Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer vs Seward

Default Homer vs Seward

Planning a trip to Alaska with my husband (who fishes a lot out of San Diego and Mexico) in July or begining of August. Can't decide which city (Homer or Seward) is best to do our full-day King Salmon and Halibut fishing out of. Called a few places in both cities and they both told me different things ... HELP! Also, what are your opinions on the Halibut/Salmon COMBO full-day trips, are these mostly motoring hours and for those who don't have much time?

Any specific companies you suggest?

All suggestions and advice ... PLEASE!

Default Homer vs Seward

Seward basically has no salmon fishing till the Silvers arrive in late summer. The halibut fishing out of Seward is basically gone. Only good Halibut fishing is when you get on a charter boat and run out towards Montague Island. It is a long run there and back so fishing time is short only 4hrs. Halibut run about about 25 lb average.

Don't do much out of Homer so have no knowledge, but I would go there over Homer. But you might want to look into going out of Valdez.

By the way I am a charter Captain and know the Seward and Valdez area's well.

Default Homer vs Seward

I meant to say go to Homer over Seward, sorry

Default Seward

If it were me I`d PM AKCapt for his business info. and book a ride with him.

I personally fish quite a bit out of Seward and regularly take limits of salmon/rockfish/halibut w/an occasional Ling. July 1 is about the time the silvers start to get concentrated around the Pony Cove area and beyond.

If your only interest was just kings or halibut I`d vote for Homer if I knew a capt. that could put me on kings. I`ve been skunked by the Homer kings too many times. Chicken sized halibut are easy pickens. You will ultimately come home with much more fish on a combo charter out of Seward. If Homer was the best place to be I`d fish it much more. Keep in mind when fishing for halibut out of Homer that the tide really rips and often the charters use 5lbs. of lead to get to the bottom...not my cup of tea. Out of Seward the tides are very calm by comparison.

I try to take into account overall cost to catch ratio and Seward wins hands down IMO.

Default End of July first of Aug.

I have been fishing the end of July since 1969 in Alaska, and The halibut, silvers and a few Kings are in the Cook Inlet, about a 20 mile boat trip to the fishing grounds, I have fished the Seward area also, it is about a 60 mile trip to Montique Island, you will catch Halibut, Lingcod, Black rock fish, Yellow eye, and silvers (LOTS OF SILVERS). So do you want a one hour or three hour trip to the fishing grounds. You can go out of Deep Creek, Anchor Point, or Homer to fish the Cook Inlet. Good Luck I might see you there. Gerberman

I've found that Homer vs Seward vs Valdez has more to do with what Captain and boat you get than almost anything else. Some guys have great gear, are friendly, and will do what it takes to put you on fish. Some won't run far, have rotten gear, but will most likely still catch you plenty of fish as well.

AkCapt sure seems knowledgeable, and helpful to me on these forums. There are other great ones out there as well. Just keep posting on this thread with who have available dates and someone will pm you.

Good luck to you and your family while you are up here. Also IMO combo trips are not the best way to go either........fish for one or the other if you want better success. Both Trolling and fishing bait both require time, tides, patience, luck and the ability to cover some water and move often. So trying to do both (while it can be done) seems harder to me. Whatever charter you book would be a lot more knowledgeable than me though.

Hi there,

Look fishing is fishing. If you go with a good guide in Homer or Seward you will get a good trip. As far as the first post, I'll have to call BS on that. I can catch salmon 12 months a year from Seward. As my friends over in Homer can too. There are some great captains in both ports that guide their clients to some great catches of halibut and salmon.

I think the very best halibut fishing from any port on the Kenai Penninsula is going to require a boat ride. That is just part of the deal.

I am sure either way you will have a great trip and if you want to PM me I will be glad to suggest some guys in I know in Seward and Homer.

Default I would have to agree with AKCapt

I have been fishing out of Seward now for a couple of years (this time around anyway) and sure it might not be like it was 25 years ago, but heck, nothing is...

I get plenty of 20 ponders is Resurrection bay and a good friend of mine likes to run to Homer for a few fish, but like Seward, they run for a few hours to the holes.

Good captains, good bait, bring tight lines... Its fishing.

Just a tip though, I would give AKCapt a hard look for Seward. He's honest, works hard, and gives sound advice...

Good luck.
    Tony

Late July/Beginning of Aug is a little late for kings in Homer, IMO. They can be caught there all year round, but June is a better time in my experience. As for Seward, the only king I have caught there was during the Silver Salmon Derby in August. The halibut fishing is good in both areas, but I personally like Homer better for the Butt

We used Puffin Charters for halibut out of Seward and had a great trip. That is all I can contribute on that. I prefer rivers myself. Should they be small rivers with many fish and few people, all the better

Do yourself a favor no matter what you decide. Enjoy the drive from Seward to Homer (or Homer to Seward) and see the sights. Just a beautiful area. Below are some pics we got in Sept from this area. We were camped on the Upper Kenai where we spent time with some friends from the forum ("Fishapalooza"). The wife and I took off a day or two and got some pictures and generally acted like the tourist we are. First half of the slideshow is scenery and landscape images, second half is pics of the fellas, fishing, and rafting. The Kenai has lots to offer. Lovely part of the state and it would be a shame to limit yourself to only one side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...51000035/show/

Below are some pics from the Kenai (Seward and Homer) last May. The wildlife images were taken on a day cruise with Kenai Fjords Tours in Seward. The one we did was called the "Captains Choice" Tour and I recommend it highly. So much to see in that one day cruise. A must do if you find the time. Below are the pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think I'd go the Homer route personally. You can get some real nice halibut if the weather isn't too bad and a limit of silvers that time of year. But unless you get way out there you probably won't get any yelloweye, Lingcod or rockfish. That's the only reason I'd go out of Seward.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

From my experience most Homer charters are halibut only, and most charters don't run out far enough to get to the structure that holds ling cod and rock fish.

I used to gear my trips towards halibut, not understanding why folks get so excited about catching silvers. But now that I have my own boat, and target all species, I understand why folks get fired up about silvers. Catching silvers in the salt is lots of fun for the fisherman, medium weight tackle, lively fish, and larger limits than halibut.

So based on the time I've spent fishing out of Seward, I'd say a halibut/silver/rockfish combo trip is by far the better route to go for the fisherman. Mid July to early August is perfect timing.

IMO, if you really want to catch a King Salmon in July, take a full day charter on the Kenia River. I think that is your best bet to catching one. Keep in mind, not everyone catches one, but some charters do have a good record. Have to do it in July. If you want a great halibut trip, I'd go out of Homer or Ninilchik. If your on a budget and only can make one trip and want a wide variety of fish, go out of Seward and try for the big 4. Halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish and Silvers. If your making a trip of a lifetime to Alaska and budget is not a factor, Fish Homer for Halibut and Lingcod. See if they will go to the Barren Islands weather permitting. , Kings out of Kenia River and Silvers out of Seward. If scenery and sea life is a plus for you, Seward trip is hands down the clear winner over the two locations. Asking for a preferance of one place to fish Seward vs Homer, I love them both. Weather and Boat Charter selection are key for a memorable successful trip, but even the best charter has a bad day. Good Luck Hope you have a great trip.

Thumbs up Both!

AKcaptain is 100% on it. You will not go wrong with either Homer or Seward. I'll make it easy for you, do BOTH! You will never regret it. Just be sure to get on a reputable boat and you cannot go wrong. I personally go out of Seward a lot more only because it is closer but that is the only reason. Just pack a good lunch, drinks, GOOD rain gear so you won't be miserable in case it does start raining, you can still fish in comfort instead of retreating to the cabin and take some of the non drowsy Dramamine just to be sure you won't get sick. If you want, shoot me a PM and I can give you a couple suggestions on who I would personally recommend. Have fun!

Will

Default Weather Plays A Part

The question your asking is a familiar one on this site. The posts you've read above are to the point and good advice.

Both Seward and Homer ports are busy places in the summer, but ten minutes out of the harbor all that changes. I like both areas and tow my boat back and forth from Soldtona several times a year depending upon the weather, fish runs, or just for a change of scenery.

A dependent variable is our local version of marine weather, it can be iffy on some days. That's not to say that you won't have a good charter trip if it rains or even if a bit of a breeze is up. However, on some days the weather, consequently the sea, can be decidedly more comfortable to sport fish in one area over another. The charters seem to go in all weather unless they see it as dangerous whereas I won't go if it looks uncomfortable. I check the weather (there are other sites):

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ141

I'd recommend that you remain flexible and be prepared to adjust accordingly. For instance, Cook Inlet can be miserable to fish with its big tides and winds. Check the marine weather forecast or call AkCapt a couple days before your arrival and get an observation/recommendation from someone that is on the water every day.

A little preparation and planning and I'm sure you'll have good and safe day on the water. DANATTHEROCK's photo's remind me that there is something under all this the snow and ice and that it's only about 90 days till we see the good times of summer, again.

AkCapt is on the ball, very objective advice! If a long boat ride is what you fear come to Yakutat, 45 mins is a looonnnggg boat ride to the fish. Most of it is 20 to 30 mins form the dock, shallow water ie less than 100 feet deep, great rockfish, halibut, ling and salmon fishing. Huge halibut average too. PM me for more details about world class fishing in the greatest place on earth.

Default I'm coming!!

hmmm Yakutat is in 3A right? So I can bring my 14 passenger death wagon down there?

If there is one place I wish I could go fishing for fun in Alaska it would be Yakutat. That place is one of the last great fishing spots in Alaska.

If you are looking for Halibut I would go to Homer. It's called Halibut capital of the world for a reason...

Now Seward is good to if yuo go with a charter that can get out there and find the halibut. Also with Seward you can also pick up a mix bag of sea bass, lings, yelloweye. As compared to Homer where its just halibut unless you go way out.

Weather: My past experience seward tends to have more blow out days compared to Homer.

Experience: Seward and Homer are awesome places to visit

Either place you choose you can't go wrong.
    bring a camera!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I still think for an avid fisherman, a mixed bag trip out of Seward is a better fishing experience then dropping 3-5# cod weights and pulling up a couple of 20-30# fish out of homer.

I did have one great trip out of homer on a delta where I'd brought my own rod and jigs, and caught over 20 halibut. I kept throwing them back looking for the big one while everyone else on the boat was working towards their limit. Never did get the big one, but had a great time trying.

And conversly my worst charter trip was out of a seward on a Delta. They ran us to the outside of Montague, the never moved the boat in spite of the bite never picking up, and reluctantly hit a chicken hole on the way back but it was inhabited with dogfish.

By all means put the effort into finding a good captain that will put the effort into finding you fish. Who you go with is much more important than where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    hmmm Yakutat is in 3A right? So I can bring my 14 passenger death wagon down there?

If there is one place I wish I could go fishing for fun in Alaska it would be Yakutat. That place is one of the last great fishing spots in Alaska.
    Yup... sitting pretty in 3A, but also in South East... 1 line/ rod per person not to exceed 6 lines at any given time. Keep the "meat" wagon where you are, unless you can rationalize to clients why they can't fish and the other half can.... It has been done here, but not enough success to stay in business. The carnage would be biblical too!
    I'll take you anytime, stay in touch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast