Thread: Scent control?

Default Scent control?

What do you guys do about scent when your out running your lines and using snowmachines?
    i've done the rubber glove/ziploc/trap wax/wax paper stuff, but never in sub zero temps and with a snowmachine...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default What exactly are you

asking Jake? I only keep traps/snares clean for canines and more specifically wolves. Anything else does not matter. I keep my traps in action packers, snares in a clean bag and then my gloves in a ziplock bag. Wax paper is stored in the trap box.

i see. i guess i'm asking if the snowmachine scent screws stuff up.
    What kinda gloves are you using..rubber ones that don't hold scent or just a pair of winter gloves that you specifily use for trappin'?
    Master guide 212

Jake,

You have to consider that most canines run the snowmachine trails. So most of them are used to the smell of your trail as far as your exhaust goes.

As for gloves, we were told years ago by Bob Green to get those green or orange cotton gloves from AIH. They are washed in nothing but plain water. Set out to dry, after they dry we then stick them outside to hang for a day or two. We have two sets of 6, switching each set out as we go. They are stored in a gallon ziplock baggy and only handling them by the cuff. We only consider them "dirty" once they become wet or soiled with any sort of bait or lure. The used pair gets a ziplock of their own so that they aren't stored back in the same bag as the clean ones.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Scent

Yeah, animals don't really care about the scent from the machines. After YEARS of using the green/orange/yellow gloves, I have thrown them away. I only use gloves that I find from AIH. They are made by majestic and are made out of pigskin. These are the gloves that I set my wolf traps and snares with. They last forever and stay really dry, so I don't have to switch gloves when they are wet and my hands do not turn green/orange/yellow!
    Plus when hanging snares, you won't get any of the green/orange/yellow fuzz sticking to the wire or other things.

Thanks northway! We'll look into those now. I personally hate how they fall apart after you wash them.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I do pretty much like Northway. all traps for everything but wolves in one action packer, Fox snares in my tankbag, Wolf traps in another action packer with the wolf snares in a bag thrown in with them. Bait either goes in another action packer or when hauling large amounts for setting on wolf baits piles wrapped in a tarp in the sled. Misc gear like wire, pliers, coni setters, ice pick and axe all have a place on my machine or in a tote on the back of my snowmachine. If I need to haul extra fuel the tote on the back of the snowmachine is replaced with a jug of fuel and the other stuff goes in saddel bags.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

ok gotcha. machines not a factor, but using leather gloves would be a better option for scent free stuff rather than the ol' gorilla gloves?
    what do you guys do for your box sets? anything to keep them scent free or just stick them out and give them time?
    Master guide 212

I wouldn't get too involved in trying to be scent free with fox. Not necessary for the majority of fox.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default BRNBR/scent free

Really the only animals that I try to be scent free for is wolves and coyotes/fox. I don't target coyote/fox, but they still are canines and still have a nose. Like MT says, sometimes it really doesn't matter for fox, but is still worth being clean. Wolverines, lynx, marten, etc. I don't worry about scent control at all.

northway - When you say you wouldn't worry about scent control at all, is that to say that you wouldn't even boil the traps? Or is that a given?

Brian, not to jump in ahead of Northway, but I dont think boiling traps for lynx or marten is necessary. Probably Wolverine too, but one never knows when he'll run into a smart one...or a trap shy critter..

I degrease and boil all my traps except marten traps..just because I'd hate to miss a shot at a coyote or fox in a lynx set because the trap was dirty...

One other thing for Jake...when your putting in a trail set off the snogo, shut down the machine while youre making the set...the exhaust will melt a hole in teh trail near your set that will leave an odor, and you want them to not be cautious especially on a blind trail set...My .02

northway,

Now we did some more thinking on that pig skin glove idea. Since the area we target is for the most part canines, would you not worry about the "tan-it" in the gloves leaving an odor? I guess that's the only reason hubby doesn't use leather gloves is the idea of it leaving behind a scent. Although I guess the proof is in knowing you catch plenty of critters.

Default Scent control

I only boil wolf traps/snares. If my traps have a lot of rust, I will boil lynx/wolverine traps for a bit also. I do boil lyxn/fox snares once, just to get the wire clean, but normally leave them hanging in a tree or in a box during the summer, so they are pretty clean. I rarely set wolverine foot holds anymore, but wouldn't worry about those either unless you have a smart wolverine and then you can try some other things if needed.

Huntress, I do NOT worry about the leather smell. I've been using these gloves for about 5 years now and the wolves don't worry about it either! They are the smooth leather gloves.

Ok, well since I'm the only one catching anything at the moment..... maybe I'll do a little experiment of my own and see if it makes a difference. I can't see it being a big deal, your catch rate should be proof enough for you know who!

Default If you are worried

about the smell of leather, just take some spruce bows and rub it between your gloves. It will make them smell like spruce then! Honestly, you will have no issues using those gloves. I have the same pair I used 5 years ago along with 5 more pairs that I pack along just in case.

good pointers guys. i was trappin' fox when i was a wee lad and i could see the tracks go within 40 feet of my scent, swing a big circle and get back on the trail 40 feet past the set and keep on walkin', figred scent musta mattered to that fox. since i have boiled and waxed and use rubber gloves kept in a ziploc for fox on kodiak. but i haven't targeted lynx.wolf or wolverine as of yet...trying to get my ducks in a row here...
    Master guide 212

It's not the scent, but it is the scent, if it is out of place. Remember, coyotes live in most western cities subjected to all of our smells but it doesn't make them any easier to catch. I went on a winter camp out a few years back and after hearing all the coyotes at night I came back a few days later to hunt. The campsite was completely tracked up by them. Our presence (and smells) actually attracts them in some situations.