Thread: Bears in TOK area

Default Bears in TOK area

So does any one else hunt the TOK area for bears? would like to hear about your past succsess in the area.
    Thanks

Default Tok bears

I could tell you some...but wait...you already know all of my stories!!

yea Joe need some new stories for the valdez are now

Default Brownie

I had a little run in with a browie last summer. He bluff charged twice before standing on my 4 wheeler and barking dogs convinced him to go the other way. He was unhappy about me coming up on his calf moose kill. I didn't know it till it was too late. Thankfully all ended well, but I had a good case of the heebeegeebees the rest of the day.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default Tok Bear Hunting

RKeyser,
    There's a lot of grizz down that way which makes black bear hunting tough, but more importantly, most of the land is posted by the native corporations. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the cost, effort and time unless you're going up the Taylor for grizz. Just my opinion though.

Shannon

Default i agree with shannon's post below

the taylor highway is what i would suggest as well.

of course knowing the land status can keep you out of jail and keep your money in your pocket, that kind of goes without saying. every ethical hunter does do diligence in knowing the rules. having said that-

i have always thought that a great preditor/scavenger hunting opportunity could and should be had in the aftermath of a hunting like the caribou hunts in places like chicken ridge. when you consider the number of animals harvested and the carcases left behind it only stands to reason.

perhaps if you have had the expericene of being at the chicken ridge hunt when the dirt access parking lots have the same number of vehicles as a walmart store, and all the animals that are havested in that area in a relatively short time you will agree that imediately fallowing would be a clean up if you will.

maybe 5 years ago i was asking an area local about that very prosept but all he would tell me is everybody goes to the dump there to shoot they're bears, it's great and all that. and of course you and i both know that is soooooo illegal. and also just down right wrong! what a nice photo that would make, and just think of the memories you would have even if you didn't get busted.

anyway to stay on track if your looking at tok, going up the taylor highway is what i suggest- same as shannon. i have seen bears black and brown in the area below tok also..... i can remember the river basin name, but it is a large area maybe 30 miles south on the highway twoards glen allen. some go in at that point and run wheelers along a mountain ridge that begins there, and they go west, and south west along that ridge.
    and i am talking several miles it goes, but i never done the trip myself, just see hunters and i am relaying to you what i heard from them. also i did see a black bear that was brown in color, but was told from game management in tok that black bears with brown hides do occur there more than most would think which i found very interesting.

anyway if you have a wheeler good bear numbers in both of these area's

if your looking for spring bears i don't know the area. if your looking fall bear, i strongly suggest the taylor highway as the better of the two areas. and more specifically, at some point right after the big bou hunt closure. i think you will have a great chance for bear or wolves, or other. maybe wolverine. wouldn't that be nice

from my understanding of the laws, it is not illegal to hunt off of a kill site, so long as you don't alter it in anyway. or don't harass the animal, or chase it with your wheeler, ect.

just common sense stuff, you know. and not that i think you would do anything of the sort. those comments are for others who may read this post.

good luck and be safe,....and if you do see hunter being unethical please turn they're asses in. they give the rest of us a bad name

Unhappy whoops, i'm kinda new to this.....

didn't realize this was posted in bear baiting section.

please excuse me while i pull my head out and slip away quitely

My Tok area Blondie....