Thread: 03' Skandic belt question Help!

Angry 03' Skandic belt question Help!

Hey Guys,
    I've got a 03 600 skandic skidoo and it was running really funny last weekend, well come to find out the belt was fried. I have tried the last 2 nights to change the belt out and cant seem to do it. I have taken the air box off for more access, but still no luck. Any one got any tips on getting a belt on one of these machines?? Oh yea and there is no threaded tool that you screw in that makes it easier. At this point I'm ready to light it on fire and roast marshmellows

trout--

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Most machines, open up the driven clutch get the belt down in there and should loosin enough to slip over the top of the primery. Get mad enough, sharp knife to the belt, and it come right off, than the chore of putting new one on.

I havn't worked on sleds that much but I imagine you could roll the belt off and roll a new one on. I've done this with atv's. I'll also tried spreading the secondary with a crowbar and made a mesh of the secondary surface.

Get the track off the ground, start turning the pulleys and work the belt over the secondary. Once it's over the edge keep turning till it's off. To get the new belt on put the belt in the primary and start rolling it over the secondary.

It always takes me about 3.5 hours to change a belt. Of course the first 2 are cleaning the garage and moving wheelers outside, the next 45 min is letting the rig warm up inside then about 15 minutes of swearing and bouncing tools off the garage floor trying to avoid the snow melt puddle. Then 15 minutes of swearing trying to find the darn manual. 5 getting the wife to come out and show me where the manual is, 5 more to read it then 5 to change the darn thing. Good lord if I added beer into the mix it would turn into a weekend project....

Default Finally

Marshmellow roast called off...I got it figured out. Had to roll and open up the clutch and then put the belt on. Good news for the machine and my voice

Trout--

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Talking glad u got it ..

i was just about to break out in the dog u mode...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Gald to hear you got it. No crow bar!!When opening the scondary they twist away from each other, they dont go straight back. With the pry bar you were holding in place. easy way is to have somebody hold or lock the brake, grap inside shim, push in and rotate at the same time, as it opens the belt will go down futher in the shims,that will provide the slack to bring off the primery clutch.reverse order to install

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    this is something ya ALL should know how to do in minutes when out in the field...

the only ones that take more then about 3-5 min were the MXZ with the tool.. and the candians thought it woud be funny is the only reason it was on there...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Cool

Oh i like that ! Looks easier than what i been doing all these yr,s. Ha, Now who going to help me pick my SWT off the ground

I dunno, I think carrying the small tool around is easier than carrying a big blue jack!

On my wife's 05 Expedition Sport there is a little tool kit in the holder right near the clutches. I bet I can get that tool out and spread the secondary sheaves apart faster than you can figure out how to get the track off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Oh i like that ! Looks easier than what i been doing all these yr,s. Ha, Now who going to help me pick my SWT off the ground

Weak secondary clutch......I have never been able to peel one off like that and you will ruin the belt and possibly bend something trying to force a belt back on like in video. Then again I would like to see the monkey that will lift and hold my sled while I dink around to get that belt going.

Video was pretty edited to shorten it to less then 5 minutes.

The only sled I know that you can do a belt change in under 5 minutes is the new Arctic Cat Diamond Drive using the Black Diamond clutch tool. Then again you have to buy the right helix and end cap to be able to do it under the 5 minute mark.

On the Scandic don't yo have to remove the air box and then work around the transmission???

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default belt change on scandic's with tranny

No need to lift the rear of a scandic with a transmission because you can put it in neutral.

Put on a good pair of leather gloves and just get physical with that belt. Pull on the old belt while pushing/twisting on the driven clutch until you can get one edge of the belt over the pulley edge and then just walk it off by spinning the clutch by hand. Do the reverse for installation making sure that you keep the lettering on the belt faced toward you, so you can read it. It should take about 5 minutes