Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to SCI in Reno?

Default Going to SCI in Reno?

Is anyone else headed to Reno for the SCI convention? I'm headed out on a red eye Friday the 22nd and back on Sunday the 24th.

Brett

Is that a show on TV? Like a Startrekky convention, but everyone looks like a plain clothes cop?

Tell us about it.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Maybe it's that band from Colorado...

String Cheese Incident???

Default Jealous

Thats on the "to-do" list one of these years. Have good time and give Mr. Shockey and hand shake for me. If ya see Uncle Ted give him a big ol' "Blood Brother" hug and tell him I loved his Yukon Moose hunting show last night with the charge.

Default SCI

Is that the same SCI that had Ken Behring as president?

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/17/us...ithsonian.html

and apparently had members and officials who helped facilitate bringing illegal endangered species trophies into the US?

http://www.endangeredspecieshandbook...legalities.php

Apparently from reading these articles, some in SCI subscribe to the credo that if you have enough money, you can get around any law.

Yah, that's the kind of hunting organization I want to support. Not.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default sci

If your going to base your opinion on a hunting group on reporting from the NY times , and the animal welfare group I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale.
    Alex

Default deny?

You deny these incidents happened? I can show you other sources.

How's this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/...ain39860.shtml

Or will only something from FOX news satisfy you?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Support

It doesn't look like they need your support.

Whats the whole story.......so what the guys got bucks and is contributing to the Smithsonian.

Teddy Rosevelt did the same thing with a bunch of African game......Rhinos included.

American Royalty......deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Is that the same SCI that had Ken Behring as president?

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/03/17/us...ithsonian.html

and apparently had members and officials who helped facilitate bringing illegal endangered species trophies into the US?

http://www.endangeredspecieshandbook...legalities.php

Apparently from reading these articles, some in SCI subscribe to the credo that if you have enough money, you can get around any law.

I'm not sure who you are, so I can't adress you by name, but never the less:

SCI was started as a trophy hunters group. It WAS a group of rich men and women that toured the world hunting and comparing who had the biggest and best with inner circles, and self purchased trophies, plaques, and awards. Over the years it has evolved. Today it is something quite different. Although SCI is predominantly known by nonmembers for the scoring/record system and its convention it is much more. SCI is the largest hunter/hunting focused lobbying group in the country and probably the world. They spend millions of dollars anually to protect our rights as hunters in state and federal elections and referendums. They also participate in national and international conservation and humanitarian issues. SCI's nonprofit SCIF is a highly rated and respected charity organization that helps many.

Although members join for a variety of reasons most do so for reasons other than the trophy system, plaques, or awards. Although I'm a member I've never had an animal scored and I doubt I ever will. Why? I just don't care and niether do most other SCI members. I appreciate their role in conservation, humanitarian issues, and their voice on capital hill. I don't pretend to excuse the behavior of the few. Some people are idiots and that's how it is. I would no sooner apologize for these idiots than I would condemn the whole group on the behavior of the few. So if you choose not to support SCI that's your problem. As my favorite American TR said: (sumation) "any man who doesn't support his profession or hobbies isn't worth anything". So support something and maybe you do! SCI, DSC, HSC, OVIS, FAWNS, DU, RMEF, NRA, ect, ect, ect! Take your picK. I support the American Chiropractic Association, the Alaska Chiropractic Society, the National Eagle Scouts Association, the National Rifle Association, Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club International, the Lion's Club, Boy Scouts of America, ect, ect. What do you support? Just your self? Are you a taker or do you give back?

Brett Barringer

330-429-2762 cell

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Thats on the "to-do" list one of these years. Have good time and give Mr. Shockey and hand shake for me. If ya see Uncle Ted give him a big ol' "Blood Brother" hug and tell him I loved his Yukon Moose hunting show last night with the charge.
    Will do Bidhorse!

Brett

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

Well fortunately for us, they support OUR right to hunt.

We are guaranteed the right to a free press, says nothing about having to be fair or accurate. A quick check of those links shows one is to the animal welfare institute, the other two being from CBS and NBC and apparently the information source for them was the humane society...........so it must be true.

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes being "one of the MOST endangered species"?

As for SCI, I am a supporting member and although I can't make it to the Reno convention, I will most certainly be at the Anchorage one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    Is anyone else headed to Reno for the SCI convention? I'm headed out on a red eye Friday the 22nd and back on Sunday the 24th.

Brett
    Please post pics of the surgically enhanced trophy wives at your earliest convenience.

Default SCI

As a hunter I would like to beleive that a group such as SCI is doing our sport some good. I do beleive the money that is flowing around in that org is protecting some hunting rights. The problem I have with them is you can enter trophies that were takin on high fence ranches were you pay ahead for a paticular animal. I just cant activly support an org that allows what i consider canned hunting. With that said some good has to cme out of an Org thats dishing out that much money. Just my opinion. Hillbilly

"As for SCI, I am a supporting member and although I can't make it to the Reno convention, I will most certainly be at the Anchorage one."

I'll be at the Anchorage one as well. See you there.

FYI to all: I asked if anyone was attending not to solicit oppinions from the peanut gallery, but to see if anyone wanted to get together if they were there for the same days as me. www.accuratereloading.com members are having a get together at the Giraffe bar at 3:30 on Friday, so I was going to invite anyone interested to attend. Thanks.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    As a hunter I would like to beleive that a group such as SCI is doing our sport some good. I do beleive the money that is flowing around in that org is protecting some hunting rights. The problem I have with them is you can enter trophies that were takin on high fence ranches were you pay ahead for a paticular animal. I just cant activly support an org that allows what i consider canned hunting. With that said some good has to cme out of an Org thats dishing out that much money. Just my opinion. Hillbilly
    ....and I agree. I don't like canned hunting as well and SCI doesn't exactly condemn canned hunting. That said I really don't care as the biggest function of the record book is to act as a fund raiser for SCI. So whoever wants to pat themselves on the back is fine with me because they're paying for everyones conservation and lobbying! Besides making the book in SCI isn't exactly difficult! Rowland Ward is a much better "trophy book" for African animals as is Boone & Crocket for NA game.

Brett

I don't honestly care if they high fence hunt, pretty much just like farming/ranching only they instead of a bolt to the brain they get a bullet. To each their own, I don't do the high fence thing and if I purchased an elk from one I would just as soon they pop it and let me pick it up like any other butcher shop. As far as entry into a "book" that doesn't much matter to me either. I look at their book like a 4H show, if I want "wild" trophies I will pick up a copy of the B&C book.
    I agree w/ Brett and others here, it is hard to be exclusionist when the sport as a whole is being attacked by special interests. There are lots of places where they don't have public lands and at least they are getting out there and "hunting".

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    "As for SCI, I am a supporting member and although I can't make it to the Reno convention, I will most certainly be at the Anchorage one."
    I could give a rat's arse about SCI, but am a member on accuratereloading, mainly for the gun content. Brett, you should know that this forum will give quite a different response to SCI than AR will. No surprises there.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't honestly care if they high fence hunt, pretty much just like farming/ranching only they instead of a bolt to the brain they get a bullet. To each their own, I don't do the high fence thing and if I purchased an elk from one I would just as soon they pop it and let me pick it up like any other butcher shop. As far as entry into a "book" that doesn't much matter to me either. I look at their book like a 4H show, if I want "wild" trophies I will pick up a copy of the B&C book.
    Speak it brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Please post pics of the surgically enhanced trophy wives at your earliest convenience.
    Will do! I've been told the "sights" at the show are AMAZING!!! On a sadder note a person I spoke with that just attended DSC stated that the inclement cold weather adversely affected fur coat clad surgically enhanced trophy wife attendance! It also aparhently caused a pipe to to break in the cieling on Saturday afternoon causing a shower on art, guns, and fur coats of untold worth!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post

True, SCI does allow them to be entered on a seperate category than wild animals. Ranch hunts are what they are. I'm not interested in ever doing a ranch hunt, but I do eat beef, pork and chicken and wear leather. All of which came from a ranch. So therefore it would be hipocritical of me to condemn the ranch hunts and the people that do them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast