Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Winchester Model 70

Default New Winchester Model 70

Has anyone seen, handled, shot any of the new Model 70's out of the South Carolina plant yet? I'm curious about the quality of the new ones.

I own a M70 7-08 Fwt and like it a lot. Was talk of deer camp this year.

Default The SC Win 70s are good rifles

I have a little experience with a decent number of Winchester Model 70s in both pre and post 64s and have bought three of the South Cakolaki ones: 2008 Featherweight 270 Win and 30-06 Spr, and a 2009 Extreme Weather 325 WSM. All shoot and handle very acceptable right out of the box and have proven to be reliable and fairly accurate. I like them quite a bit, although there are some aspects (such as the excess weight) that I believe could be improved upon. For the price, IMO they represent a decent bargain and I don't think you can go wrong purchasing one. Hey you get 74 years of history with the Rifleman's rifle and I think these are a tribute to the legacy. Then again, I realize that my three new Model 70s is but a limited sample, I think still it is fairly representative of what one can expect with this rifle. YMMV.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default Thanks for the replies

So, reading between the lines, it sounds like the quality of workmanship/overall quality is at least comparable to what was coming off the New Haven line (?).

Default In comparison

IMO the SC Model 70s are much superior especially compared to the later production New Haven models.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Handled a few FN M70's now(SG & FW's). IMO they're very good rifles for the money, but, I would like to see the old trigger instead of a X-Bolt one, more consistent 'figure' stocks. Actually, when one compares these with the Kimbers, especially the Montana's. The Kimbers are a cut above!

Thanks for posting this - I have been wondering the same things - They sure look nice in the pictures. Looking for a rifle for my daughter and this one had my interest.

Default Forgings or castings

Anyone know if the new 70 receivers are produced from forgings like the old ones or if they have went to cheaper castings to cut costs?

Hard to completely define or qualify but the forged receiver and bolts with broached lug ways etc. just seem to feel and work better to some of us- perhaps a touch of class like the feel of door closing on a Mercedes or closing the cylinder on an older S&W.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default They are forged.

It is on the Winchester website. I can't get there from school. It is my prep period right now, and I need to think of guns as a break from this liberalism.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default It's not easy to find

but there is a reference to the receivers being CNC cut from a solid block of forged steel. Of course they don't give up any details.

The best quality US made bolt rifle out there right now. Period.

The receivers are CNC's from forged steel. AT least that is what the rep claimed. I shot several and was impressed, espcially when comparing them to my older M70's. I think the new trigger is okay and works fine, although I still don't see why they changed it. I'm guessing it was due to all the other companies coming out with new trigger systems and they felt the urge to "keep up."

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I love the look of the featherweight with the schnable forend, Very classy, but you can't get 6.5 x 55 anymore and I want that for the boy . or maybe me?

Default 6.5x55

is my preference as well. Have not been able to locate one, so am going to have to build another custom gun. Woe is me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

I fully agree, you can not go wrong with anything made by FN. Myself and my fellow soldiers place our lives on the line every day and use FN products to keep us safe so that has to say something about them.

I find these post entertaining with all the people asking about the quality of the new Mod 70's. FN went in and completely redid all the tooling etc to modern specs why wouldn't they be good rifles? I agree not sure why they changed the triggers but they did and the new ones do work well.

I have not shot one of the new ones but I have handled a number of them and thought they were great rifles, well built, smooth, good fitting of everything, and nice looking rifles.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

I bought one when they came out. Rifle likes about anything you feed it. Would prefer one of the old triggers properly set-up but oh well. The new ones are also propperly bedded with something like steelbed, and free floated. My only real gripe about the new ones, is the cheesy bottom metal. It just feels flimsy. Beside that, about the best out of the box rifle going.

If I'm not mistaken they are also using Williams one piece floor plates and Williams extractors, much better than the old MIM parts on the previous models.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Williams made/is making the floorplate part of the one piece unit. The cheesy trigger guard and body is not williams and feels pretty darn flimsy. The extractors are Williams also.

Yeah, I had to wait 6 months to get parts from Williams for testing with a project gun I was building. The reason was they were supplying FN with the floorplates and trigge guards for the new Model 70. When I finally got my parts, I was supper impressed. Williams stuff is about as good as it gets, quality wise.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post

^ this one post alone should speak mounds of truthful insight. this gentleman (wildalaska) has expensive taste and is in love with some of the most overpriced scopes and guns out there. he is also a heckler of undeniable construction and reliability. I try not to speak on behalf of others but this is merely an observation of his prior posts and my interpretation of his shared information. WHEN WILDALASKA MAKES A STATEMENT LIKE THE ABOVE MENTIONED, THERE IS SOME CONCRETE EVIDENCE OF HIS OBSERVATIONS.......... PERIOD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast