Thread: Am thinking of building a custom

Default Am thinking of building a custom

6.5x55 on a new FN Model 70 action, but I have not yet had opportunity to handle one. I'm also seperated from all my reference materials for a few weeks, so am sitting here kind of working in the blind...

Question: is the new short action / magazine long enough to accomodate a 6.5x55 loaded with very long bullets (such as Barnes TSX), or am I going to have to bump up to a standard length action?

to do it right need a standard legnth

Just sitting here without my books, I was afraid that would be the answer... My first choice would have been .243 (short action) because the case head/rim size is so close to the 6.5x55.

So, next question is what factory chambering in a standard length action to work from?

In a Winchester? '06

You could do a 260 remington on the short action and have essentially the rifle you want in a superior chambering. Lets see if this gets Ken going

No thanks. I would have to side with Ken on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    You could do a 260 remington on the short action and have essentially the rifle you want in a superior chambering. Lets see if this gets Ken going
    OOOOo...dems fighting words homey

Default +1....

If you're gonna do a Swede, do it on a long action.
    You could also keep an eye out for one of them Winchester Featherweight Classics they made up in 6.5X55. The one I had shot a helluva lot better than the Ruger or Remington Classic factory guns I tried first, AND it seems that the Swede in that gun gets a lot of noses turned up in it's direction. About the most affordable chambering in that model that I've seen for awhile.
    I'm sure that the FN's are wonderful rifles. I just can't get past the trigger-in-a-box they put in the new ones. What was wrong with the old M70 trigger for a sporting gun?
    When the FN rep came through pushing them and the X-Bolt Brownings, he didn't have an answer for me, just looked at his shoe and changed the subject...........