Thread: triodetic frames for cabin foundation

Default triodetic frames for cabin foundation

Has anyone used triodectic frames for building a remote cabin, and if so, what was your experience with the assembling and the soundness of the design? Can anyone recommend a helicopter service in the Fairbanks area for transporting external loads up to 800 pounds or more? Cabin site is 5-6 air miles from a road. Thanks.

atigun,

I can't help you with the foundation, but I do have a decent amount of experience slinging heli loads. At 800 lbs you are looking at a turbine helicopter, probably an MD 500 or Bell 206 with the 500 being preferable IMO. Quicksilver Air in operates a fleet of 500's out of Fairbanks in the summer so that would be the first place I'd check. However, most helicopters in the state are booked months in advance on contracts, so availability might be iffy.

Prism Helicopters, although not based out of Fairbanks, will have crews flying all over the state and might squeeze you in. Era Aviation will probably have both 206's and A-Stars passing through Fairbanks. A-Stars are much more expensive, but you could possibly combine loads and do it in less trips, depending on what you are trying to haul. Not sure who else is going to be around Fairbanks this summer, but those are the big ones.

Either the 500 or the 206 is going to run $1200+/hr (last I checked). Not sure what the rate is this year since I mostly use piston powered R-44's for my work at this point.

Yk

Speaking of helicpoters, is there any Heavy lift machines in state? Like 20k lbs or so?

Thanks Yellowknife. I tried Quicksilver twice over the past 2 weeks but will keep trying to reach them. The info you gave is helpful.

The owner of Quicksilver is recovering from having his helicopter quit on him in ID last week. Might be kind of hard to reach at the moment.

Also from what I understand, they do mostly wildlife work and move operations south in the winter. I tried to get a hold of them for a job in Oct and ended up using Jayhawk Air out of Anchorage.

I'd try Prism. They always have some experienced sling pilots on staff. If you haven't dealt with slinging loads before, you can PM me and I might be able to help. The pilots pretty much just do the flying, so you will need to handle getting everything prepped at one end and doing the unhooking at the other. All good fun and a quick way to move cabin supplies if you can afford it.

Yk