Thread: 458 lott load

Default 458 lott load

Hello,
    I just joined the forum and and would like to ask some of you expert reloaders about loading the 458 lott with 300gr and 350gr loads. I have a barnes manual 3 that covers the older bullets they offered but nothing I have seen yet covers any other manufacture. Please help me tame my Ruger #1 a little with a reloaders cure.

Try the Accurate Reloading Forum and ask the same question in the Big Bore forum if you don't get some responses here.
    Tennessee

Thank you for the info. Hopefully they might help me out.

Both my 458 lotts shot the 350 speer and 350 well with 76-80 gr of Reloader 7 and produced 2400-2500 fps. And yes, 350 gr loads drop the lott to 375 H&H levels of recoil which makes it much more enjoyable to shoot.

You can always use 458 win mag data as a starting point for lott loads. I did that quite a bit as I was loading for the lott before Hornady produced commercial ammo, and hence data was scarce.

I have been reloading for about 2 years and have never used any reloader brand powders. IMR and Hodgdon have been my main power sources. This is still mostly new to me. I bought the 458 lott dirt cheap ($250) other wise I wouldn't have one. 45-70's and 460 S&W had been my 45 arsenal until now.

I'm sure there are other suitable powders, but I've found RL 7 to be an outstanding powder for every application that it is suitable.

The nice thing about the 458 lott is you can download it to any level you want.

Thank's for the insight. How far can a person keep adding on to 458 win loads before they should stop? How strong is a Ruger #1 action compared to bolt actions? I read that loads depend on how close the bullet is in comparison to the lands because of pressure build ups. Can you help me out here?

You're on your own when working with non published loads, but my personal approach which I can't recomend, is that since the lott runs ~150 fps faster than the win mag, I used a chrono to work up until I was ~150 fps over 458 win mag data (keeping an eye on pressure indicators) and then stopped.

With the 350 gr loads, I never went beyond 458 win mag velocity, because I was after milder recoil, and the accuracy in my gun was very good at 2400-2500 fps.

The Ruger #1 is a very strong action. I've never shot a #1 458 lott but have heard that it lets you know each and every time you shoot it. Which I assume is part of the reason you got such a good deal, it kicked the snot out of the previous owner.

The 458 lott was the first cartridge I fired where with full patch 500 gr loads, I had to limit my shooting sessions. 10 rounds during a lunch time range session was my limit, and one day I stopped after 7 shots. Neither of my lotts hurt me, but the recoil is at a level that you have to put alot of concentration in getting a good trigger break and not flinching. I've burned off 30 of the 350 gr loads with no problems, but the 500 gr loads are a whole different kettle of fish in terms of recoil.

I have the Barnes #4 and the Hornady #7 manuals and they both have data for the Lott.

The Barnes manual doesn't have any data for 350 gr loads. Hornady has half of a page or so.

Pm your phone number and I'll help you out.........I type too darn slow
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

Speer #14 has data for 350 grain bullets as well. They list 8 powders: H322, Ramshot TAC, Benchmark, Relaoder 10X, Reloader 7, IMP 4198, AA 2015 and Viht N133. Let me know if you want any of the data, I hate to type in the whole thing as prof reading it gets to be a lot of time.

Thank you,
    I'll do a search online and order a copy of the manual.