Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for bait???

Default What do you use for bait???

Hi guys

I have been hunting and baiting bear since 1984. Just wondering what bait most of you are using. I have used donuts for some time. What other bait has been used with success.

Kirk

I've had great luck with sticking to the "norm".

If it's SWEET, they shall come

Dodgefan01

Thank you, That is true; they seemed to be in heaven.

Kirk

They sure did like it when i threw kettle corn out there, but boy is that stuff expensive!

I poured a couple of cans of Vanilla Coke on an old rotten stump a few years back, just for kicks. When I went back to check my bait a few days later, the stump was gone. I have been using Vanilla Coke as an attractant since. Give it a try.
    USN Seabee '90-'95, NRA Life Member

WOW! That's crazy, i wander if soaking wiks and hanging them would do the trick! It makes sense, awful syrupy and sweet, sticky when dry.

I know this may sound wierd but my wife brought it up when i was talking about honey burns....

Candles? Like the xmas cookie candles, etc..

I bet there is all kinds of things those bears would ride bikes for. This will be the first year I use Bait'ems hanging bait. Will see how it works. I would like to hear more ideas.

I cook at the site:

1 bag of marshmallows
    16 ozs of sryup
    1 box of jello (strawberry)
    1 pound of sugar

I heat this over a burn until everything is melted together. I then pour it over the donuts. This stuff is really sticky.

I know it sounded kinda off but it got some gears turnin'

Anyway, kirk, do you burn over sterno? Can i do this with my propane torch?

Default Multiple

If you plan to cook over sterno, be sure to use more than one... I'd consider three. Heats much faster.
    Or a camp stove that you have no intention of every using anywhere important again - it will get goo on it.
    I like using a paint can. You can buy a new one at Home Depot for a couple bucks.
    Any heat source will work. As long as you end up with about 9000 btu's. Yeah okay, 9000 is an arbitrary number.

Cool

I use a single stove top that screws on a propanr bottle. You can get them at Walmart. It makes it easy to carry. I use an old pot to cook in. When I get to the bait, I start the mix cooking and then tend to my game cameras. That is another topic. I build my own cameras and get all the camera supplies from WHITETAIL SUPPLY.

Kirk

Excellent. I think i may give this a try. Can't hurt i suppose

It is a great recipe. The game camera building is something I found to be very rewarding. The photos you get are priceless. These cameras are 6 mag quality. With a external battery, I can get up to 3800 pictures. Hard to believe, go on the WHITETAIL SUPPLY FORUM and check it out. I can leave my camera in the field and get sitka photos from may until august when I get back.

Maybe some more guys will tell us what they have used.

Kirk

Wow! That beats external batts for these other game cams (stealth cam). I plan to use mine starting around March. I got it as a gift last year but never got to use it.

Thanks for posting the recipe kirk, i appreciate it as some people tend to hold onto that kind of info.

Do you just let it cook the whole time? Problems with boiling over, etc?

I stir the mix often. Try not let it burn to the bottom. It will not boil over, if it does, get a larger pot. I use about a 4 quart pot. Try a mix or 2, before going into the woods. Everything needs to blend together and it will be a thick consistency. The smell is strong and will last though the rain because it is thick and sticky. I was told that some people are pouring this over dry dog food. I am not sure about the dog food but the donuts work great.

As far as the stealth cam goes; all those cameras can not even come close to this trail cam. This camera is the quality as the Recon; which is a 900.00 camera. If you want more info, you can call me.

Kirk

Thanks again kirk, i'll do some research through your links and shoot ya a PM!

Popcorn is a great bait. You can buy in bulk and its pretty cheap. Light to carry and keeps them at the bait for a while. Mix in syrup or one of the basic burn mixes, powdered kool-aid or something else sweet. They love it and will clean up every kernel. I like to start off with beaver carcasses or something good and stinky but they'll stick around once you get them on the popcorn.

I have tried the popcorn, your right. They love that stuff. Beaver carcasses work well, but I found that I take the beaver and cut it into stew meat size pieces. Then I put it in a mason jar for 3-4 months. This is what the trappers use. They call it tinted bait. The smell is strong and lasts a long time. Also a jar is very light to pack in. I will do more popcorn this year.

Thanks
    Kirk

cheap dry dog food with cheap maple syrup poured over it is top notch. Bakery products are great but hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    cheap dry dog food with cheap maple syrup poured over it is top notch. Bakery products are great but hard to come by.
    Not to mention pricey if you do find it

Bakery products are great, especially donuts. A lifetime ago baiting in Washington I worked near a wholesale bakery. I'd get all their day old stuff for free. Garbage cans full, what we didn't use for bait we had for breakfast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast