Thread: Backing to Braid Knot

Default Backing to Braid Knot

I just got a couple new Avets. A friend gave me a large spool of braid (65#). I normally have my reels spooled but since I have this big spool of line, I want to fill it myself. What kind if knot can I tie the backing line to the braid line with?

Tie a Bimini in each end of backing and braid.

Loop the two together with a 10 turn Cat's Paw.

Done.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I've used an Albright with a twist and super glue.

80# dacron to 80# Power Pro.

Seems the OP's question can't be answered well unless we know what is being used for backing... hmmm...

I'm just now working on the best way to attach a 25' topshot of 35# fluorocarbon to 50# hollowcore braid to go on my new spinning reels...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Seems the OP's question can't be answered well unless we know what is being used for backing... hmmm...

I'm just now working on the best way to attach a 25' topshot of 35# fluorocarbon to 50# hollowcore braid to go on my new spinning reels...

-Case
    Case
    Try a back to back UNI knot.
    It works for me.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...late=knot8.cfm

Minor hijack:

Case, good question you pose about the flouro/hollow braid connection. Try asking Mr. Kilsong http://www.jignpop.com/ (his shop site - see his contact info)). His experience, expertise and knowledge about such stuff is legend. On top of that he's an extrodinarily nice guy. Good luck.

Homertime, Kilsong would be another good source for your question too.

- Jay

Yeah, that's what I used to use until a 45# albacore hit one of my lines this summer - on a retrieve...already had the uni-knots wound on - at about 50 mph... the knot caught the guide and tore it and the 3 smaller right off the rod.

I'm playing with the Sebile knot at the moment... my first few tries look horrible, but once it's refined and smooth looking it's WAY skinnier than anything else I've seen... reminds me of an Albright, but stretched out a bit.

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Case
    Try a back to back UNI knot.
    It works for me.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...late=knot8.cfm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speaking of topshots, I've gone to putting 10-12' of 80# mono on my bottom fishing rigs, and highly recomend the mono topshot for multiple reasons.

When boating a fish, you can grab the line and don't have the hazard of a running fish causing the braid to cut your hand like a bandsaw.

It adds a bit of stretch into the system.

Mono is much more abrasion resistant than braid, so you're more likely to get your hung up jigs off the bottom vs. breaking them off.

Tie a bimini with the braid and then do a uni-uni knot to the backing

midknot.doc Here's another presentation of how to tie the midknot (doc.)

Case,

For a super low profile (and high strength ) knot, give the mid knot a try
    http://www.jigsdirect.com/eMerchantP...hing_knots.asp

Works excellent on braid to flouro.

- Jay

Yeah, that's what I used to use until a 45# albacore hit one of my lines this summer - on a retrieve...already had the uni-knots wound on - at about 50 mph... the knot caught the guide and tore it and the 3 smaller right off the rod.

I'm playing with the Sebile knot at the moment... my first few tries look horrible, but once it's refined and smooth looking it's WAY skinnier than anything else I've seen... reminds me of an Albright, but stretched out a bit.

-Case
    I don't have a big problem with tuna here in the NWT so haven't run into that problem.

I don't have a big problem with tuna here in the NWT so haven't run into that problem.
    No, I didn't figure I would either, but when I took my Alaska fish killing machine south just a few miles, all of a sudden I'm an offshore tuna and marlin boat... and Alaska (Feds, actually) still keep trying to give me an Alaska charter boat permit... I guess my boat suffers from a bit of confusion about it's true personality! ;-)

That mid-knot looks interesting...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, I didn't figure I would either, but when I took my Alaska fish killing machine south just a few miles, all of a sudden I'm an offshore tuna and marlin boat... and Alaska (Feds, actually) still keep trying to give me an Alaska charter boat permit... I guess my boat suffers from a bit of confusion about it's true personality! ;-)

That mid-knot looks interesting...

-Case
    Just think
    You can sell off your new halibut quota and use the money to catch more tuna!!!!

Just think
    You can sell off your new halibut quota and use the money to catch more tuna!!!!
    Not to hijack the thread too badly, but it's not technically a "quota"... it's an LEP that simply allows me to go fishing with clients.

Ironically, the money raised from the sale of my Alaska halibut permit may well go to fund some tuna fishing... and with proper permits, it's legal to sell albacore here. The proceeds from tuna sales will undoubtedly fund more fuel for more fishing.... it's a vicious cycle! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Case
    The best knot for your situation is NO KNOT!

You have hollow core braid.

Thread 10" of the fluoro down the hollow middle of the braid... Chinese finger cuff style. 100% connection.

To prevent slippage, tie a nail knot (1/2 a uni-) in the tag end of the hollow braid to anchor that end of the "finger cuff". Alternatively, you can tie in a separate nail knot with 2-4# mono or whip finish with fly-tying thread over the frayed ends of braid.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Mono to spectra or sprectra to backing?

I use the improved albright for everything in Alaska. With a bimini twist on the spectra and the spectra wrapping up on the mono. My friends down south like the Tony Pena/Roddy Hays knot ( put that into youtube and it will show you that knot).

The hardcore jigging crowd like Kil Song ( He has fished on my boat several times) tend to splice the mono into the hollow core specrta. There is also some complicated Japanese serving technique where they do the hollow core splice and then take a device with a spool of thin spectra and serve it around the splice. This makes it so there is no mono tag end sticking out, totally smooth connection. Great for casting. This is too much work for me though.

With all that said, I have caught and seen dozens of other huge Yellowfin tuna, Marlin and Dall's Porpoise caught on the spectra to mono with an Albright and have never see that be the cause of any failure.