Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help a beginner out

Unhappy help a beginner out

Hi, i joined the coast guard and am now stationed in Juneau, Alaska. I know nothing of what to buy. I will be fishing in rivers/streams no more than 10 feet deep for salmon. I need to know what type of rod/reel/bait to use, i will be on foot walking along streams. Thanks.

If you are fishing for Steelheads and Silvers I would use an 8 or 9 wt fly rod. Egg sucking leeches work great. Any type of egg pattern or leech pattern. I like using the versatip fly line, because it is so universal for all types of water currents. If you are drift fishing you will want a good spinning or bait casting rod rated for 15 to 20 lb test. Corkies work well for all types of salmon. As well as vibrax's or pixee's in various sizes. Trial and error will be your best friend. I fish in the Southcentral area so I do not know much of the Juneau area, but I would imagine salmon fishing is salmon fishing.

If you can, could you post a link to a website with pieces of the gear? I have been trying to research the types of poles and cannot decide what to get. it seems they break down into certain categories, spinning, spinbaiting, casting ect. ect. I dont know what i should get for my situation, could you explain the best types for me please?

For everything other than Kings I use a G-Loomis GL2 bait casting model STR1025C / 8'6" Med-Heavy Fast Action rod with a 5500 Ambassdor reel with 15lb test line. For Kings I use a G-Loomis GL2 bait casting model SAR1084C 8' Heavy Moderate Action with a 6600 Ambassdor reel with 30lb test. My weapon of choice for silvers and reds is a G-Loomis GL2 model FR1089 9' 9WT fly rod. For Kings I prefer something a little heavier G-Loomis GL3 model FR 10812 9' 12 WT fly rod. I prefer the Loomis rod. You can go to http://www.gloomis.com/ to get some research on the rods. You can also to a google search on Sage, or whatever type of rod you are interested in. I do not like to suggest rods because everyone is different and everyone has there own likes. You will want to check out different rods and see what you like or works for you best. As far as tackle you can not go wrong with a #4 Vibrax. I also typically use a size 6 corky depending on the clarity of the water I may drop down to a size 8 or 10. Hook sizes very depending on the regulations. You will want to see if the rivers you are fishing has a hook restriction on size. I speak of pixee's last because I do carry them in my arsenal, but if I'm using one, fishing is really bad and I have thrown every fly and lure in my box. Just a personal thing.

I'd go with an 8 wt fly rod. Sign up for the summer fly fishing class at UAS, you won't be sorry, Ron is a great guy. As a plus he'll show you all the good spots in Juneau and get you pro deal on orvis rods.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Kaveman mentions two of my favorite lures....I have probably caught more salmon on a Pixee than any other lure in the salt-casting from shore-and in rivers. My number two is the vibrax - assorted sizes and, if you are in a fresh water stream that allows bait a spin and glo with egg cluster is often deadly! Juneau has great fishing off the beaches when the salmon runs come through and I would bet your shipmates have them all figured out! Best of luck and welcome to Alaska -

thanks for all the replies, one more question: What are the fish availabilities and times to fish for trout/salmon? Im guessing i wont catch anything at this time of year, correct?

Default Evanisthecoastie is a beginner

I have to mention something about this, Evanisthecoastie is a complete beginner on this and those awesome rods you guys are mentioning (I love G-Loomis too, although Sage is what I use though), they are probably out of the price range of a coastie, as I was once a squid I remember what the salaries are like, and starting with buying 500 or 600 dollar rods as a beginner fisherman is asking a lot. If I were a beginner like that I would simply go get an Ugly Stik Salmon spinning rod and a good Penn 6500 spinning salmon reel. That setup is versatile, effective, affordable, easy to use, exremely tough, and great for beginners. I take lots of beginners fishing, and there is no way I would put a 500 dollar fly rod in the hands of a beginner, let alone tell them they should go buy one. I almost always let them use Ugly Stik rods and a tough spin reel like a Penn, and they love it. Just my opinion on that Evanisthecoastie, good luck.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

i was beginning to think i should get the ugly stik after i saw prices on those other rods. I found one on ebay and would like to know if it will be good to use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UGLY-STIK-7-Bigw...QQcmdZViewItem

also, do you know the best time to go out for salmon/trout? Is december too early or anything?

Default ebay rod and reel

I would double check cabelas or bass pro before buying off ebay. Sometimes ebay is higher than these two stores. Just a thought

Good point...I have a couple of ugly sticks that have been through years of nephews and other lil guys learning to fish.....stepping on rods, hitting on the side of the boat and all the other terrible things that happen to rods....and they don't break. Not implying you are a kid......just that an ugly stick will take a lot of abuse, is reasonably priced and works very well....they make spinning, bait casting and - really - fly rods! You might check out walmart.com for prices as well. I would also think the exchange at Kodiak or Elmendorf has some good deals-maybe someone going TAD could pick up for you. I grew up in Juneau but that was a lot of years ago. I just remember some great times fishing-mostly in the salt. Best of luck and enjoy your tour.

Look up Steve Hohensee and ask for Luke Woodruff. He's a fishing guide in the area and a buddies of Steve's. Good guy he'll set you right.

Yep, I agree on the Ugly stick. Look at the "inshore" line of rods. If you want to do anyocean casting from shore look for a longer rod, but if you really are going to stick with just stream fishing, then stick with a shorter rod. You'll want a med-heavy to heavy action rod depending on what you are targeting. If you really aren't sure what you will be fishing for and want an all around great rod, go with an 8'6" Ugly Stick Lite, heavy action. That will work for everything from smaller rockfish and flounder up to kings. It is short enough that it should not be any problem wading in streams and long enough to get your casts out there on the coast.

CAS 1186-2H* 8'6" 2 G H 12-30 1/4-1 8 + Tip http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/p...gly-lite.shtml

Back in Eagle River - For good this time!

Default Can't go wrong with going ugly!

That old saying about "going ugly early" applies to salmon fishing too! The Ugly Stik Lites are tough, affordable and almost everyone has used one at one point or another. I like the feel of the 8'6" Heavy action a little better than the Med-Heavy and though I have a Daiwa on my mine, I agree that the Penn Reels are the toughest affordable reels out there. Once you've had some time on the water and can see what other guys are using and what you like and don't like, then think about the more expensive gear but I can tell you a did a three year tour up at Elmo a couple years back and whether it was reds, silvers or kings, the Ugly Stik handled them all. Best wishes to you!

ERR

Sorry I'd have to disagree with the ugly sticks. They are nice in one aspect, they are tough to break and the other, they'll replace them for free. They don't however have much for good hook setting capablities imho.

I prefer the Lamiglass Kenai guide (model has since changed names) or the Kenai King.

The king would be perfect for salt water and fresh water use. The guide would be a great all around rod, though a little light for the salt it works just fine. They do cost more and they do have the same great warrenty! Just better rods IMHO! Buy it once and be done with it.

Both of mine are bait casters with a abu garcia 6501 (a true right hand retreive baitcaster). Has plenty of line for river and salt water fishing. If you don't like where the handle is at get the 6500.

ok, i bought an ugly stik with a prius reel, i really have no idea how to spool the line onto it, my attempt at it left it uncoiling too fast, any tutorials on how to do it for complete beginners?

Run a pencil through the filler spool. With socks on, hold the pencil with your toes on both sides of the spool and put a little drag on the spool, about equal to what you'd feel retrieving a lure. Don't try it without socks, you'll roast your toes from the friction on the spool.

I should have added that once I rig the filler spool and hold it with my toes I fill the reel while it's attached to the rod with the line fed through the lowest guide on the rod. This assures the line is going onto the reel at the same angle as when you're fishing.

Coastie, if you work in the Federal building come on up to 831B, go staight to the windows and knock on the cubie with the helicopter poster on the wall. Will talk to you about what I've found in the last five years in Juneau..

Quote Originally Posted by evanisthecoastie View Post
    thanks for all the replies, one more question: What are the fish availabilities and times to fish for trout/salmon? Im guessing i wont catch anything at this time of year, correct?
    Fishing won't get decent in Juneau untill mid to late april when there will be a few kings and lots of dollies and cutts. I live in Juneau for most of the year and this spring if my car doesn't get totaled I'm gonna do a LOT of fishing. Sign up for the spring flyfishing class! Its on thursday nights starting in late march! Kings will show up in June in fish creek pond and at DIPAC, then in July there will be pinks and chums everywhere that will last till september when silvers trickle in (slowly).
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast