Thread: tying lights

Default tying lights

My good bench clamp style light took a crapper.....cant seem to find anything in the fairbanks area, anyone got any good idears. Right now I'm running on a chicken coop heater style lamp, it works, but it's a bit warm .

ps,

here is the light I HAD.....really swet light. Was carried here locally for some reason not anymore...ugg

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...27926-13456-US

Any craft store should have lamps that work well for fly tying. I'm not familiar with stores in Fairbanks, but I'd assume there's a Joann Fabrics, Michaels, or something like that???
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

While you're out shopping, go by an office supply place and pick up one of those little metal "troughs" intended to hold a nameplate on a desk. Then stop by a frame shop and scam some scraps of mat board in a variety of colors.

You'll have to drill a couple of holes in the base of the nameplate holder and screw it down to something to prevent tipping, but it's simple and holds a piece of mat board at just the right angle for a "background" behind your flies. I find a piece about 12" x 12" is plenty big enough so you can place if far back out of the way of hands and tools. Changes in background color (mat board scraps) have a huge influence on how well you can see to tie a particular pattern. Lots of guys spend serious money on exotic lights, when five bucks for the nameplate holder will make almost any light source a "tying light."

BB, sounds like a neat idear, I'll have to try it. I typically use a sheet of paper, clamped down using my vise clamp. (I hate pedistal vises lol). Usually use white, but have plenty of other colors to quicly change too.

I ran all over fairbanks trying to find something for a light. That halogen one really was pretty sweet, so far everything I've found is pretty chinsey at best and very very few clamp on models.

I need a light mainly for fly tying, but also for cresting arrows, and building flintlocks, so a light is a must have.

I picked up an Ott-lite from JoAnn fabrics and it is one of the best lights I have used so far.

Default +1 Otts

Quote Originally Posted by Docins View Post
    I picked up an Ott-lite from JoAnn fabrics and it is one of the best lights I have used so far.
    Agree, they work well. I bought a second one - and the lighting is very good.
    The long bulb fixture extends nicely, a good 12-14" or so out over my vise - looks something like this picture (below). With 2, I get no shadows.
    The easy availability of replacement bulbs (or the whole lamp!) was a plus, but I haven't needed anything so far...3 yrs.

Good luck.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-16-2010 at 23:15.

I'll have to check it out. I'm hoping for a clamp on style, something I can get up and away from my face a little bit yet get close when I need it (gun building). I'm kinda a clutz, ook ok I admit it lol, plus I've always whined a little haha. Seriously I have a fairly limited desk space, not so much when tying, but when cresting arrows or doing this gun building game is the only reason I like the clamp on longer arm'd models, but I'll give this one a go.

Thanks

Default Clamp-on

Here's a clamp on style...prob will depend on what's in stock unless you mail order.
    I like the cool, even light mainly.
    Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-16-2010 at 23:15.

Last summer, a friend gave me one of these and I've been pretty happy with it. I don't use the magnifier all the time, but it's handy to have from time to time. The one thing is that it's definitely big and a bit heavy... you definitely want to have a permanent spot for it. Replacement bulbs are about $7 (I learned after not having it clamped down adequately and it fell and broke ). I think you can get them at a variety of other craft/hobby/home stores besides Cabelas.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Tying light

The wife has a couple of lights she uses for sewing and every now and then I may sneak it into my room for a little work. Called an Omni-light. One is a desk light the other is a stand alone light wth a flexible neck.

Why she likes it (me too) is that it is designed to show true colors.