Thread: Kodiak Butt Charters?

Default Kodiak Butt Charters?

Headed back to Kodiak Sept 12 and looking for a Halibut & Ling Cod charter? Prefer a captain who likes to jig, vs lead and bait. Fishing the road for a week, so salmon is not necessary. Does anyone have a recommendation on who to call? Going as a single, so small or large boat doesn't matter. Looking just for a safe ride and pole bending to fill the fridge.

Chazman Charters. He specializes in jigging, knows his way around, and is safer than safe. Haven't fished with him myself, but I know lots of happy long-time customers. He's a character, too.

Chaz is good. I would also look up John Parker. Always saw John with big yelloweye and lings.

Thanks, is John with Kodiak King Busters, has anyone heard of Ken Runamuck? Does not look like any of them have web site.

Default Runamuck

Kenny knows his way around and is quite productive. I've pulled a plethera of species with him. Kenny is low-key, and strictly into the harvest.

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Kodiak Combos

I would give Jeff @ Kodiak Combos a call. He posts here often and seems to get on to the fish very well. I am not sure what stlye of fishing he does for lings and halibut but it does seem to be effective.

Chuck

Kingbusters Charters, John Parker, one in the same.

I would contact Shaw at Woodland Charter. He has a shiny new boat this year with twin 300 Suzuki's, and is an owner operator. I think out of Kodiak it is relatively easy to get the fish, so you are best off with someone willing to work with you to get you what you want. I think if you can bring more people or be flexible on what day you go you will get the best results.

http://www.woodlandlodging.com/charters.htm
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Ken Newman of Runnamuck is great. I've gone out with him a number of times dating back to the late 90's. Back then he had a different boat and he only targetted bottom fish, but after buying a new boat (don't remember what year), he expanded to targetting everything.

He used to use lead and bait a lot, but I know he fully appreciates the value of a jig because he's used them. He's never told me this, but I suspect putting jigs in customer's hands can be a bit more risky from the point of loosing $$ gear if the clients don't know what they are doing. Plus they have to know the right technique to fish the jigs and then land a fish with them. I like using jigs too, but I've also lost more of them from friends or family getting snagged on the bottom. Plus, a fish won't throw a circle hook like a fish can throw a jig. If you tell the captn that you are experienced using jigs, you'll probably make him smile.

Ken know's the area out of Anton Larsen and over in Wale Pass and Wale Island area very well from when he operated his old (much slower) boat out of Anton Larsen. He runs out of Kodiak City harbor now, and he can go out off Chiniak and other spots "quickly" accessed from the city. But if fishing gets slow out of Kodiak, he can drive the boat around to the Wale Pass area and hit all his old holes too.

Also agree with the positive comments about Chaz. As I said in another thread running right now, I've been out with Chaz too. Arranged to have my visiting parents and I go out with him the first year he had his new boat, and we limited on silvers and butt. Didn't catch any Ling, but we didn't ask to either. That comes back to telling the captn what you want before hiring him, which will help prevent a disappointing trip. Ask them both about how they care for fish after they are caught, where do they store the fish, are the fish on ice, are the fish in an open tote or closed lid, and who cleans the fish. I believe you'll find variations in their practices, which may be important to you.

I'm sure Chaz and Ken would do their very best to make your trip good, but keep in mind, as a single you will be subject to what the others in the boat want to do......unless you buy the boat. If you want to buy the boat, you need to make your mind up earlier to find days on the sked when the boat is completely open. That's what I did when my parents and I went out with Chaz. Right now isn't too early.

If you don't buy the boat, both guys will run out with 4 to 6 people per trip, and the other clients may want to get salmon, which means the captn will have to compromise the day's events. If you are outnumbered 3 or 5:1, you will have less influence on what the boat will target. You should still be able to jig while they target butt. He may just have to put you in a spot on the boat that'll allow your jig to drift away from the others if they are using lead and bait (more common method for new fisherman). Then you could jig without getting tangled up in the other's rigs.....provided they listen and bounce their bait on the bottom. That location if you're anchored isn't a bad thing because it'll put you on the stern, and your jig will be the first encountered by fish coming up current.

A lot of stuff the captn has to think about, and if you know these things, you can make better choices.

Sorry this became longer than expected, but it was easy to tell you stuff while watching football playoffs.

Thanks for all the info provided, as always this forum is good source. Just got off the phone with Ken and reading your post. Seems that Ken or Chaz are a good fit. I will follow up the the captains a little closer to my trip to see who can squeeze me in.
    I understand the flexibility being a single , just want have the best opportunity if the chance to jig comes up.

I had a good time with Kenny. I was a single & fished with a 2 sets of locals. He even stayed out a bit longer so that we could get good limits. Would use him next time I'm back in on the Rock

Kenny of Runnamuck is a fine skipper. Trust his expertise.

As well, but not experienced by me, is a lot of good input I have heard about U-Rascal.

I double down in 2011 and make Kodiak for the vernal equinox and then later for the August/September split for a USCG retirement of my adopted AK Brother. Then it's on to the End of the Road for assignments on the lower Kenai as I mine silver salmon.

Tear 'em up, Col. I'm not too bad for a Florida squirt that does not live there, but certainly has Alaska in his heart...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"