Thread: 350RM/35 Whelen heavy loads

Default 350RM/35 Whelen heavy loads

Looking for anyone's pet loads and experience with 250+ grain loads in either caliber. Would really like to hear from anyone who has used the 280gr. Swift A-Frame or 310gr. Woodleigh, but any help is appreciated...

Currently using the 225gr. Barnes TSX at about 2700fps. but have the itch to try something heavier.

Default Imho

Having had experience with the 350 Rem Mag and even more with the 35 Whelen, I personally don't see any reason to go heavier than 250 grs. I have found that the combination of those cartridges with a 250gr. bullet strike a good balance of weight/velocity with excellent penetration possible. While you can get more velocity, though not as much as you might think, from the 350 Rem Mag, I think these cartridges do best with 250 gr. bullets at a "reasonable" velocity. I ran my 350 Rem mag 250 grain loads at about 2550fps and my Whelens at 2400fps. Now I know that people push the envelope and ramp up velocity, but I don't believe it is necessary for very good terminal performance. I did very little testing with the 225 gr. bullets available. My Whelen didn't like them, and I saw them as a neither this nor that bullet weight.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Looking for anyone's pet loads and experience with 250+ grain loads in either caliber. Would really like to hear from anyone who has used the 280gr. Swift A-Frame or 310gr. Woodleigh, but any help is appreciated...

Currently using the 225gr. Barnes TSX at about 2700fps. but have the itch to try something heavier.
    In the 35 Whelen I used the 250 Speer Hot-Cor with IMR 4320 & 4064 for years, but since it has been available I haven't found a better combination for velocity & accuracy that RL 15 and normally push 250s around 2500 or a bit more from a 24 inch barrel. I have killed deer with the 225 Nosler BT (no longer available) the Sierra 225 GK and the 220 Speer Hot-Cor FP, and while they would work fine on smaller big game, I'd rather have the 250 and keep things simple. I agree with MB concerning the heavier weight bullets in the Whelen, the 250s work so good I just can't see an advantage with 275+ bullets.

The current load I'm working on is a 250 A-Frame in front of 54.5 RL-15. With 54.0, I was getting good groups at about 2350 FPS. I'll try to shoot it next weekend to see how the extra half a grain does.

I had no luck in accuracy with a Nosler AB 225. I have a box of 310 Woodleighs laying here, not sure if I really want to mess with them anytime soon.

FWIW, my Ruger Hawkeye was advertised as a 1/16 twist barrel. I was cleaning it a few weeks ago and measured 1/12. I'm thinking my accuracy may be better with the longer bullets.

Thanks for the replies guys...I do appreciate it.

For the record my rifle is a Ruger M77 Mk.II All-Weather in .350 Remington Magnum. It has a 1 in 12" twist.

My current load as mentioned above is a 225gr. TSX over a 57.1gr. of Hodgdon Benchmark at 2690fps. With Ramshot TAC the book lists 2764fps.

While perusing the internet I found that the 280gr. A-Frame was only .025" longer than my TSX so it got me thinking about that it might make an intriguing loading with its .288 S.D. figured that somewhere in the vicinity of 2500 fps might be possible.

I have a pound of TAC laying around... what kind of accuracy are you getting with it? I've stuck to RL-15 because everyone else on the web says it's the cat's meow for the Whelen.

have you checked out 35cal.com? There's a plethora of information there.

http://35cal.com/loading.html#77

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    The current load I'm working on is a 250 A-Frame in front of 54.5 RL-15. With 54.0, I was getting good groups at about 2350 FPS. I'll try to shoot it next weekend to see how the extra half a grain does.

I had no luck in accuracy with a Nosler AB 225. I have a box of 310 Woodleighs laying here, not sure if I really want to mess with them anytime soon.

FWIW, my Ruger Hawkeye was advertised as a 1/16 twist barrel. I was cleaning it a few weeks ago and measured 1/12. I'm thinking my accuracy may be better with the longer bullets.
    I beleive rugers was faster than the remingtons 1:16 twist seem like it was 1:12 because it was faster than my 1:14 358win which I hope to be good for 200-250grainers Iam using the 225gr part as my go to bullet and 200 hornady just for deer.

Default 35 whelen

i would love to see this thread continue, as i intend to retire my grandfathers 338wm. is it true that any 30-06 brass can be resized for the .35 whelen? and can i do it with a normal die set?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    i would love to see this thread continue, as i intend to retire my grandfathers 338wm. is it true that any 30-06 brass can be resized for the .35 whelen? and can i do it with a normal die set?
    Normally a Whelen die set has a tapered expander and so long as it does you can make 30/06 into Whelen brass without any trouble. With unfired brass I have never lost a case to the process, nor have I lost a case to once fired brass, but there are reports of some loss with once fired brass. Regardless, brass for the '06 is cheap and plentiful and it can readily be turned into 35 Whelen brass. Size it and trim to a uniform length and you are good to go.

So far I've only loaded 225's in my 350 rem mag. With the tsx, I just don't see the need for a heavier bullet. I do have some 250 gr sierra's, and some 280 gr cast bullets.

My thought is the 280 a-frame is better suited to the 358 norma or 358 sta. I'd want at least 2500 fps for that bullet, and you aren't going to get that with a rem mag or whelen.

As far as the 310 gr woodleigh, I could see the solid for hunting thick skinned African game (where legal) but again, I don't see the benefit for use in NA.

The fast twist of the ruger shouldn't be a problem, these groups were fired with the 1-12 twist ruger 350 rem mag.

Default whelen with 280gr's

Been looking at the heavier molds for the Whelen. Don't think I would go for A-frames of that weight at Whelen velocities. Probably act just like a solid.
    Been looking at the heavier cast bullets though. Might be fun to run some of those. Even 250g cast would be fun.
    I have a few of the Speer 250g Hotcores that should work well at Whelen velocities. I've read that they do good even at Norma velocities.
    YMMV

My most accurate load for my 1:12 , 26" barrelled 35 Whelen is the discontinued Hornady 275gr rn , 3.28" oal , 57gr VV N140. The velocity is 2479 fps. It shoots sub-moa at 100 yards always. Brass is Federal 270Win. Some cases are on their fouth firing and primer pockets are still tight. I've shot this load from 25*F to 100*F with the same results.

If you can find one, the discontinued lyman 3589 or 358009 mold is a dandy. It drops a ~280 gr rn bullet from ww's and I managed a 5 shot 1" group @ 100 yds with that bullet.

But since the mold is popular and no longer made, they command a premium. If I was looking for a heavy I'd just go to mountain molds website, use their online software to design a 270 gr fn type mold and call it good.

From my 350 Remington Magnum:
    I tried some old 275 grain Barnes and they were not very accurate from my Ruger M77MKII Weather stainless. 1 in 12 twist

I tried some 250 grain round nose with
    56 grains of IMR 4064 and it was ok at 2,479 fps.
    55.0 grains H-4895 for 2,501 fps
    52.0 grains of RL-15 for 2,450 fps (nice group, clean cases and no sign of pressure)

My rifle likes the 220 to 225 grain bullets at 2,700 to 2,800 fps. Usually with RL-15. I have some partition bullets I need to try this weekend....

The darn mag box length is my biggest hold up...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 280g cast

Quote Originally Posted by green sourdough View Post
    Been looking at the heavier molds for the Whelen. Don't think I would go for A-frames of that weight at Whelen velocities. Probably act just like a solid.
    Been looking at the heavier cast bullets though. Might be fun to run some of those. Even 250g cast would be fun.
    I have a few of the Speer 250g Hotcores that should work well at Whelen velocities. I've read that they do good even at Norma velocities.
    YMMV
    Got in on a group buy of the 358009 mold. This is a round nose in the 280g relm.
    This will be a great one for the Whelen. Run them out at around 18 Br. don't look back.

I hope my stock of Speers will be used in the Norma.