Thread: satalite phone or cell

Default satalite phone or cell

Which is best, well I know the sat. phone is better but is it worth the extra cost and weight over a cell phone. I am talking about emergency bush travel problems. Machanical problems, overflow, injuries ect..
    If you can get to higher elevations will a standard cell phone work for most areas, or is a sat. phone the only way to go.

Thanks for the help
    45north

Default All depends on location

It all just depends on location if a cell phone will work. Most places I ride I have no cell reception. The satellite phone really comes in handy. I have never needed for an emergency,(knock on wood). It sure does give me piece of mind knowing I have it, though! EricL

Default Phone Recommendations

From your description (emergency bush travel problems), I would recommend the Satphone. You can use it anywhere in the state, but the cell phone will only work in limited areas where you have line-of-sight with a cell tower.

With Satphones, you have two choices up here; Motorola Irridium or Globalstar. I recommend the Irridium because it has broader use in most of the state. You'll get better service in Southeast with Globalstar, but if you're north and west of Anchorage, go with Irridium.

Best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

with the cell phone service i get arround anchorage and if you are going to possibly get into a situation that you wouldent be able to walk yourself out of you should most definetly go with the sat phone. Its bigger and more exspensive but it would only take one time and it would pay for itself.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default take both

The sat phone is a given. The cell phone is tiny.

No debate, Irridium Sat Phone. Cell phone coverage in most of Alaska is non existant.

Default Sat Phone Ques

What is a good price for a sat phone and what are the expences that go with it? Is it like a cell where you pay monthly or pay when you use it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

You have several choices. If you use one a lot, then you can buy one and get a "plan" similar to cell phones although in my limited experience it seems you can purchase a number of minutes and use them until they are gone. You can also rent one and then pay for minutes as you use them. I usually rent during a fly out and then pay for theminutes after I get back. Some will include a number of minutes in the rental.