Thread: hot rodding a .338 BAR

Default hot rodding a .338 BAR

I shoot a Browning BAR Safari II in .338WM. Bought in 1991.
    I love this gun/cartridge.
    I have shot it 600-700 times, probably more; reload all my ammo. I shoot 225 gr boat tail, with 76 grains of H4831.
    I am very happy with this firearm, but what can I do to the action to make it more custom and, possibly, more accurate.
    Accuracy has never been a problem, but I am leaning towards a more unique weapon; one that is still identifiable as a BAR, but one that is MY rifle.
    I am leaning towards a muzzle brake (don't need it), but am also considering a longer barrel....maybe a 26 or 27 inch.
    again, I am very happy with the accuracy, but am a diehard hot rodder on all things.
    thx, bill
    Last edited by bilbo; 01-13-2010 at 20:51. Reason: spelinf...g.....n....spellin

My idea is that if it isn't broke don't fix it. Sounds like you have a good rifle so don't mess with it.

well, I must admit I chipped my powerstroke (with no problems whatsoever), I turboed a mid 90s Mustang, I put 4-2 barrel carbs on my 1937 Ford pickup in 1964. I put a bored/stroked 392/462 ci Olds in my 1952 Ford coupe, along with a B&M street/strip hydro back in 1965/66. crazy, I know, but it ate every 'vette I ever ran against.
    It gets in your blood, with no cure whatsoever (maybe death will cure it?)
    If stock was best to everyone, most gunsmiths would be on foodstamps. Handloads are the first step to evil guns, it seems.
    You do have a point, but I am too hard headed to listen, I reckon. I have two of these rifles in .338. I can always have an extra if I ruin the first.
    I appreciate your advice, though. Don't mean any rudeness.....Thanks anyway.

Default Well,

I can appreciate the hot-rodding bit, I used to do my bikes that way, BUT, personally, I would just build up a full custom gun, instead of reworking the BAR. That way you can make it totally your own, which is the point, yes? I mean, this isn't the gun you are changing, but something in yourself, an accomplishment that is all you. If you like semi-autos, I'd get one that could be fully custom, but a bolt action from the ground up would be better. Stan Jackson here in Anchorage is known for building full custom bolts with long barrels and a high degree of accuracy, but it will cost you what the job is worth. His number is 349-3854, cell is 250-0252. Good luck

I also appreciate hopping things up and have nothing against it. Done it to a few things myself. Hopping up your average car is easy. Hot rodding a Ferrari is a little more difficult not to mention expensive. Mauserboy has a very good suggestion. Pick something a little easier to make improvements in. I guess you could rebarrel it to 416 Taylor or 358 Norma if you just have to do something to it. That would get you more get up and go. Come to think of it, a BAR in either of those would be a real bear rifle.

From my old stomping grounds I see, I was born in Prescott and raised in Chino Valley . . . when it was still farm and ranch country.

If it was me I would stop by the Yavapai Collage gunsmithing department and ask and present your question. You are in a hotbed of gunsmithing there around Prescott and itís just a matter of finding one that would fit your project.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default thank you

ADfields.
    I hunted for elk this year with this .338.
    I killed a few in Oregon, but have some cancer issues that have slowed down my hunting.
    I will stop by Yav College. I looked on their enrollment calendar just now and there is a great gunsmith program there.
    Lots of classes up to Master Gunsmith.
    I wish to have this BAR worked as a .338.
    Sorta like the car I inheirited 2 years ago from a late friend.
    It is a 1929 Chevrolet 2 door sedan; been in his family since his grandfather bought it in 1929 in Indiana.
    I appreciate the gesture, but I have no desire to restore a 1929 .
    This was Jack's dream.
    I will attempt to trade it for a 1949-53 Ford or Olds club coupe to restore.
    We each have a unique perspective on our individual dreams and plans.
    BTW: I DO have a project from 15 years ago, yet to be completed. It is an Eddystone action, with a .416 Rigby barrel, yet to be installed.
    The barrel is custom made, with a half octagon tapering to a light flute.
    I want it to look old, but kick *****.
    But, health and moving stopped this project, since I no longer have access to a 2 million dollar machine shop available as I did when i worked in electrical generation.
    If I gave this to someone else, he would likely say:' Why do I want a .416?
    I think I want a .404 Jeffreys".
    we each have a unique dream and set of perspectives.
    Thank you, bill
    Last edited by bilbo; 01-14-2010 at 08:37. Reason: typy....tipo....typo

I saw a BAR 7 mag recently with features that might interest you. The owner called it his BAR tactical. He'd gone to a heavy barrel, bipod and matte finish on wood and metal. At a glance it kinda reminded you of the old WWII BAR, but somehow trimmer and certainly not as heavy. Just a dandy rifle that he uses for long shooting whitetails all over the midwest and Texas. The targets I saw were eye openers. He had so many targets tacked to his wall with 200 yard groups under and inch, it was almost boring.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    I will stop by Yav College. I looked on their enrollment calendar just now and there is a great gunsmith program there.
    Lots of classes up to Master Gunsmith.
    It's one of the best anyplace and the only one I know of that you can get an actual colage degree in gunsmithing, AAS and BAS in gunsmithing. I went there in the 70s but never finished, stupid kid that I was. There are more gunsmiths around Prescott than you can shake a stick at, good gunsmiths, because of that school being there churning them out so long. That school was the major reason Ruger opened their plant there by the Prescott airport.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just have a 458 barrel put on it and you'll be the heavy hitter on the block.

Ok. I think I'm getting what you are after. By "hot rodding" I assumed that you ment more performance. The 338 is what it is and it sounds like your already loading it for all it's worth. How can you customize the action? The only thing I can think of is lapping the lugs and gold enlayed engraving. You could have the action trued and a good after market barrel installed for possibly a little more accuracy. Muzzel brakes are noisey, ugly and not needed on a 338 in a BAR. Longer barrels don't gain a lot of velocity in rounds like the 338. My idea of hot rodding is to pull the engine on that 29 Chevy and drop in a blown 503 Chevy. Not a paint job and crome. You can dress up the 338 all you want but it's still a 338. Nothing wrong with a 338 but you said you want to hot rod this rifle. So within the action length theres only so many engines that will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Ok. My idea of hot rodding is to pull the engine on that 29 Chevy and drop in a blown 503 Chevy.

So within the action length theres only so many engines that will fit.
    I dunno. My brother just dropped a 350 into a Chevy Luv truck. Took a week of firewall and engine mount work, fan cowling to redirect airflow and help cool the headers, a custom radiator and a complete rebuild of the electrical system, but he gotter done. Holly carb, air scoop, removable hardtop for the cab, roll bar, custom stepside bed, vintage American Racing mags, and yeah. It's HOTRODDED!

Having nothing to do with guns, I've attached a peak under the hood midway through the fit. Oh, I guess it has something to do with guns. Gun it, and there's more white smoke than I've ever made with a muzzleloader!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I reckon I am really interested in ACCURIZING this BAR.
    Any such thing this going on with a BAR?
    Of course, this may include reduced loads,LOL.
    I'm just testing the waters of what can be done.
    As I said in original post, it shoots nice like it is, but hoping for a real tack driver.
    Pretty much like Brownbear describes @ 8:22.
    Of course, accuracy is limited by the shooter, also. I ain't gonna be doing much with this gun if I don't kick this kidney cancer I have.
    Life is about dreams; even when you're down a bit you need to have some plans!