Thread: Best time of day to fly and scout

Default Best time of day to fly and scout

Whats the best time of day to fly and scout for moose ? I'm wanting to try a new area this season but want to see if its worth the time to get in there. Want to fly the area a few days before I head in .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The best time to fly usually is not the best time to scout, that being said. I would try to be over your hunting area right at dawn. The winds will normally be the most calm in the early morning and that makes LOW and SLOW safer. Remember one looking for game and the other flying the plane. Very EZ to get into trouble doing what you have in mind. Also in the early morning you have a chance to catch game out in the open before they bed down. Moose can be seen while bedded, but allot better chance if they are out in the open. They tend to bed down during the heat of the day. The winds start to blow as the sun starts to get the thermals going.

The evening is good if you can get back before dark, but if you have trouble you face having to wait for daylight for help.

Scouting is hunting without a gun, so the same tactics apply. I hunt early morning and late evening, but keep an eye open all day, more so closer to the rut.
    Good luck and be safe.

Steve

Spend the "flying" money on a good set of binoculars, spotting scope and tripod, find a good hill, learn to glass - forget the flying.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

sunrise and sun set when the light shines off antlers is the best, you can see decent bulls from a lonnnnggg way off.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for the info, I just have to find someone in the Talkeetna area with a plane that does not use it for tourist . Just want to get an idea of what is in the area since I'm limited to the last week of the season or so ,Did not want to sit there and stare at the woods for a week unless I knew something was around

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Spend the "flying" money on a good set of binoculars, spotting scope and tripod, find a good hill, learn to glass - forget the flying.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)
    Thats the where the problem is ,No hills around here all swamps ,I have all the other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thats the where the problem is ,No hills around here all swamps ,I have all the other stuff
    Wow! No hills? Haven't been down that way since last September - but - do you know what they did with the Talkeetna Mountains? Must have been quite a "project" to move them!
    Joe (Ak)

Default Time of day

Time of day doesn't matter...the sheep will there or somewhere at all times of the day, whether they are bedding down or feeding.

i think it was moose we were talkin' about.

best thing i've found is calling from the same location for three days straight...moose will be there.
    i've had 60 plus in bulls in the parking lot of the air taxi i use in talkeetna...lotta good country that you don't really need to fly out to hunt.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My bad should of said I was scouting for MOOSE. wantj43 I hunt on the other side of the highway

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    My bad should of said I was scouting for MOOSE. wantj43 I hunt on the other side of the highway
    Just kidding - didn't really think the mountains had been moved!
    Still would find "hill"!
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

Sorry my bad.....i was thinking about sheep....somehow I was talking to someone about flying and sheep came up.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Still would find "hill"!
    Not much for hills either

Default spotting from the air

Spotting from the air is not what its thought to be. There is an even chance you won't see anything and just spend a bunch of money. To really see game you need to be as the old saying goes in the dirt. The other way is to sit at 1000' and watch with bino's, if you aren't prone to airsickness.(warning:don't open the window if you want to blow lunch). anyway if you know any of the tourist pilots you might consider taking one over to the hotel for lunch. Pilots will spill the beans for food !

Thumbs up

Daylight til 30 minutes after sunup, on a clear cold morning. Every moose in the valley will be standing and feeding.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    The other way is to sit at 1000' and watch with bino's,
    The only way I can do that over here is by plane My argo full of gear is higher than any hill over here ,HMMMMM pilots are that hungry ?