Thread: Lever gun scope

Default Lever gun scope

Hi all

I used to be just fine with a ghost ring setup on my marlin 45-70. but now that the eyes are getting a little older I can see a need for a close range scope. What do you guys think of something like this?

http://www.truglo.com/content/prod_s...dual_color.asp

Woody

Thumbs up Leupold Scope

A leupold Compact 2.5 or a 1.5x5.
    Alaska

Default 45-70 sights

Like many, getting a 'little' older sucks. I was having issues getting three different images to line up. Rather then go with a compact scope or a red dot system that uses batteries I chose to go with the following system. Trijicon Reflex II with a 12 minute triangle. It is light weight, easy to use and does not need batteries. The down size is that there is NO maginfication. With this set up I have taken two Bison, one moose and use it as a camp gun/back up in the brush. I do have other weapons that do have red dot sights on them and they all work good, so I would not be afraid to get a good quality system.
    Good hunting

Default sights

HI

I would like to get away from the parallax Problem with the scout scopes and also have something that is fast that can be used with both eyes open.

I am very familiar with the red dot and holo type sight for years of IPSC when I lived down in the states. the only problem that I come up with from most of them is the "red" dot. My son who also uses the gun is color blind and can't see the "red" This is what lead me to the Truglo you can switch to Green. I also like the 2X mag. it may help a little with my eyes. I think the Trijicon type would be enough of a help with my eyes if you could switch it to a color my son could see. I relay like the no batterys!!!

Woody

I've thought about these type of sights also, but decided on a scout scope. My question for those that have used them, how do they hold up to recoil? How many rounds have you put through them? To me, and I'm probably wrong, but they look like a 45/70 would kill them after a certain time. ANy insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Joel

Default recoil

Joel

I have the same concerns.. The way I looked at it is they do hold up well rideing on the slide of a 1911 and that has to be some rough recoil as the slide slams back and forth.

Woody

Woody, you are correct on the recoil of some handguns. Like you stated you shot competition. Now throw in the cold, rain, maybe bumped up against a tree, etc (hunting conditions)? I'm sure some of the top lines of red dots or holo's should hold up just fine.

Thinking about it, we spend some good money on glass, spending the same amount on a good dot system isnt out of the question.

If I didnt already have the scout scope, I probably woulda spent the money on a good dot system (not the BSA's, etc).

Still would be interesting to hear from folks who have actually used these in hunting conditions.

Joel

Default .

I have done some more research. Here is the one that I have came up with http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...046&hasJS=true

they are plenty tough to be put in a hunting situation. they have a small dot with a larger circle around the dot. my son can find that "red" dot. I have talked to a few people who are using them on lever guns and love them. I will be putting one on my guide gun real soon and I will let everyone know how it works out.

Woody

Thumbs up Set Up

I don't have my Marlin GG set up as scout. I have the Warne Steel bases with Warne QR Rings that keep zero after removal and reinstalled. I have the factory rear sight but replaced the front with Williams orange Fire Sight with a Cut Out hood.......very good sights in dark conditions for bear. My scope is a Leupold 1.5x5 matte. My Marlin has been parkerized by WWG and a WWG Happy Trigger and Bear Proof ejector installed. I handload for it using Hardcast 350 FPGC @ 2000 FPS with Reloader 7........super good 150 yard gun for mooose and bear.
    Alaska