Thread: Staying Warm

Default Staying Warm

Just wondering how eveyone who winter fishes stays warm? Any clothing recommendations? Brands, types, links, all much appreciated!

Layers. For winter upper kenai I usually go with a turtle neck, then polar fleece long sleve shirt , and a thick polar fleece pull over with pockets in the front. Like a hoodie but no hood,. I wear a standard stocking cap, them pull my waders on. I carry one more fleece pull over incase i get cold or the wind picks up. I do put toe warmers in the feet of my waders. I carry hand warmers in my gloves. I cast with my right hand so i can leave that glove on untill a fish hits and then Ill drop it. The left hand, Well I hold a hand warmer while I strip sometime or drift. Or leave it in the glove. Just shove my hand in my glove for 4 or 5 minutes and it warms up to numb, My glove gets hot with those hand warmers in them. Cold hands and fingers happen. what makes it so enjoyable is getting to land the fish. Wet your hands, hold fish, take pic, rinse hand. Oh yea big fun Plus when your know your making that run for 5-7 hours, you have to prepare yourself mentally to be cold at some point.

This was a december trip 13 degrees at photo time
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

good socks and non leaking waders go a long long way
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

Layers

a turtle neck

polar fleece long sleve shirt

a thick polar fleece pull over

a hoodie

stocking cap

waders

one more fleece pull over

toe warmers

hand warmers

gloves

Damm Chuck!

You need to put on some weight man.

Got me sweating just reading that.

And no Dave!! That doesn't mean I am hot for Chuck

John is

Oh, you forgot one thing...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    good socks and non leaking waders go a long long way

Really? Are you serious? I would have never thought of that. I guess using my leaking waders and barefoot has been the problem Knowing all this now Ill never be cold again.

The 2 major areas of the body that are difficult to keep warm are your hands and your feet. Good socks and waders that don't leak are essential, but if you stand in the water long enough, even the best socks and waders may not be enough. You can combat this one of two ways... you can either move around a lot, not standing in the water for long periods of time. Or you can use some type of chemical foot warmer insert, which are cheap and effective. I prefer using both because once your feet get cold it's darn near impossible to get them warm again.
    Keeping hands warm is another issue because you need to use them to cast, strip, tie a knot, etc. You can wear fingerless gloves, which help, but the exposed fingers will undoubtedly get cold no matter what brand of gloves you have. Once again, I love the chemical hand warmers because they are awesome to store in your pocket, this way you can occasionally take a 1 minute break to dry off your fingers and warm them in your pockets.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Really? Are you serious? I would have never thought of that. I guess using my leaking waders and barefoot has been the problem Knowing all this now Ill never be cold again.
    I was fishing last winter with leaky waders, this year I was smart and got my new waders in the fall, now to get to old ones warrentied and then I'll have backup!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Just wondering how eveyone who winter fishes stays warm? Any clothing recommendations? Brands, types, links, all much appreciated!
    bring allot of fat chicks with.
    Semper Fi!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Layers. For winter upper kenai I usually go with a turtle neck, then polar fleece long sleve shirt , and a thick polar fleece pull over with pockets in the front. Like a hoodie but no hood,. I wear a standard stocking cap, them pull my waders on. I carry one more fleece pull over incase i get cold or the wind picks up. I do put toe warmers in the feet of my waders. I carry hand warmers in my gloves. I cast with my right hand so i can leave that glove on untill a fish hits and then Ill drop it. The left hand, Well I hold a hand warmer while I strip sometime or drift. Or leave it in the glove. Just shove my hand in my glove for 4 or 5 minutes and it warms up to numb, My glove gets hot with those hand warmers in them. Cold hands and fingers happen. what makes it so enjoyable is getting to land the fish. Wet your hands, hold fish, take pic, rinse hand. Oh yea big fun Plus when your know your making that run for 5-7 hours, you have to prepare yourself mentally to be cold at some point.

This was a december trip 13 degrees at photo time

that was you?

man i seen that on one of my trips south... I was sure it was one of the telly tubbies on vaction ...wasn't gonna say anything as didn't think anyone would belive it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Bite me vince. Sorry that is all I got after spending the last 45 minutes on the phone with you. Thanks for the call my friend

Default wool and windproof

When cold water fishing I will wear a pair of under armour cold gear leggings, the snug fit style, then a pair of expedition weight wool bottoms on top of those from a company called minus 33. This is a low bulk high warmth way to stay warm. I also get a heavy pair of wool socks and hand warmers for my tops.

Up top i also like the tight fitting under armour cold gear and expedition weight wool. On really cold days I'll put a heavy wool sweater on over all of that.

The biggest thing that has helped me though is I bought a completely windproof marmot top. It stops ALL drafts which is what always makes a cold day into an unbearable one for me.

I just got a simms wading jacket which I'm excited to try and I also use the fleece simms gloves with the fold over mitts.

Cabelas Thermastat is great as a first layer. a wool shirt is never a bad idea. If its really cold my wool pants go on as well.

Default Too easy...

Surprised no one has had the guts to share the real secret with the OP...

This is how to stay warm whilst winter fishing...

Buy one of these and then put one of these in it.

Beyond that you can wear jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes if you want to. Though I prefer a basic polar fleece top & bottom along with my Muck boots and a light jacket.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for all the posts!

Default Winter dress

Ya'all are talkiing about what you wear on top, but no one mentioned what they wear under their waders.

I will wear a pair of long johns. Depending on how cold it is, will help me decide how heavey they are. On top of that I wear a 300 weight fleece wading pant.

Another consideration is that if you wear lace up wader boots, don't cinch them down. Your feet need circulation to help stay warm.

I usually wear/carry a lightweight windproof shell to throw on the top. I have a Cabela's that will fit in one of my pockets. Waterproof, windproof, breathable, 1/4 zip so it vents well during exercise.