Thread: rmk bogs down in deep snow

Default rmk bogs down in deep snow

I was at turnagain yesterday and everytime I would get snow over the cowling the engine would run out of power and act like it was gonna die.

I have 2 theorys as to why this happens. One snow gets on the exhaust pipe. and 2 the snow blocks the air intake into the engine.

My sled does a good job of plowing through the snow as long as the engine has its power.

Sled is a 2000 rmk 800. Running 400 and 380 jets. But its not a jet problem. Sled only acts up when snow is on cowling

99% chance the culprit is the snow hitting the pipe and cooling it down. About the only fix is to put the snow shields in the cowling to block the openings near the pipe or wrap the pipe with insulation. The air intake should be fairly well protected behind the windshield and usually won't plug up that fast.

My bro-in-law's Ultra was terrible for the same problem. He finally wrapped the pipes with some high temp insulation and it was a different machine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If snow gets on your intake sceens you instantly have a rich condition. If the cowl heat melts a little snow and saturates your screens, snow really sticks and bogs you down. Pull the intake sreens often and shake them out. Some isopropyl will help dry them, but shake the excess out. (You can buy aftermarket fine mesh "pre screens"). If you don't keep the screens dry you're allowing some water to trickle into the carbs. You'll have a sad next morning if the sled stays out all night. Kill it by pulling the choke and leave the choke on to prevent it from freezing. Cycle the choke lever a couple of times at shutdown to get any moisture out.

The other culprit is that the exhaust outlet gets obstructed by snow, and I mean the snow you're riding in. This is a particular nuisance when you're moving slow. Make sure you have a deflector in front of the outlet.

Default eating snow

All the above a correct and in addition watch out for eating snow. By this I mean sucking snow it the motor. If you have modified the air box or (on Polaris) the round "seal" that goes between the airbox and the cowling is not sealing you can run fine powdery snow in the the moter. This is very bad. A motor will eat a little and just bog. Anything more than a little and you will burn start burning things up. This was especially a concern on the older piston port engines but a case reed engine will do so to. I speak from the vioce of experience.....a bad experience.

I was at Petersville yesterday and this happened to me twice on my 03 RMK 800. Another RMK rider sold me to close the 2 front intakes when I'm running in deep powder. The only time it bogged down is when we were in 3 or more feet of powder and the snow was coming over the cowling. Anyone else tried this?

If your machine doesn't already have them, Polaris sells a kit to install sliding vent closures on the inside of an Edge cowl. I close mine down in deep snow and when it gets really cold. The kit doesn't cost much and is worth adding.

Thanks, Mine has the vents so I'll give it a try next trip!

Default Generation 11

GEN 2 machine? Been told that you can burn a motor up and actually melt the cowling if you close up all your vents (even with just screens) ... just passing on what I was told at Eagle River Polaris... The slides on lower vents sound like a good idea for temporary fixes.

The other option is to wrap the pipe. A thin layer of some high temp insulation wrapped around the expansion chamber will take care of the problem and you won't have to worry about overheating your cowling.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up Tape

Do you have a make, model, store for this high temp tape?

Default Snow

If you are in deep dry powder you have to close the front vent. If you are on trails in harm weather and go slow you need to open them up. I own an 02 800 RMK, it know has a 159 track on it. This sled has been very dependable with over 4k on it with no problem. The only time I ever had the engine over heat I was stuck on a groomed trail through heavy timber and could not get snow on the slides and coolers. You have to seek powder snow with a longer track. When stuck on trails sometimes you just have to slow down and drive through the trees for a few. If not expect the engine to over heat and the slides to burn off.

People forget that sleds are not cars. You have to be an active rider. By this I mean your have to anticipate the contitions and work with them. You have to maintain your sled. There is no reason with a newer sled not to get 5k out of it......unless the new model looks better.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    Do you have a make, model, store for this high temp tape?
    Exhaust wrap

Here's a link. You can also google "Exhaust wrap" and come up with quite a few options.

When the snow hits the expansion chamber, it cools it down which changes the amount of backpressure causing the engine to blubber (technical term). You either have to keep the snow from coming into contact with the pipe (can cause heating/melting problems) or keep the pipe insulated from the snow by wrapping it. I've seen it happen a few times (mostly to aftermarket pipes) and tape always cleared it up.
    AKmud