Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change of plans...

Default change of plans...

Due to an upcoming addition to my family due in September, the sheep hunt I was planning doesn't look like it's going to happen. So I'm trying to make some alternate hunting plans for Oct-Nov timeframe. My preferences would be brown/grizzly bear and/or goat. Fly-in or boat-in is what I'm looking at, and roughly a week in length. My initial thought was a Peninsula brown bear hunt, but I had also considered goat on Kodiak, the Southeast, or the Wrangells. I'm just looking for a little advice to try to steer my decision. Not looking for any secret spots or handouts--just some "hey, I did this hunt last year and had a blast" type of advice. Also, when would be the best times for any particular hunt? I.E. Peninsula bear season is 1 -21 Oct. Are there particular dates in there that are better than others? Thanks everyone.

several of the Kodiak goat hunts have gone registration one of em even has good deer hunting to boot that time of year! That is what I would be doing if I was in your boat. Lucky for me I own a callendar and a basic understanding of human gestation, thus my kids are all born between Jan-May, specifically to avoid this situation!!
    Unfortunately my friends (and brothers of friends, Kyle) don't seem to adhere to my strict winter celebacy ritual, frequently leaving those of us who do partnerless...

Congrats on the new addition btw!

Hey Matt,

First off congrats on the baby. Sorry you will miss sheep, but family comes first. The wife and I did a Goat/Deer hunt on Kodiak this past Nov. We had chances at goats and saw several deer. It would be based out of kodiak, we would stay at a lodge and be transported to the hunt area each day. Great people and an awesome hunt. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I would love to go back this Nov, if I can find a partner that wants to go. The wife will be deployed, so I'm on my own this coming season.
    Here is a link to that hunt.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=67165

Steve

LuJon is dead on with his comments.

It seems to me that this type of thing should be taken into consideration during the hunt planning stage.

My wife recently called me the shallowest person she knows while we were trying for our third child.

We "tried" in Nov, I mysteriously Quit "trying" in Dec, and finally finished the job in Jan for an Oct birth.

When questioned about my tactics, I replied " honey Dec= a Sept birth and you know where I'll be in Sep" Thats when I got called the shallowest person alive. It hurt a little but I'm over it. I had a great moose season.

Good luck

Haha, if I tried that with my wife, I'd never have to worry about it ever again, one way or another

When we were trying, it was my wife that was concerned about hunting season. Well, it crossed my mind, of course, but it was she that brought it up. After years of eating wild game, I don't think she can bear the thought of having to buy meat from the store. Sometimes her healthy eating stuff can be a pain, but if it means that hunting is a priority, I suppose I'll count myself as lucky. It did make trying for a kid stressful, but it all worked out with a May birth.

c04hoosier - I'm assuming you know that you'll need a guide for brown bear, sheep, and goat, right? (Unless, of course, you're in Arkansas with the military and are actually a resident of AK.) The option that Steve suggested seems like a great one to me, but you'd have to figure out the guide thing if not a resident. Based on your dates I would be looking hard at the south end of Kodiak for a deer/goat combo, but that's personal preference.

Brian,
    Matt is a resident that just moved last year, he is active duty military. He has maintained his residency and hunted sheep with another forum member last season. He is good to go for both goat and bear as far as I know.

Steve

Got it. Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

Default yep, still a resident

Uncle Sam can take me out of Alaska, but can't take Alaska out of me...

Red face

I hear ya. I was sweatin recently when I also found out about an addition until the doctor confirmed Independence day was the time. Thankfully sheep season was left intact for the long run, but needless to say my plans for hunting next fall have changed. I might be able to do some weekends but Im not holding my breath. I would recommend Fall deer in Kodiak in October as a kick in the pants and well as the most productive option. Of course now I am certain to get a TMA permit.......
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

An AK penn. brown bear hunt would be fun, I think. Been wanting to do that myself. Or a goat/deer combo on Kodiak would be fun as well.

One good thing about having kids born during hunting season is you can give them a cool birthday present by taking them hunting. I have two boys now born on Aug 9th and 25th, when they get old enough, I will be taking them on some special hunts for their birthday, if they are into that sorta thing, my oldest already is thank goodness.

Talking Keep the sheep hunt

Here is what you do.

Talk to the doctor get it all set up and then have her induced prior to sheep season kicking off. You can sell it as a controlled birth, in that you know exactly when, where and studies say that the induced birth is a lot easier on the mother. The stress of labor is significantly reduced. Ok, I don't know if that is true but your welcome to use it. good luck.

My brother-in-law did this with his first and still made his elk hunt in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Due to an upcoming addition to my family .
    Ahhhh, no more worries for me....

I feel ya Aug 20, Sept 10, Oct 21.....

Default absolutley

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    One good thing about having kids born during hunting season is you can give them a cool birthday present by taking them hunting. I have two boys now born on Aug 9th and 25th, when they get old enough, I will be taking them on some special hunts for their birthday, if they are into that sorta thing, my oldest already is thank goodness.
    my #2 daughter spent her 16th birthday in hunters ed class and a few days later we were in a super cub over the brooks for a caribou hunt for her "sweet" 16 bday present... 3 of my 4 daughters are born in aug and early sept only my fourth came in november...

youda thunk I would have learned...

Greg

Default You might be a redneck if....

You plan the birth of your children so as not to interfere with hunting season! Jeff Foxworthy would be so proud!

Congrats on the new addition Matt! (Good name, by the way) There's always something to hunt, and there's always next year for sheep. When this new little one gets old enough, take him or her out on a sheep hunt, and if they complain, tell them it's because they made you miss it the year they were born!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    my #2 daughter spent her 16th birthday in hunters ed class and a few days later we were in a super cub over the brooks for a caribou hunt for her "sweet" 16 bday present... 3 of my 4 daughters are born in aug and early sept only my fourth came in november...

youda thunk I would have learned...

Greg
    Anyone else seeing a trend here. Seems like allot of WINTER baby making. When it is cold and dark, you have to stay warm some how... LOL

Default Go Sheep hunting

Lujon
    Just out of curiosity how many months is the human gestation period? Just want to make sure so I dont screw up any hunts.

Matt if it is your first child, chances are the kid will be late. I was stationed in California with my first kid due Sept 25th. Lucky for me I won a five day (Sept 20-25) Cast and Blast on the Kasilof from the San Diego DU. I went on the trip and had a great time. When the wife drove me to the airport just before I got out of the car I gave her a dime and told her to hold it between her knees until I got home. My oldest daughter arrived 3 Nov.

Have a good Sheep hunt.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

39-40 weeks from the day she says "I'm late". But for the first one it is about 5 minutes from the time it sets in that you are going to be a dad!

As to the first one coming late, our first came at 36 weeks, the second at 37, and the last at a scary 32 weeks! That is perhaps why I cast a broader net on the celebacy period, choosing to be very busy and stressed (or out of town) from Dec-Feb... The good new for me was after the NICU stay w/ #3 the wife went and got knotted up. She jokingly told me she didn't want a "steer" around the house w/ no motivation beyond eating so my years of "hibernation" are behind me.

off topic*** one of these days I am going to have to top off the tanks on that flying contraption of yours and get you to take me up! I got a few areas I want to hike into that would be fun to look around on a nice day. Of course the downfall is that I may actually convince myself to try one of them and as I found out on Kodiak "everything looks easy from the air"!!!

LuJon
    Is you wife from the southern hemisphere? Sometimes this girls from down under get their times all upside down and such!
    Say the word and we will head out to take a look at your hiking areas.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast