Thread: Unit 2 black bear questions

Default Unit 2 black bear questions

Greetings all, new to the forum and hoped some locals could help explain the regs a little. My wife and I are planning a bear hunt on POW Island in September. We hunted there once about 10 years ago and had a blast. Reading over the regs I see a new rule about motorized vehicles and bear hunting. The way the regs read it sounds like you can't even use a vehicle to get to and from hunting grounds... is this true? Is it now illegal to spot bears in a clear cut from your vehicle and then stalk them? I will be staying with a friend on the south end of the island and last hunt we would travel up north to hunt, the regs make this sound illegal...If anyone out there could help me interpret this rule properly it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
    mtlion

Hunted there quite a bit, but not since the new reg. chang..I would call the local wardens there. 755-2291

Thats correct from 9-1 through 9-30

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Thats correct from 9-1 through 9-30

So...how is one to drive to their hunting area?

Well basically they have put this into affect to stop and control the stream hunting I think to slow the taking of sow bears from the population which was a large portion of the fall kill. The only way to hunt really in the fall now the way I've read it is by boat gaining access to a hunting area or straight on foot out of the place you stay. I think it really needed regulated because the hunting was suffering badly there TO MUCH PRESSURE! I would personnally like to see a little more regulation maybe sometype of draw to limit the take somehow on the Island to bring back the old days I've heard about so much. And to answer your question MTLION you don't drive any longer during the period mentioned to hunt bear you can't. The total reg is on ADGIF website it is pretty clear take a look at it before you plan on going it could greatly effect your hunt.

Hunters where taking to many sows in the fall . Any time you get a fifty fifty ratio sows to boars F&G will start looking real close and in the fall hunts this was the case. I had a conversation with a official just before this law was implemented and was told they had found a very high number of dead bears along the road systems. Seems some hunters shot bears that where small and decided not to tag them . So several reasons for the new law and it goes to show takes a few to ruin it for all. I also believe they need to look at numbers on POW . When I started hunting the Island take was about 200 bears now is up to almost 500 a year.
    James Phillips

Default Bear Hunting Unit 2 in September

My public education efforts must be taking hold. You guys are starting to get it. Mtlion-It is now illegal to use a land based motorized vehicle to bear hunt POW during September. Babyblue and bear guide pretty much nailed it. The most common way to hunt bears in the fall was to access salmon streams with vehicles. But with a declining bear population, male/female harvest ratios skewed, high wounding loss, declining skull size and age, something needed to be done to curtail the fall harvest. So sorry, but you can't drive to the hunting grounds in September anymore. You can still access areas via boat. Call the ADFG office in Craig if you'd like to discuss further. 907.826.2561

Its in Unit 3 too