Thread: Shipping Meat back to the lower 48

Default Shipping Meat back to the lower 48

I'm moose hunting in Alaska for the first time in 2011. I'm used to driving to
    the state that I hunt and hauling the meat home in my pickup. I'm certain that
    the cost of air freight will be expensive. That's all right with me I've never had
    moose, I've eaten lots of elk meat, and everyone says moose is better. I'd like
    to get it cut and wrapped in Fairbanks and flown to Seattle.

My question is: Is there anyone out there with experience in shipping moose
    meat by air? A really big bull elk I killed in Wyoming produced approximately
    300 lbs of cut and wrapped meat, I'm guessing a moose would generate twice
    that amount ?

I haven't done it, but my understanding is that the best way to ship large quantities of meat is through Alaska Air Cargo. You need to become a "known shipper" with AK Air before your trip. As a known shipper, apparently it is quite simple to ship meat with them and much more reasonable than doing so through other means. There are a number of folks on here that have done just that, so I'm sure they'll chime in.

Good on you for thinking this far ahead about how you'll take care of the meat.

I am currently doing research on opening a expediting service here in the Fairbanks North Pole area. I anticipate opening the expediting service end by April 2010. I have done a lot of pricing and marketing research on this. Feel free to drop my a call, I would be more than happy to give you some tips. I am stuck on finding a reputable butcher shop that will take the extra work, I just my have to open one of them also. So much for a new studio this year.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I killed a large bull moose & had it flown into McGrath to be processed,i believe processing was aprox $300+ & the shipping an additional cost but i cant seem to remember the amount, i donated the majority of the meat & had the processor send me aprox 70 lbs by way of Fed Express, my main concern was that i took extreeme care to keep the meat clean & properly cared for everything was in gamebags & tagged with my name & address but the processor went through & cut off tags & just hung the qtrs along with everyone elses so i asked how do you know who's meat is who's & he said " i just grab the 1st customers card w/cut directions & randomly grab any qtr & start processing" needless to say im pretty sure i didnt recieve my moose meat nor do i know if the donated portion made it to where it was intended for, hopefully if your sucessful you wont run into this problem with your processor. As for shipping meat back to the lower 48 i would suggest getting price quotes for the amount of weight you anticipate to ship from UPS,FED-X & any other shipping co. & make arangements for your processed meat to be picked up by the shipping co & that you are notified when it's done & also to double check the amount your billed is the amount you are quoted, my moose cape & horns were suposed to be aprox $175 but was billed $300 on delivery by FedX because they said my crate was fragile since it contained horns & if i chose to argue the amount billed i could refuse the delivery & file a grievence,well i wasnt about to let them lose my 63" horns & cape so i paid it but had a heated discussion with the Nice Lady at FED-X, this was in addition to the almost $1000.00 i was charged by D&C Expiditors to fly the cape & horns from Anchorage to Montana, my trip was very memorable & something i will never forget but the hidden costs & expences really stung in the pocket book.

Just a few pointers, Bring your own game bags that way you know you have them, fly's are a big concern. I donated all my meat, I was going to bring 50 pounds home as extra luggage, but had to fly out early due to the bush service company. Good thing I left the 50pounds behind due to that I had to fly standby and my luggage followed 12hours later.Moose meat is very good eating in my opion it is the best out of all deer species.

I priced bringing my meat home before my trip and it was very expensive, 5 to 7 dollars a pound, a guy paid 1500 two years earlier to get his back.
    Also the shipping of your rack and hide, like Predatorhuntr01 said that is a extra 1200 give or take a couple hundred.

If money is not a issue than by all means bring it home, it is way better than elk. Good luck on your hunt, 2011 will be here in no time!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Shippping meat

Hi, a few years ago 2 brother friends of mine came up from Minn..They drove up and had constructed a foam lined box for the pickup truck. After having their 61" bull processed in Soldotna and quick frozen they packed up and drove pretty non stop to home. #+ days later they arrived with the meat still frozen. A huge savings was had. Don't know if driving up is an option for you but think about it.. Good luck.

If you're hunting out of Fairbanks I would recommend you take your meat to Delta Meat and Sausage for processing. I believe they can also handle the shipping, but call them and check.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

We come up in 2006 on a fishing trip and shipped our luggage back by UPS and brought our fish back on the plane insted of our luggage. I shipped one cardboard rod tube, and one large suitcase back and it cost me about $175-$200. That might be an option for you to think about.

Default moose weight

A bull I shot last year yielded 648 lbs of meat (hind quarters on the bone). Hope this helps.

Default Thanks

All of your responses have been very helpful. I spoke
    with Delta meats and it sounds like they can handle all
    of my meat issues.

If I'm lucky and shoot a trophy bull, then I plan on doing
    a European mount. I hear that the skull needs to be process
    prior to shipping. So this will mean using a taxidermist in
    Alaska.

So if my math is correct, the cost of shipping the meat will be
    about $4200- $5000 and the antlers will be another $1300 - $1500.

I'd rather know all of this now, instead of the day I get back in
    from the bush.

Thanks !!!

Just a word of caution. IMHO Delta meats is hands down the best meat processor in the interior. Unlike other processors in the area once they take in all they can process, they WILL NOT TAKE IN MORE. I tried to take them a moose on the last day of the season and they would not take it until they made room. Delta Meats is the place to go here and gets flooded with both moose and caribou. So try to get out of the field and to them as soon as you can. The year I tried to drop off my moose it was a 4 day wait before they could take it. The temps were in the 70s and the meat was 7 days old already, had to take it to a different processor in Fairbanks. Won't name the company here but I will NEVER have anything my family eats processed in Fairbanks. What I am saying is have a PLAN B.
    I have however, had great luck transporting meat on the airlines as baggage. I use softsided insulated cooler bags and pack them to 50lbs of frozen meat. We have had these type bags lost for 24hrs and the meat was still soft frozen. Take the meat as baggage and ship your clothes home USPS.

You might check with the Fairbanks tannery, I believe they will do your euro mount for you, I saw them boiling skulls last year when I had them tan my Caribou Antlers that were still in velvet.

Just keep in mind that when the seasons ends everybody and their brother is trying to do the same thing at the same time. One local processor last year had moose rotting at their site. You are doing the right thing by planning ahead.

FYI, The Fairbanks food bank accepts donations of clean edible game meat. Just drop off your meat and complete the transfer form in the back of the regs. I donated some caribou there last year. They grind it all and distribute it to the needy.

Hope you have a hunt of a lifetime.

Steve