Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mat-Su Fish & Game Advisory Board Elections Wednesday Evening‏

Default Mat-Su Fish & Game Advisory Board Elections Wednesday Evening‏

The meeting will be at 7:00 pm Wednesday Jan 13 in the Wasilla High School Theater located at 701 E Bogard.
    Without your vote, this advisory committee may move to Greenie control. Plan to go and vote for the slate below.

We are facing a real threat from anti hunting-trapping-predator control supporters in this yearís election.
    They brought 130 people to the Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee Meeting last Tuesday evening.
    This turnout was roughly triple normal total attendance.
    Fortunately the combined efforts of AOC, SWC and other consumptive users turned out lots more than that.
    I believe we have done a good job of rallying several sportsman's groups but we need all the votes we can get.
    Please be there early to sign in.
    Dane Crowley Executive Director of SFW Alaska has created this list for your consideration.

Our Candidates are:

Mel Grove
    Bennett Durgeloh
    Andy Couch
    Rick Kinmon
    Dan Montgomery
    Eric Beckman
    Fred Lehman
    Tony Jones

Remember, this AC affects you directly if you hunt or fish in the Anchorage or Mat-Su area including the Nelchina Basin.
    For better or worse, democracy only works for you if you show up!

From what have heard Rick Kinmon & Fred Lehman will not be running for a seat, but Stephan Bartelli & Kathy Thompson were recommended by Dane Crowley as were the others on the list. Hope to see a big crowd tonight voting for whom ever they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post
    From what have heard Rick Kinmon & Fred Lehman will not be running for a seat, but Stephan Bartelli & Kathy Thompson were recommended by Dane Crowley as were the others on the list. Hope to see a big crowd tonight voting for whom ever they see fit.

That update is in fact true. Thanks for the correction.

this thread should get good.. wheres the popcorn smiley??

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKLIVENDIE View Post

There is a huge crowd there. I left early since I had some family stuff to take care of.

I would estimate over 600 people there.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default meeting

Stayed to vote must have been 500 before us and a couple hundred still waiting to vote
    Alex

Default 600 plus people showed.

Thanks for all that did and we had a great group of people applying. Some on lists and some not. Wish everyone would show up like that during the rest of the year or during Board meetings. Wishful thinking, I know
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Great turn out!

Wow! What a great turn out. We had 639 sign up and this didn't include the under 18 crowd.

It is nice to several different organizations unite. It is about time! Hopefully we will see this togetherness in the future and not just the Election night for Advisory Committees.

Results:
    3 year term
    Andy Couch 612
    Mel Grove 604
    Tony Jones 599
    Dan Montgomery 594
    Steve Bartelli 551
    2 Year term
    Bennett Durgeloh 504
    Alternates:
    Erick Beckman 503
    Kathy Thompson 435
    Not Elected
    Don Dygert 9
    Dan Blair 47
    Rick Kinmon 41

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Wow! What a great turn out. We had 639 sign up and this didn't include the under 18 crowd.

It is nice to several different organizations unite. It is about time! Hopefully we will see this togetherness in the future and not just the Election night for Advisory Committees.

Results:
    3 year term
    Andy Couch 612
    Mel Grove 604
    Tony Jones 599
    Dan Montgomery 594
    Steve Bartelli 551
    2 Year term
    Bennett Durgeloh 504
    Alternates:
    Erick Beckman 503
    Kathy Thompson 435
    Not Elected
    Don Dygert 9
    Dan Blair 47
    Rick Kinmon 41

Troy
    Not familiar with any of those names. Anyone we should watch out for in particular?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Anyone to watch out for? I'm confused?

Watch out for what? All are hunter/fishers/conservationists. What more do you need to know?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I think he wants to know how many if any are anti hunters in this line up?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I think he wants to know how many if any are anti hunters in this line up?
    Yes, And also considering there has been much debate recently in the partnership between "corporately influenced" names/organizations, and their desire to carry a seat on the AC, thus helping to feed their own needs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I've got a few question, it seem we have elected a pro guide board,with lots of interest for themselves,it wasn't too long ago Dan montgomery tried too pass a reg. that residents should only be allowed to harvest a sheep every 3 years,while he would continue whacking rams with his non-resident clients,i hope he has changed his ways.....someone please tell me i'm wrong.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    I've got a few question, it seem we have elected a pro guide board,with lots of interest for themselves,it wasn't too long ago Dan montgomery tried too pass a reg. that residents should only be allowed to harvest a sheep every 3 years,while he would continue whacking rams with his non-resident clients,i hope he has changed his ways.....someone please tell me i'm wrong.....
    No you are probably right. Dan has a very aircraft intensive operation that results in a pretty much 100% success ratio. He is not a friend of the resident sheep hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    No you are probably right. Dan has a very aircraft intensive operation that results in a pretty much 100% success ratio. He is not a friend of the resident sheep hunter.
    Just for the hell of it, I got with my buddy Google and found a LOT of proposals regarding sheep hunting, specifically making it so that ALL non-resident sheep hunters must have a guide-client contract.

Wouldn't that in turn boost his business? Hell even if he only got 1 extra client/year, thats what...$10k?

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Advisory Board

I am afraid it has turned political. Especially with groups like this showing up. "Conservative Patriots Group".

Default Here we go again.

Here we go again! Before you start bashing people you don't know you should attend our meetings and see how these people thing and work. Also just because a guide or two are on AC it doesn't mean that this AC sleeping with the guide industry.

Dan Montgomery is a great asset to have on our AC. Dan is also the same person that got the residents goat hunter off a draw in 14c and put it back to registration. He is also the same guide that told his client to say home since there where no legal sheep to be had (lost $14,000). He then told ADF&G last year to cut back on the permits in 14c due to low sheep numbers. He was also the same person that proposed to limit non resident sheep hunters in 14c. The BOG is the ones that screwed up what we currently have. He will be a big help on helping us understand the new guide connession thing.

I had several sheep meeting at my home and he was always one of the first to arrive and the last to leave. He is a guide, but he lives in Alaska and spends his money here also.

Both Andy Couch and Mel Grove are fishing guides. Andy MATSU valley river guide and Mel Valdez Halibut and are both very active in protect your rights. Tony Jones, donít know much about him, but one of the leaving members highly recommended him. Young guy, does the trapping thing.

Steve another person I donít know, but he has attend several meetings and seems to know what he is talking about.

Bennett, another person that got reelected and we are glad. He is sitting on several other panels (forget the names), but they have to do with land rights and forestry etcÖ another great asset to this AC.

Donít know much about the two alternates. Someone last night spoke up for Kathy and mentioned she is the go to person for the Disabled Vets fishing tournament on the Little sue and has been there since it started (8yrs)

We lost (didnít run for re-election) Tony Russ, Kenny Barber, John Otcheck. We had two people leave earlier in the year, Glen Holt and Rob Kuchenoff.

Don't know what else to say, but if you don't like how this system works you have two choices. Sit on your hasses and ***** about it on a forum or get off your hasses and attend a meeting or two and voice your opinion.

Bottom line is the majority of you would rather ***** about someone or something then do something yourselves. Good for you! I don't operate this way. Granted I do more than my share of complaining and plan on doing more this next BOG meeting, but I am also spending alot of my free time working for this AC, working on proposals etc... I am not a guide. I am a member or have been a member of the following groups: RMEF, AOC, SCI, AMF, SFW, NRA, FNAWS, ABA, N***,(not sure why it won't let me abbreviate the turkey org, but it does). I don't recieve a paycheck from none of them.

The upper management of Alaska Department of Commericial Fish and Human Managment has really screwed things up and it will take awhile before we can even start gaining ground.

troy

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Here we go again! Before you start bashing people you don't know you should attend our meetings and see how these people thing and work. Also just because a guide or two are on AC it doesn't mean that this AC sleeping with the guide industry.

Dan Montgomery is a great asset to have on our AC. Dan is also the same person that got the residents goat hunter off a draw in 14c and put it back to registration. He is also the same guide that told his client to say home since there where no legal sheep to be had (lost $14,000). He then told ADF&G last year to cut back on the permits in 14c due to low sheep numbers. He was also the same person that proposed to limit non resident sheep hunters in 14c. The BOG is the ones that screwed up what we currently have. He will be a big help on helping us understand the new guide connession thing.

I had several sheep meeting at my home and he was always one of the first to arrive and the last to leave. He is a guide, but he lives in Alaska and spends his money here also.

Both Andy Couch and Mel Grove are fishing guides. Andy MATSU valley river guide and Mel Valdez Halibut and are both very active in protect your rights. Tony Jones, donít know much about him, but one of the leaving members highly recommended him. Young guy, does the trapping thing.

Steve another person I donít know, but he has attend several meetings and seems to know what he is talking about.

Bennett, another person that got reelected and we are glad. He is sitting on several other panels (forget the names), but they have to do with land rights and forestry etcÖ another great asset to this AC.

Donít know much about the two alternates. Someone last night spoke up for Kathy and mentioned she is the go to person for the Disabled Vets fishing tournament on the Little sue and has been there since it started (8yrs)

We lost (didnít run for re-election) Tony Russ, Kenny Barber, John Otcheck. We had two people leave earlier in the year, Glen Holt and Rob Kuchenoff.

Don't know what else to say, but if you don't like how this system works you have two choices. Sit on your hasses and ***** about it on a forum or get off your hasses and attend a meeting or two and voice your opinion.

Bottom line is the majority of you would rather ***** about someone or something then do something yourselves. Good for you! I don't operate this way. Granted I do more than my share of complaining and plan on doing more this next BOG meeting, but I am also spending alot of my free time working for this AC, working on proposals etc... I am not a guide. I am a member or have been a member of the following groups: RMEF, AOC, SCI, AMF, SFW, NRA, FNAWS, ABA, N***,(not sure why it won't let me abbreviate the turkey org, but it does). I don't recieve a paycheck from none of them.

The upper management of Alaska Department of Commericial Fish and Human Managment has really screwed things up and it will take awhile before we can even start gaining ground.

troy
    No need to get bent out of shape. It was a simple question that deserves an honest answer. AC is just like local government- In place to voice the opinions of the people and express resolution and change that will benefit everyone in the long run...not just ones' self. So if it appears that the stage is set for the opposite, folks are gonna raise the flag.

Troy, any clue as to why Tony didn't run again? Sorry to lose his contribution on the AC as chair. Who is the chair now?

Default For the sake of arguement....

Let us say Montgomery is a guide, so what. Our last AC chair, tony Russ was a guide and he consistently voted in favor of of Alaska residents having first shot, pun intended, at the resource. He also wanted non residents to also have some access cause his thought was he didn't want to get shut out completely from another state's resource either. Fair is fair.
    You have to remember, there are 15 seats or so that vote. You need a majority to carry the day. I myself, am glad of other perspectives on the board. Makes a fellow think, not just rubberstamp.
    Bush, Tony wanted to free up some of his time and thought it was time for other people to carry the day. I can't say I blame him. I'm probably going to give it up next year when my seat is up too. Let somebody else participate on the committee. NEXT!!! In line, you're up!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast