Thread: DEER HUNT Montague RFI

Default DEER HUNT Montague RFI

I'd like to go the Montague this fall. Anyone have info on air charter folks they would recommend? Locations?

I have not hunted thier on the SE end since the logging, and used to enjoy log jam lake nellie juan and the FS cabins. Would fly out Seward.

Any intel would be appreciated! thanks!

As of last year there was nobody flying out of Seward to Montague. I had a reservation with Bear Lake air a couple years ago and he backed out on me. I don't know the current state of things with him, but my confidence is not high with his opperation. My frined that hunts the island almost every year flies out of Anchorage. Your other choices are flights from Homer that cost just as much as flying from Anchorage, or flights from Kenai/Soldotna. While I enjoyed my hunt on Montague, I can hunt Kodiak for very little more money and have a much better time. If I have airline miles to burn it actually ends up cheaper for me.

I've hunted out of Patton Bay on the S.E. end and stayed at the Beach River cabin. Most of the land surrounding many of the cabins is Chugach Native land and you will need a permit. http://www.chugach-ak.com/lands/Pages/default.aspx Dave Philips in their lands department is the guy to talk to. He's a good guy and will line you out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks good to know info. Who do you set up with in Kodiak? I shot my first deer there, last day of the season in 1971, out at Pasagshak.

Has anyone ever asked Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass if they'd fly to Montague? It wouldn't be too far of a run for them - certainly closer than Anchorage or Homer. I did a goat hunt with them this year and was impressed with their operation.

Natron Air out of soldotna does. 750 a person last i checked. I've flown with him twice. He is an excellent pilot and operation. He has a big plane and you are allowed alot of weight. I think he has a skyvan.

From what I gather, Montague is a loser for him most of the time. I know for sure both times Ive flown with him he burnt alot of gas and time to try and get me out and back. So I can certainly see what he means. The weather is generally cruddy and couple that with the short light and tide windows and its a pretty hard island to get too. So that i think is why you dont see pilots lining up to fly hunters out there. But its a neat place when you get there! Ive always gone to san juan bay. Only one cabin, its a nice one, and good hunting if the numbers are up.

Make sure you reserve a cabin if you go. I cant stress that enough. Tenting on Montague is an extreme sport and takes away from having a good time I think.

Thanks good to know info. Who do you set up with in Kodiak? I shot my first deer there, last day of the season in 1971, out at Pasagshak
    I flew with Seahawk Air in Kodiak. I chose a closer flight to save money, but my son got his first deer on that trip. We did an alpine hunt in August and it was fantastic. $1000 for the Beaver with 800# on board. For us it was two people and 400# of gear. We had a mega camp and had weight to spare. I'm pretty sure that $1500 will get you anywhere you want on Kodiak.

Default $1500

Will only get you flown IN on some of the southern parts of the island (on a beaver). You may be able to reach all parts of the island for under $1500 (one way), but last time I flew to Halibut Bay area (3 years ago) the price for a round trip was around $2100.
    That said, I've also done shorter trips - Kaludia Bay - that cost 4 of us under $250 apiece (r/t).
    Best bet is to call Seahawk Air & Andrew Air - both fly beavers - if you're only flying with under 800# - there might be some other carriers to check also.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Will only get you flown IN on some of the southern parts of the island (on a beaver). You may be able to reach all parts of the island for under $1500 (one way), but last time I flew to Halibut Bay area (3 years ago) the price for a round trip was around $2100.
    That said, I've also done shorter trips - Kaludia Bay - that cost 4 of us under $250 apiece (r/t).
    Best bet is to call Seahawk Air & Andrew Air - both fly beavers - if you're only flying with under 800# - there might be some other carriers to check also.
    Gary
    Seahawk is a one horse operation (the one horse is a thorough bred though) but Andrews also has a 206 which could save you some coin. I think Alaska_Lanche flew out w/ both of them this year so he may have some info on costs. We did 1 big load in and 2 small ones out w/ seahawk this year and the cost was reasonable.

Seahawk is one of the only opperations that seems to have different rates for different weights. $2100 to the end of Kodiak with three guys and gear is still a dang good price.

If you use a 206 to get to Montague you are going to have a tough time getting two guys, gear, and all your deer back home in one trip. I KNOW our flight home last time used a LOT of beach to get off...if you get what I'm sayin' That plane that Natron is using looks like it might be better, but they were booked the two times I tried to use them.

Default Ditto For Natron

Natron Air is real solid and I'd definitly fly with him again.

Buddy and I hunted out of beach river last fall, terrible weather and delayed getting out. Saw two total deer, shot one. Heard the place was "infested" with bears, but we didnt even see any sign.

from what i know youd probly have better luck hunting Knight Island and using a water taxi out of whittier to get you there...i think $500 per guy with all your gear and meat afterwards round trip but i could be wrong.

Release Lake Trout