Thread: Duh!

Default Duh!

Very recently I tried to buy a Tapco 20 rd. polymer mag for my SKS from Sportsman's Guide. I was told very firmly that they could not send the magazine to me because I lived in Alaska. WHAT!! I was told it was RESTRICTED. I spoke to the supervisor and got the same B.S.
    Today I called their customer service dept. and THEY told me the same. I wouldn't accept the answer without a REASON and the rep I talked to put me on hold while she talked to SOMEONE ELSE. She came back to tell me there was NO RESTRICTION after all (DUH!!) and did I want to purchase one at this time? I said: "Thanks, but after you denied me service yesterday, I went ahead and bought one from Brownell's and maybe they should let their staff know for next time someone wanted a mag. I probably shouldn't have gotten so bothered, but, it was so dumb, especially since I have bought other mags from them in the past. Always something.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

In all seriousness, AK is the only state that I've come across where there is no STATE limit on the number of rounds you can carry while hunting (the 2+1 for waterfowl is federally mandated).

Buy military mags. they are much better and will last a lot longer. She did you a favor. SG likes to sell cheap junk in my opinion.

Default Actually

The SKS has a fixed 10 round magazine, unlike the AKs. Very few of the metal replacement detachable magazines work well, but by all the reviews I'd read, these Tapcos work very well. Probably won't use it as a detachable mag, using stripper clips to load it, but i like the 20 round capacity.

Zaxon, Not sure if you think I'm going hunting with the SKS, though it would work for deer and caribou, but I'm not. I just like to shoot the gun and who knows someday, it might be just right.

Default mags

North Carolina also has no restrictions for magazine capacity, no restrictions on type of bullet for big game, no mandatory soft point/lead etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Zaxon, Not sure if you think I'm going hunting with the SKS, though it would work for deer and caribou, but I'm not. I just like to shoot the gun and who knows someday, it might be just right.
    I wasn't implying anything, I just felt like mentioning it.

Any chance they are confusing AL or AR with AK?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Why would that matter on an empty mag shipping to Alaska?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    That's a GOOD guess. I'd say probLEE, cause it happens all the time.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Why would that matter on an empty mag shipping to Alaska?
    Just guessing that may be a cause for confusion and those states might have cap restrictions. Don't know. Just a guess.

Default problems

I have been told that a lot of the stuff gets ground shipped and if so it has to go threw Canada and we all know there view on anything that has to do with firearms or there idea of what an assault weapon is. I could be wrong but that my have something to do with it.
    Regards

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Smile guy behind the counter...

Those big box stores often suffer in the knowlege department when it comes to fire arms and accessories. A couple of months ago I had to make the dreaded trip to Anchorage. I was looking at some of the current offerings in the rack at Sportsmen's and a lady was wanting to buy a pistol for her husband for Christmas. The employee was pushing Glocks and said they will never fail, then he looked at her, changed the tone of his voice and said it will shoot under water. That did it. She was impressed and her husband now has a new super pistol that will work any where on earth at any time forever. When I got to my car I stared at my Glock 36 with a new found appreciation.

I had a similar discussion with a gent at the gun counter at SW... Leaving on a trip, and not having time to load up some 223, I asked if they had any heavier factory .223 than the 55 gr FMJ.

He said "why you're not hunting with it are you?"

me: no, it's just that 55 shoots like crap in my 1/7 twist rifle, i'd rather have 77.

SW gun counter guy: "well, it shoots just fine in mine, besides with that twist, you really should go to a lighter bullet"

Me: Huh?

Him: "yeah I have a 1/12 barrel so I can shoot the heavy 55 gr. stuff"

I then realized that I was arguing with an idiot, and I needed to leave before someone got confused as to who was the idiot.

I agree totally. I try to support the little guys around anchorage. Sometimes you might pay more, but the people you deal with and the atmosphere is soooo much better. Plus the people at the stores I frequent know what they are talking about, and advice is always free.