    BHA Member

is that an all wood bow? Kinda dumb question after the first post but man those pics sure look like there is no glass there?

If not you could do the torges repair. Basically a drum sander, you sand a void, cut a matching piece using your drum sander as the template and glue it in. this is NOT for a glass bow repair though so if this is a glass bow DONT use this.

I wonder would it help if he wrapped it like an all wood bow, maybe with linen?

Default thanks guys

It was given to me so I guess its crying for me to try something. I'm going to take it to the engineering deptment of the university and see what new super glue's or special materials like carbon or graphite combo. I'll also see if they will do a stress and forcepoint analysas. Should be interesting at the very least. Thanks for the comments I'll post the results.
    Rick, I'm out of town right now but thanks for the offer to look at it. Tom

Dean's method works on the belly of wood bows but not on the back. It's great for compression but not tension. Silk and linen are good to keep the fibers from lifting off the back of a selfbow but are no help beyond the surface. Raw hide or sinew works like a vice but with this damage I think it would not work without forcing epoxy in the cracks and voids and clamping

It's difficult to see but if the glass is cracked horizontally across the damaged area then I believe you have a wall hanger. If the glass is in tack horizontally and the cracks in the glass run parallel with the limb then you may have a chance.

Work some Smooth-On or 2 ton epoxy thinned with acetone into the voids and cracks. Clamp it over night (be sure to use wooded blocks and masking tape) then wrap it with your favorite colored nylon serving. Saturate the serving with epoxy and you basically build a cast. If you wrap the other limb in the same spot it would look intentional.

man if it's glass in a working part of the limb, I'd hope it doesnt poke my eyes out when she blows LOL!

man if you could get that epoxy (warming and thinning the epoxy like was said) in with a syringe and clamped it light to snugly I think you'd be ok. If the bow is worth something I dont think I'd shoot it TOO much though!

Default the temptation was too great

I had to string this bow, The delam was noticibly changed. It opened up slightly and raised up 1/32" or a little more. I gave up the original idea of flinging a few arrows and unstung it very carefully. I sure didn't like what I saw, and think this may end up hanging on the wall W/ some eagle feathers and a rawhide string.

If you get the nerve to string it again that would be the optimum time to force epoxy into the voids and cracks when they open. You'll notice glue squirt out when you unstring.

dunno where you're located but if you need a slightly longer string I can easily make one for ya..dunno what your bh is at...just an idear, I'm in north pole, dont need nothing for the string.

Quit screwing around with it your going to get hurt!

I'd be happy to take a look at it as well if your in the valley area.
    BHA Member