Thread: GPS question

Default GPS question

I am looking for a good handheld GPS with some good mapping functions. I was impressed with a friends Garmin map76cs and I know Magellan has a similar unit out there (I don't remember the model).

I don't want a unit with a small display like the etrex and such. The Garmin 76 series have a large display and I'd like to go with something similar.

Anyone have any recommendations for units in the $300-$500 range which compare to the 76cs and will have good marine capabilites?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up 76csx

I have a Garmin 76CS and I love it. Garmin only had the 76CS for a very short period of time and then they came out with the 76CSX which has a removable chip. I also bought some Garmin software. I own Garmin Map Source. It is OK to see where you've been on your computer or to lay out a planned map but I don't really like it on the GPS as it has all of the topo lines on the screen and it is too busy to suit me. I also have Blue Chart with Prince William Sound and Cook Inlet installed. That is really nice if you are running the unit on a boat. It sells for around $100.

Have you looked at the Rino 520 or 530? Sweeeet!

Default gps Garmin Map 60

The Map 60 series are awesome!!!!! and if you hurry they are offering a $50 rebate.

Default Second the 60 series

I have a 60CS and its been awesome! The features are perfect for hunting and for alaska. Even has a built in hunt and fishing times calendar by location! Along with an altimiter and compas that do not rely on satellite contact.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Rino's are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Have you looked at the Rino 520 or 530? Sweeeet!
    Have loads of extra features,voice and text commactions.have had apair for awhile and love em!

I used the rhino while I was in Iraq. Great GPS. And the other features a good to
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Now what....

Ok, I just got my Garmin 76CSx today and it looks great! The basic map that it comes with is just that....VERY basic. I want to use the thing for everything from hunting, fishing (ocean), and snowmachining. What software would best suit me? I hear a lot about Mapsource and Bluechart, are these the best to go with or is there something better?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The 2 you mentioned is what everyone I know uses. I don't think there are many options but you won't go wrong with those.

Default Maps

I really like the blue chart if you are going on salt water with your new unit. The Mapsource terrain software takes a lot of memory in your gps and you will need to load the particular area you are going to and then load the next area you go to if you are going to very different areas. I personally don't like the topographical software too much.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Ok, I just got my Garmin 76CSx today and it looks great! The basic map that it comes with is just that....VERY basic. I want to use the thing for everything from hunting, fishing (ocean), and snowmachining. What software would best suit me? I hear a lot about Mapsource and Bluechart, are these the best to go with or is there something better?
    Those are the two that are compatible with your Garmin. I have the 76cs with mapsource and it is flawless and easy to learn and use. Enjoy mud!

P.S. Do we have a new family member yet? And when are we hitting the range?
    Curt

Default blue chart & topo maps

AkMud,
    Did you try one of these yet ? I just received my 76csx last night & am sure I will eventually purchase them. I see they have bluechart 2 out now but its almost twice the price as the original.
    Then there is the preloaded chips vs the cds ... however, I think the cds would be nice to have that way you can preprogram the pointns on the computer for trips easier.
    Any good tips learing its functions yet?
    Let the learning begin

Default Garmin eTrex Legend

I'm new here but I'd like to day that you could buy a Garmin e-Trex Legend for about $159 or less now. I have had one for over 5 years and paid $250 then. It meets all of your requirements and is ultra reliable and pocket sized. I have never been disappointed with mine. Good long battery life.

Thumbs up

Sorry for the late response, I've been out of state for the last week....

AKDSLDOG...Yep, little boy arrived Nov. 25th. Lot's of fun having another new one around. Name it for the range, I'd like to do some shooting myself.

AKMarmot, I've been totally impressed with the 76CSx! I've used it on a couple of snowmachine trips and it works great. I tuck it in an inside pocket of my jacket to keep it warm and it keeps a track the entire day! My buddy has a similar magellan and it is hit and miss for holding a track while inside his jacket. We were inside a building in Willow last weekend and fired them both up at the same time. The Garmin got a lock nearly instantly and eventually received 11 of 12 satellites at nearly full signal. His Magellan got 3 weak locks at the best.

I ended up buying Mapsource for $80 at Amazon.com (free shipping too). I want to get the bluechart, but $$ is the issue now. The wife isn't too impressed that I will have as much money into software as in the unit itself.... Might be a good fathers day gift though....

Let me know if you figure out any tricks. So far it seems pretty straight forward and is really quite easy to use.
    AKmud

AK Mud, I have the 76map S model, I use mapsource and bluechart. I like both programs. Once you figure out how to download specific maps to the gps, it's easy. I agree with the guy who posted he does'nt care for the topo maps, I have seen better as well.