Thread: Fuel Meters

Default Fuel Meters

I have twin 2000 115 hp Ocean Pro Johnsons on a 22' Hewes Craft. I would like to add fuel flow meters to my engines. Any suggestions as to make or model of meters?

Default Floscan

I use a Floscan on my 150 and have been happy with it.

I have a lowrance LMF200 on my 140 Johnson (4stroke).
    It was inexpensive (~$200.00), has a lot of functions, the big one is its NEMA 2000 compatible, so if you connect to a NEMA 2000 chartplotter it will give MPG readings.
    They make a interface device for my motor that plugs into the ECU, any fuel guage (reasonably certain) for your motor(s) will require a inline paddlewheel type sensor.
    Maybe the Floscans are the same ?????
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Call Flowscan. They can answer any question you have and I have learned to love mine. The quality is excellant and performs great.

Thanks for the replies. I will call flowscan.

Default Another Choice

Before you buy a flow scan here is another option.
    http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Fuel...ENGINE_KIT.htm

Default Honda?

Folks with Honda fuel management system, how do you like them?

Default Fuel Flow Meters

I purchased a complete Lowrance system from AK Mining & Diving during their last garage sale. I got a LMF-200 Multifunction Digital Gauge (2" dia), two in-line fuel flow meters, and a tank level sensor, all for less than $250.00. I've heard good things about them from other people and their a lot less money than Flow Scan. I'll be using them on my Kingfisher w/twin 135 Honda's.

Default Network vs. gauge or both?

I haven't made the plunge yet either, and have lately wondered if I even need a guage should I buy a sensor that I can network into my Lowrance HDS-5. Of course, if something were to go wrong with the Lowrance, I might appreciate the gauge. However, along the same lines as this thread, how many network their fuel info and how many just use the gauge.....and why?

I'm thinking the gauge might be nice just for improved visibility if nothing else while I'm running.

I too am looking at the Lowrance sensor & gauge, and I want to get this done before I start fishing more again.

Default Fuel Flow Meter

KodiakHunter,

The reason I am getting the tank level sensor is twofold. First, to covert my idiot gauge (pointer) to gallons, and secondly, to match my engine fuel burn to the actual gallons used out of the tank.

It's really the only way I will be able to verifiy the usable fuel range of my boat. The good thing about the Lowrance fuel tank level sensor, is that the idiot gage should still work fine even if somthing happens to the digital gauge.

Pat

I was told by an experienced outboard mechanic that you should get the same brand meters as your outboards. He wasn't trying to sell me some, just saying that if you buy oem meters for whatever brand, they usually attach to the high pressure fuel rails on the outboards, rather than just an inline turbine on the main fuel line. He said this is much more accurate. My fuel flow meter is still the GPS trip meter combined with the gas pump and some fuzzy math, so I have no first hand experience, but it made sense to me. Thought it may help...

If your mechanic lierally meant "attach to the fuel rails", he may be smoking cat food.........
    If he meant it figuratively, then, what he really meant is some type of a electrical connection to the computers ECM, which would then read the amount of fuel flowing throught the injectors, based on pulse width and all the hi-tec stuff.
    Brand specific.............? Lowrance makes many of the guages for Evinrude and Suzuki, maybe others, as I said before, I am not a big advocate of Lowrance, I have been happy with the equipment, but customer service is lousy.
    A NEMA 2000 based system has a lot of advantages if in the future you want to expand your "network", its relatively simple to connect other devices of diffrent manufactures into the system and have it all work together.
    The Lowrance LMF 200 has worked good on my boat, however it is connected to the ECM. It is available with a inline paddlewheel sensor, but I have no experience with that setup. I suspect it would work as well as any brand of paddlewheel device.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I just made the plunge and bought an LMF-200 (didn't see the need for the LMF-400), evinrude connection cable, network T's, 25' network cable, termination resistors, and 2' network cable from boatersland.com. Since I didn't see a "how to" thread posted anywhere on this site, I'll start one with pictures after I successfully get the system running.

I could have bought the in-line fuel sensor, but connecting my network to the engine will give me a lot more engine info displayed on my Lowrance HDS-5.

I did find a good tutorial posted by a guy that did a pretty clear job of explaining the install. The tutorial for installing a NMEA 2000 network is about half way down the web page. http://www.bayfishers.com/Tutorials.htm

Anyone deciding to create a NMEA 2000 network (even if you aren't connecting to your motor) should find this helpful.

Mike

Roger gramps, I believe that is exactly what he mean. He said that in his experience the turbine sensors are not nearly as accurate as the ecm based systems. Although they're a heck of a lot better than the system I currently employ. I assure you he was not smoking cat food. Or anything else for that matter. As for me, well, cat food is my vice.... I guess I misspoke. But yes, any system that connects with the ecm is mo betta. Thanks for the link hunkodiak, I've been curious about connectivity options of the NMEA 2000 network, and good info is hard to find. This was helpful.