Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat heater winner - - - Proheat A4!

Default Boat heater winner - - - Proheat A4!

Which you've probably never heard of, but the trucking industry seems to love them. They're designed to run on standard diesel fuel and used to heat truck cabs or cargo spaces without idling the motors. I've spent the last 3 weeks researching everything that burns diesel (highest BTU/gal fuel) and could be used as a boat heater.

Max output of 13500 BTUs, 10 heat output settings, adjustable 65 CFM fan speeds, .06 to .12 gal/hour fuel usage, ultra quiet, easy on the batteries, included thermostat that has all kinds of functions (timer, etc), and a 2 year warranty.

And they only cost $1795.00 from Cummings NW on Commercial drive (same price quote that I got from a distributor in the lower 48). I put my order in today.

I'll have to adapt a bit for a boat usage, but they're built like tanks and can handle severe bouncing around while operating.

http://www.proheat.com/trucks/airHeaters/index.html

Considering what the other models cost (of equivalent BTU output) and its capabilities its a dang good deal.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Are they gonna install it also, and if so how much?

Thumbs up

I have a proheat 80 i would sell /they heat up the motor and WHATEVER size cab u have w/ coolant pump just run the plumbing...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Looks about like my Airtronics D-4 heater I just installed and about the same money. I sure like my Airtronic heater and I'll bet this will work great as well.

I didnt even ask about installation, I'd rather do it myself anyway, save a few bucks and have it exactly the way I want.
    "Dominion"

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I sent the manufacturer Pro Heat an email about use on a boat and they told me they did not recomend their product in the marine enviorment.

If you have not bought one you may want to rethink that choice. They did not say why I was asking them if they had a kit for insalling their unit in a boat.

I looked into it after seeing your first post because like you I am planning to put a diesel heater in my new boat also so I have been looking into a less expensive option but there does not seem to be one.

Mike

Default This is exactly why I post here

To help keep me from doing something stupid and to get the "lessons learned" other people had already gathered.

I'm very glad you contacted Proheat, even though I'd read through all the available manuals this is the first I'd heard that they specifically did not recommend using it on a boat.

It probably would have caused problems if I'd had to deal with warranty issues.

Would it have worked? Probably, but if the company says its not recommended, then I'm not going to go ahead and have a potential expensive problem on my hands.

Oh well, the search goes on. Going to have to spend the extra money then.

Thank you

Dave
    "Dominion"

Have you considered the Airtronic heater? I was able to purchase a new D-4 on ebay for a reasonable price. Still not cheap but certainly alot less than any dealer I could find.

Default I went with the Wallas 30D

I finally just went with what was already in my boat. I have the 85D cooktop heater but wanted more for the cuddy. The 30D was simple to install and it is a forced air furnace designed for boats. $2800.00 and I installed it myself. I went to Green Island on Dec. 11, for an over night deer hunt and it works great.

Maast,
    I should have posted the email but I deleted it they did not give a reason they just said they did not recommend installation in a boat at this time.

Mike

Webasto makes a pretty good boat heater, with many of the features you described for the ProHeat.

Just be careful to NOT buy their official Do It Yourself kit. You get about a thousand little unfamiliar parts with no parts list and pitiful instructions. Once I found some good advice, and bought another $300 worth of parts, it was an easy install and it has worked perfectly for 2 full seasons.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Thumbs up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Espar...ehicleQ5fParts

About $1500. No discussion needed, most of them air-heaters are about the same and very good. Fuel consumption is comparable, either 2 or 4 kw model and marine kit. You can get ducting parts at Alaska Rubber. Fairly easy to install but make sure your exhaust/venting is done properly. They also make silencers to keep the "whooshng" sound down.

I plan to put one of these heaters in my boat the cabin is 8' long with a cuddy sleeping area. I fish SE AK in the summer but I have not needed a heater then but I want ducts for defrost. I live in Vancouver WA and fish the Columbia in the winter and it can be cold at times but defrost is the main reason I want the heat.

What size heater do you guys recomend I am a down Souther so I won't be using it in extreme cold but in temps down into the 20's. I don't believe my cabin will have any insulation I don't have the boat yet. I have been looking at the 2K and 4K models.

Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    Have you considered the Airtronic heater? I was able to purchase a new D-4 on ebay for a reasonable price. Still not cheap but certainly alot less than any dealer I could find.
    Where did you buy your D-4 ?

I just found and bought the Espar Airtronic D4 from ebay canada, $1445 US, the thermostat is separate for about another 180 bucks, so total package is $1675.00 including shipping.

There's a boat install kit too that additonal but I havent bought that yet.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I just found and bought the Espar Airtronic D4 from ebay canada, $1445 US, the thermostat is separate for about another 180 bucks, so total package is $1675.00 including shipping.

You will not be disappointed with that unit. It is relatively quiet, sips the fuel, and starts with the flip of a switch every time. I flip it on over the winter while working out in the boat and have had it warmer than my house while it was -20 outside. Great unit. The webasto unit looks very similar and is supposed to be a fantastic setup, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

As I was digging around, I saw a new Espar B4 gasoline unit for sale in Germany ebay, my german is so rusty I had to use google translation to read the page. Couldnt find it anywhere else though.

It was going for $980 euros (1430 dollars), gasoline has about 110K BTUs/gal vs diesels 126K/gal.

I'd be kinda leery of using it anyway, but I wonder why its not offered for sale here in the US? I can see the appeal of using the same fuel your main tank holds.
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    Where did you buy your D-4 ?
    Ebay: I think this is the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Espar...ehicleQ5fParts

Compete kit with through hull fitting about $1500. they were willing to deal a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post

I'll certainly agree with the Spoiled One you will love this heater.

My heater came with a basic install kit that included a mini controller in lieu of a thermostat. I don't know what others are using but the mini controller senses return air temperature that adjust the fan and fuel burn and seems to work just great. You will also need some kind of a thru hull exhaust fitting and they don't give those away. I'm assuming you got a basic install kit: 4 ft. of exhaust, supply and return air ducting, fuel line, fuel pump etc.

Not to big a deal to install, and you should be very happy with the heater.

Where on your boat are folks installing these type heaters? Inside the cabin, under the floor, in the head? How do you duct the warm air - just get it into the cabin, or run some kind of supply specifically up toward windshields?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast