Thread: 375 hh

Default 375 hh

I know with 30-06 if I site in a littel high at 100 yards its right where I want it at 300 yards the same hold true for the 375 HH when citing in. Thank Chris

hap

A huge variety of factors influence the answer, starting with the definition of "a little" high at 100.

A 270gr Barnes TSX can be started around 2750 pretty easily in the H&H. If it is sighted in for zero at 150 yards it will be almost a foot low at 300. Zeroed at 100 yards it will be about 14" low at 300.

"A little high" should be found somewhere between those.

A 30-06 with a 180 gr bullet will be very close to those same numbers... It will get about 50fps more velocity and act pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I know with 30-06 if I site in a littel high at 100 yards its right where I want it at 300 yards the same hold true for the 375 HH when citing in. Thank Chris
    I like 2.8" high at 100 yards for the 270gr - 300gr H&H load.

That will put you between 1.2" - 1.5" high at 200 yards and 6.5" - 7.0" low at 300 yards. Your max height will be 3.0" at 130 yards.

Cheers,

Default thanks

Thanks for the information. Chris

Because you are playing with a math calculation I use a hundred yard tape measure and measure out 27 yards from the muzzle of the rifle I going to sight in. My target is going to be placed away from the muzzle at 27 yards. My sight in will be to hit that point of aim at 27 yards dead on. The term we are talking about is triangulation. At 27 yards the triangulation point is 227 yards. At a range of 250 or 300 yards you can verify your sight in.

Why do I like this type of sight in? Because it a no brainier. No fooling around with hold overs out to a couple of hundred yards. No hold under below that range. I know that wherever I aim, I going to hit what I want.

You may notices that a .30-06 using a 180 grain bullet works the same way as my 270 grain load for the .375H&H, This is why I like this sight in. Just hunt. No other messing around, works for 99.9% of my hunting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Smile me thinks...

You should sight your scoped center fire Alaskan big game rifle in to be dead on at 200 yards. You want to be sighted in for the shot distance you are most likely to take, not the one you might take. In Alaska that shot is usually under 200 yards. You want the bullet to land close to where the reticle is placed, not 3 or 4 inches above it. If the long shot presents it self and you are sure about the range then raise the reticle up on your target. Get your accuracy and then learn your trajectory. This works well for 180 grain 30-06 velocities and applies to most .300, .338 and .375 loads.

For my hunting conditions up here and my hunting style, I like a 200 yard zero for my big game hunting rifles. For a 270grn bullet out of my .375H&H that means a point of impact at about 1.75"-2.0" above point of aim at 100 yards.

Doc

My H&H I had shot 300 grain TSX at 2595fps. From memmory it was 0" at 100 yards, -3.5" at 200 yards, and -8.5" at 300 yards.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    My H&H I had shot 300 grain TSX at 2595fps. From memmory it was 0" at 100 yards, -3.5" at 200 yards, and -8.5" at 300 yards.

Brett
    Hi Brett,

I know it's just a numbers game at this point but that bullet zeroed at 100 yards is listed below using it's .357BC at 2595fps.

100 zero
    200 -4.8
    300 -17.3
    400 -39.5

I use the point blank range method for my 300gr load as listed in my earlier post.

100 +2.8
    200 +0.9
    300 -9.0

Max height will be 3" at 130 yards.

Default Maximum Point Blank Range

Yup, used the point blank range with max rise of 3" for years. If your target is less than max PBR then you can go brain dead, place the cross hairs on target and ..... squeeze. Works for 95%+ of the time and no worries for "hold over". Great way to go "in the heat of the moment" once game is sighted and in range. I get the feeling not enough use this method....but maybe I am mistaken.

No matter what you see on paper telling you where your bullet should it you really need to send a group down range at 200 and 300 yards to make sure.
    On several rifles I've owned was absolutely postive where they should of hit but they didnt agree with my thinking.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Hi Brett,

I know it's just a numbers game at this point but that bullet zeroed at 100 yards is listed below using it's .357BC at 2595fps.

100 zero
    200 -4.8
    300 -17.3
    400 -39.5

I use the point blank range method for my 300gr load as listed in my earlier post.

100 +2.8
    200 +0.9
    300 -9.0

Max height will be 3" at 130 yards.
    Hmmm....I must be getting forgetful! It's been a few years, but not that many!

Brett

Hmmm....I must be getting forgetful! It's been a few years, but not that many!

Brett
    I know you're a straight up guy, must have been a long day at work...

I know you're a straight up guy, must have been a long day at work...
    Now I'm questioning if I had my rifle zeroed for 100 on my safari? I was hunting for buffalo, so I can't imagine I had it sighted in for long range??? I must be getting youngtimerz!!!

Brett

Now I'm questioning if I had my rifle zeroed for 100 on my safari? I was hunting for buffalo, so I can't imagine I had it sighted in for long range??? I must be getting youngtimerz!!!

Brett
    You're a lucky man to actually go over and hunt in Africa. From what I've read and heard a 100 yard zero on a Buff is the way to go.

You're a lucky man to actually go over and hunt in Africa. From what I've read and heard a 100 yard zero on a Buff is the way to go.
    It isn't cheap, but it isn't that expensive either. You could certainly hunt a cape buffalo for $15,000 all in (plane, hunt, trophy fees, shipping, and misc expenses) in Mozambique or Zimbabwe. Or a tuskless elephant hunt for $10-12,000 all in (plane, hunt, and misc expenses) in Zimbabwe. That's certainly something one could save for over 2,3,5,7 years. Do it! It's worth it! Just be prepared to want to go back as frequently as possible! I know I was "plotting" my next trip before I left Africa from the first one! Hopefully my next safari will see me chasing lion, but we'll see. Check out and join www.accuratereloading.com. It's a great place for closet and full blown Africaphiles!

Brett