Thread: Air Taxi's Quality For the Price

Default Air Taxi's Quality For the Price

Hey folks, I am making contact with every Air Taxi i can find in Alaska to get feelers out for a fly in Sheep hunt. Can any of you tell me about your experiences with Circle Air,Kirk Ellis, Copper Valley Air, Yukon Air, Coyote Air, Brooks Range Air, Wrights Air or anyone i havent listed. You can PM me if you preferr.
    Thank you in advance, trying to do my research.

To alleviate the Air Service bashing, PM me if you'd like, I flew with "Frenchie" on Circle Air in 2008.

Question Define Quality?

T11R17,

Define quality.
    Every air support service you mentioned routinely takes off, flies, and lands without remarkable incidents.
    To me, that is quality service.
    And you?

Just my style/opinion...but...
    I would invest my time researching the "quality" of the sheep hunting in different areas, then contract the appropriate air support service working that specific area.

Dennis

But...Coyote/Dirk is great and knows every Brooks Range landing strip where a Beaver-on-wheels can operate, but air time in a Beaver gets expensive...

And...Kirk Ellis, if he is again flying drop-off hunters, is absolutely-positively a very fine person who has been flying his super-cub-on-wheels in that northern Wrangell country for about 40 quality years.

i too would be more interested in the sheep area than the pilot. if he gets me there and gets me out on time and ain't a jerk and theres sheep..i'm good.

but if its a great air taxi and they give me mints and flys me around just to stare at stuff but theres no sheep where i picked...i'm not so good.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I've flown for sheep with four of the folks you mentioned as well as Meekins. They all did what I paid them to do.

Alaska Bush out of Talkeetna are awesome. Jason is an exceptional pilot and a great guy.

jason is a great pilot..but they don't have much for access to sheep areas over there, the ones they do are hit pretty hard by guides, i know they flew over a dozen guys into one lake in the talkeetnas last year.
    not sure about the AK range side.
    but they are all on floats too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    jason is a great pilot..but they don't have much for access to sheep areas over there, the ones they do are hit pretty hard by guides, i know they flew over a dozen guys into one lake in the talkeetnas last year.
    not sure about the AK range side.
    but they are all on floats too.

Not to get off the subject but, when I got my sheep sealed in Palmer this past season, two days prior a hunter checked in and got his 42" ram sealed....and guess where it came out of?........................thats right, the Talkeetnas, I was told!!! I could not believe it, I thought all you veteran sheephunters said there were no big rams in there? Just wondering if anyone else knew of this......I'm gonna admit, my heart did sink a little.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Off topic

To stay off topic...there is always a nice ram or two taken out of the Talkeetnas, just not very many 'cause it is hit so hard. I have a couple buddies that took two rams that were under 8 years old this year, one was double broomed and the other was well past full curl- those sheep get to be 10 or 11 and they are easily 40+ inch sheep- problem is they get picked off before they are prime...can anyone say permit? I am reasonably young and have seen local areas go to crap over the last 15 years because of local/guided pressure, it is better for the resource to go to draw, period. IMO of course...