Thread: Baiting Info?

Default Baiting Info?

Im new to baiting. Im very excited i will finally get to do some hunting in Alaska but have a few questions. What is the best way to get the barrel to your site? Can you use ATVs? I was under the impression tht you cant use a ATV unless there was a certain amount of snow. Im in good shape been walking around the mountains in afghanistan for a year. So if i did have to carry everything i guess i could deal with it. Im glad to get home to the family and some more hunting. Ive been researching this site as much as possable, i want to thank everyone on here this is a very helpful site. Last thing ive heard and read on here that the bait from 907baitem is the place to go, is this so? Any info would be appriciated.

It really depends on where you go. You really should go out ahead of time to do your scouting (you know about that). You only have to be 1/4mi of any maintained road so hiking that may not be a big deal, just may take a few trips to do so. The other important aspect to keep in mind is that you have to be 1mi away from any homes or seasonal cabins, etc.

Most places on the interior, you can use wheelers to get to where you're going. I didn't have a wheeler the first time and still had luck. Of course, the farther back you go, may be better depending on your surroundings and when you want to hunt (spring/fall)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgefan01 View Post
    It really depends on where you go. You really should go out ahead of time to do your scouting (you know about that). You only have to be 1/4mi of any maintained road so hiking that may not be a big deal, just may take a few trips to do so. The other important aspect to keep in mind is that you have to be 1mi away from any homes or seasonal cabins, etc.

Most places on the interior, you can use wheelers to get to where you're going. I didn't have a wheeler the first time and still had luck. Of course, the farther back you go, may be better depending on your surroundings and when you want to hunt (spring/fall)
    Yeah i knew about the scouting, ill be back in anchorage in feb. Im gonna start then i was thinking up around glen allen area, but i want a place close to anchorage any ideas on this. I didnt know how hard it would be to find a place 1mile from a house in anc area. Im gonna go in the spring. Ive wanted to come to Alaska since i was young and love it her i have 2yrs left and am gonna try to do as much hunting and fishing as poss. I try at least once a week to talk my wife into staying in alaska but its to far from home she says. but anyway thanks for the info anymore will help.

Remember that in most areas around Anchorage you must have attended the bear baiting clinic. There's also a lot of bait sites around the area. Fish and Game on Raspberry usually has a map with all the registered bait sites. Given that, the farther you walk in the less bait sites there are. I've used 5 gallon buckets wired to trees instead of the 55 gallon drums. Worked but it requires more frequent bait checks. If you can get a plastic 55 gallon drum, they are lighter if you have to drag it in. That can be done at the end of winter so there's snow to drag it on. There's a whole bunch of stuff to think about.
    Thanks for the service. I'm retired (AF) so if you want to discuss, pm me.

Thanks for your service Bill, you too lee. I'm currently active AF on Elmo. Like Bill said, make sure you get your clinic out of the way. I took a one night class down at Rabbit Creek. You can also go online and knock it out. I take a sled in with me to help transport material to and from my bait site. I may have access to a 4wheeler this year to help. Just be aware of your surroundings and deff. check at ADF&G for updates on bait sites ( i think i posted that in diff thread).

Default baiting

Yeah i took the online test already i got that knocked out. Yeah any help would be awesome. Im gonna start scouting Around the end of feb. Ill get leave in march and im not going home which brings me to another question. In unit 13 there is open season, so when would be a good time to go? Like when the snow starts melting? I was thinking of taking off for 5 days and doing some hunting up there at the end of april. If you get around to it in feb pm me.

Default Close to Anchortown

As previously pointed out, you 'probably' need a bear bait clinic to register a bait station if you plan to hunt close to Anchorage.

You can do the entire thing on-line:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearbaiting.main

It's pretty simple, a bit of reading might be necessary. When you take the test/quiz be sure to have the regs handy, and you'll do fine.

I took a classroom clinic in 2002, and took the on-line clinic last year (for the heck of it). Other than the chance to talk to real people, I honestly couldn't tell an advantage of either clinic.

Scout early.
    Start with Google Earth or even Google Maps.
    Trouble is... what looks good from a low earth orbit satellite photo, turns into something completely different in person. And if there is considerable snow fall, the terrain may change again as the snow melts.
    For example: Scouting one year, lots of snow, great site, easy to hike in with snowshoes, turned into a spooky walk through 8-10 foot tall alders and devils club. All of it was bent over and buried by the snow.

I wish it was standard procedure for ADF&G to tell you that you are registering a site within a quarter mile of another site. Not that it is illegal to bait close to another site (anymore), but you may get a feel for density of hunters.
    The old map board at the main office with push pins was nice - you could tell if the area was congested.

When you go to register your site(s), be sure to ask "Is anyone close by?" They probably won't show you the map, but might let you know proximity.
    Also be sure to ask about proximity to the road and buildings. They can't give you a definitive 'legal' but can let you know if their data shows anything that might be questionable.
    Finally, ask for the number to the local trooper; give him/her a call. They can help you with the building part of the site. Odds are they know where most are, and aren't.
    I gotta tell ya, the hardest part of a decent site, is the 1 square mile search around your potential site. And water doesn't count as a buffer.

Wow, that go long. Sorry.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    As previously pointed out, you 'probably' need a bear bait clinic to register a bait station if you plan to hunt close to Anchorage.

You can do the entire thing on-line:
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearbaiting.main

It's pretty simple, a bit of reading might be necessary. When you take the test/quiz be sure to have the regs handy, and you'll do fine.

I took a classroom clinic in 2002, and took the on-line clinic last year (for the heck of it). Other than the chance to talk to real people, I honestly couldn't tell an advantage of either clinic.

Scout early.
    Start with Google Earth or even Google Maps.
    Trouble is... what looks good from a low earth orbit satellite photo, turns into something completely different in person. And if there is considerable snow fall, the terrain may change again as the snow melts.
    For example: Scouting one year, lots of snow, great site, easy to hike in with snowshoes, turned into a spooky walk through 8-10 foot tall alders and devils club. All of it was bent over and buried by the snow.

I wish it was standard procedure for ADF&G to tell you that you are registering a site within a quarter mile of another site. Not that it is illegal to bait close to another site (anymore), but you may get a feel for density of hunters.
    The old map board at the main office with push pins was nice - you could tell if the area was congested.

When you go to register your site(s), be sure to ask "Is anyone close by?" They probably won't show you the map, but might let you know proximity.
    Also be sure to ask about proximity to the road and buildings. They can't give you a definitive 'legal' but can let you know if their data shows anything that might be questionable.
    Finally, ask for the number to the local trooper; give him/her a call. They can help you with the building part of the site. Odds are they know where most are, and aren't.
    I gotta tell ya, the hardest part of a decent site, is the 1 square mile search around your potential site. And water doesn't count as a buffer.

Wow, that go long. Sorry.

Good luck!
    thanks! yeah i was expecting some walking...no big deal. Are Valleys, creeks, thicks woods or ridges good or a combo of all?

Default When to hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by lee27 View Post
    Yeah i took the online test already i got that knocked out. Yeah any help would be awesome. Im gonna start scouting Around the end of feb. Ill get leave in march and im not going home which brings me to another question. In unit 13 there is open season, so when would be a good time to go? Like when the snow starts melting? I was thinking of taking off for 5 days and doing some hunting up there at the end of april. If you get around to it in feb pm me.
    Good on ya getting the clinic knocked out.

Alaskan springs vary. I don't know a better way to put it. Some springs come nice and early. Other's wait until nearly June.
    Snowfall dictates how early the bears come out. Temperature dictates how early the bears come out.
    Gotta tell ya... once you've narrowed down your bait site, this little document is a pearl to help answer your 'when' questions based upon stats:

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/techpubs/mgt_rpts/08_blb.pdf

For example, in Area 13... over a study from 2001-2007, only 4 bears were harvested in April. Whereas, that same period resulted in 217 bears in May, 224 in June, and 17 in July.

A quick glance at the regs will indicate the reason for lower numbers in April and July. Baiting opens April 15 and closes June 15 (for the period reported - last year they changed the closure to June 30). See page 30.

Good luck!

Try a combo of ALL, and bring a machete! Take out the devils club EARLY! It will eat your legs up. Dress in layers and don't forget your THERMACELL. You'll take out a few pope/young mosquitos while you're out!!

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by lee27 View Post
    thanks! yeah i was expecting some walking...no big deal. Are Valleys, creeks, thicks woods or ridges good or a combo of all?
    True, Yes, and that.

I bumped into a couple buying bear bait stuff. They were older than I, and began offering advice. So, I tried to listen.

One thing that stuck in my mind.

When you pick a site, ask yourself one question. Do you feel comfortable? Can you eat your lunch with reasonable peace? Could you see a big brownie come in on ya? If say "yes", then you probably have a good place to feed bears.

Elevated, near water, with good open areas to the site.

Default baiting

Thanks for the link. I dont have much to do all summer so ill probly be hunting.