Thread: Skinning Porcupines

Default Skinning Porcupines

Any tips for getting all the edible stuff out of a porky? Had a bit of trouble with my first one (bit messy) so just looking for some advice/tactics
    Thanks

not much there except the hind legs and backstrap. One thing to point out is that their guts are real hot (since they digest wood) so you need to clean them fairly soon after you get one. If you hang them by thier back leg and skin down from the ankels you should be able to get to the backstap and hind legs pretty easy.

What was the problem on the one you tried?

I have hear of people rolling them in a camp fire before skinning but on the one I did we just wore leather gloves and started from the belly. It seemed to work ok for us.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default gotta ask....

do they taste worth a darn? I always figgured that they would be really "woody" tasin....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

throw them on th ecampfire burn the quills off, they are natures smoked meat.
    Semper Fi!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

never mind.... found the other post explaining the "tastyness" of porkies...

I might have to give it a shot?!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio