Thread: Xmas came early

Smile Xmas came early

I was checking traps yesterday and was aproaching one of my pole sets for martin but the pole was gone. The first thing i thought was someone stole my trap but the pole was gone too. Then as i got closer i noticed that the area around the tree was destroyed. Im thinkin wolverine and im in trouble because im not carring my gun. I finally convinced myself to have a look. So as i follow the trail thru the snow i almost walk into this lynx as it jumps out from around a small pine. I about dirtyied my britches. I guess she walked up the pole and stepped into a 1 1/2 victor coil spring. first time ive ever had to dispatch one ( I normally use snares) so i used a snare and a long stick. I can tell you this a 42" snare isnt long enough with a ticked off cat at the end of a pole. This is my second cat and I get to keep it. First cat was caught in a fox snare the third day of the season so i had to turn it in. Well Merry xmas all i Know mine has already been great. Hillbilly

Default another pic

This pic you can see the pole with the trap

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your post so that the pictures show up. You just have to use img tags instead of url tags.

Awesome catch - congratulations!

-Brian

Default sweet

That is pretty sweet. How was the catch on the foot with a 1 1/2?

Nice, glad you got to keep that one. Which line were you on E or FW.
    That's one I wish I could watch on a trail cam video type of thing.

Thumbs up cool

Man it is your Christmas, isn't it
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Nice job. I would interested to see how that 1.5 held.

Default Lynx

Thanks BM that was bugging me but im computer dumb. I am by no means an expert but from what i understand cats wont fight a trap hard. This one fought pretty hard. That pole was wired good to that tree and it got it off and drug it 50 more yards. When i first saw the mess i thought for sure i was hosed because it was a wolverine. It was a three toe catch and it held good. I wont ever use a 1.5 with intent to catch a lynx because their feet are just to big. This was the second from the E line. Hillbilly

And some folks think a 1.5 is too big for marten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never know what else might come along.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Congrats!!!

I want one of those for Xmas too!!!!

I can't picture your pole set? Please describe.

Arctic Hunter

Merry Christmas!!!!

Default pole set

Its just a normal martin pole set. I wire a pole at about a 45degree angle to another tree. Then set a trap about half way up with bait on the other side of the trap. The martin steps in as it runs up the pole. Just make sure you set it high enough off of the ground so the martin doesnt touch the ground.I wish i had a pic. For some reason this lynx though it was a martin. I use 1.5 because i already use them to drown mink instead of useing drowner locks. A mink cant swim with that much weight. Plus i havnt had a bit of problems with them on martin.

I caught a Lynx in a 110 coni last year, he climbed the tree and my trap was stuck out of reach. All he left me was some fur! I was using a variation of the Mike Lapinski marten set with a 110 mounted to the side of a tree about 4 foot up. I had the trap wired away from the tree so the marten would hang.

- Clint

got my only wolf in a number 1 longspring on a marten set...had it by one hind toe.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Wolf?

I bet that was a surprise.

ummm ya. he took off with my trap left quiet the trail in the snow, cause i had a tiny drag buried, so i hopped on the machine and started following he went about a half mile and hooked up under an old spruce, for eight feet on that tree there were no limbs or bark just a wolf sitting there staring at me. i put one in his eye and out his ear, i wasnt' about to walk up and bonk him on the head, not knowing how well he was in that trap. i was 16 at the time and lived in mcgrath.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I caught a Lynx in a 110 coni last year, he climbed the tree and my trap was stuck out of reach. All he left me was some fur! I was using a variation of the Mike Lapinski marten set with a 110 mounted to the side of a tree about 4 foot up. I had the trap wired away from the tree so the marten would hang.

- Clint

Whats a mike lapinski martin set???

thanks

Default This should help

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...pping05003.jpg http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...pping05005.jpg the first is the set then you nail the bait between the top nails and trap. 2nd pic is the set covered up. The Idea is that the martin will run up the tree after the bait . The easiest way is through the coni. It sets it off and releases from the coni mount and swings away from the tree. No vole problems. I use it but not that often. I seems like they would rather climb a lean pole than straight up the tree. Good Luck Hillbilly
    Last edited by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y; 02-13-2007 at 23:24.

Angry Barker clip set

I tried this set almost exclusively at the start of this season and had absolutely 0 luck. I thought that it was a good idea and quick but ended up with 6 sets that were robbed of bait. The marten that would go up the tree would run around above it and tear the spruce bows out of the set and eat the bait. I tried using more roofing nails to keep the bows in more solid and that still didnt help. I am going to use the same set next year only I am going to use flower pots and also put the set about waist high on the trunk.