Thread: "Chasing" or "Positioning"?

Default "Chasing" or "Positioning"?

I called the ADF&G last winter before I started predator hunting for the first time. The rules governing chasing predators as opposed to using a snow machine to position oneself for a shot seem pretty vague. The answer I got from the game cop was equally vague. Anyway, I ended up shooting one Coyote last winter and still don't know what to think about how well I followed the rules.

I was riding out in the swamps north of Kenai. It had just stopped snowing so I knew that the tracks i cut were pretty fresh. I started to follow and noticed that there was a change in the track from meandering bush to bush to a beeline run for the nearest Spruce stand. She'd enter a stand and exit going another direction so I'd have to circle the stand in order to pick up her tracks again. This went on for a couple miles before I spotted her at about 100 yards. I stopped and squeezed off a shot/dumped her.

What say you; chasing her down or positioning myself for a shot? Would you dedicated predator hunters consider this ethical? If the overwhelming response is "No", I'll stick to my (thusfar) feeble attempts to call them in.

Thanks in advace for replies... Please realize I'm being open and honest at the risk of getting flamed only so I can be a good/ethical predator hunter.

We discussed this at length last year and the end result was that no one really knows. It seems that the intention was to stop people from running down game but ultimately it will be up to the discretion of the LEO that sees you.

i agree, i don't think you did wrong. i think the regs say position hunters that way it gives people leeway to run down wolves and yotes as sometimes thats the most effective way to get them. so they worded it to be vague with no hard line. but yes the fish cop that shows up..might not be having a good day and there you go..ticket.
    interpetation and mood will dictate alot of how the fish cops handle a situtation where there is no hard line.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I talked with on of the troopers that works my area his take on it was if you need to position yourself within a few yards to take the shot then so be it.
    I don't agree with Lujon we didn't have the rule until we became a wolf management area and it was explained to me that it was simply making legal what many were doing. The idea was to help people take more wolves. I did not know it was legal for Coyote anywhere and know here it is not legal to position for them or fox only wolves
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default ...

I remember reading somewhere that the State definded "chasing" as anytime the animal is running away. As soon as that animal starts to flee from the area, any pursuit on it is considered chasing, even if going around the hill to "position" for another shot.

This was in context of bear hunting. I'll have to do some research to see if I can find it agian.

**after some research: On page 18 you may not take game by "pursuing with a vehicle an animal that is fleeing".

Once it is leaving the area, you are no longer "positioning" you are "pursuing".
    Last edited by Alaskan22; 01-11-2010 at 12:23. Reason: did my research.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

man i love ak game laws....geez
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What say you; chasing her down or positioning myself for a shot?
    I go with the Yukon River interpretation.
    Now what ?

Default fleeing what?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    **after some research: On page 18 you may not take game by "pursuing with a vehicle an animal that is fleeing".

Once it is leaving the area, you are no longer "positioning" you are "pursuing".
    Why exactly is that animal moving? Do his tracks going that way mean it was a result of my arrival (thus, to flee)?

Is merely the act of steering a vehicle (of any type) the direction that the tracks head towards is illegal? Or steering a canoe towards game that is not standing stock still?

I don't think this narrow of an interpretation was intended.

Actually, I think that narrow of a interpetation is exactly correct!

The only way to get caught in this, is if someone sees you. That meaning, they see the animal running AWAY from YOU, then you are pursing, and breaking the law. If the animal is grazing, and has no clue you're there, that isn't "fleeing" you will be fine. Big difference, and the "person" watching this activity can tell the difference (or I hope so at least).

Again, someone has to see this happen. And I think if they see you turn in an animal's direction, and the animal, after hearing the machine, starts to pick up the pace to get away. You will be found guilty.

Don't kill me, I'm just reading what is in the books and how I think it leaves VERY little for interpretation.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

If the animal is grazing, and has no clue you're there, that isn't "fleeing" you will be fine. Big difference, and the "person" watching this activity can tell the difference (or I hope so at least).
    1, coyotes don't graze , they pursue game... How am I to know that the running coyote tracks aren't running after a bunny . I'm just sayin' that the laws are pretty vague, maybe this is intentional.

Default no killing

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Actually, I think that narrow of a interpetation is exactly correct!...

Don't kill me, I'm just reading what is in the books and how I think it leaves VERY little for interpretation.
    No killing no. You're not "fleeing" are you???

Seriously though, seems like a few more points of view on this would be good. Though to be honest, I wonder if this is merely ill-defined in the law.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

were you hunting or trapping? seems it has always been common practice to run down fur animals, several books and articles on it also over the years

chase down a moose, bou or bear like that and your likely to get stung, have a trapping license and prolly not.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    were you hunting or trapping? seems it has always been common practice to run down fur animals, several books and articles on it also over the years

chase down a moose, bou or bear like that and your likely to get stung, have a trapping license and prolly not.
    I can see it now. "Yea officer, I trapped that dog with my trusty super wide!"
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I can see it now. "Yea officer, I trapped that dog with my trusty super wide!"
    well trapping does have some different allowances.. i dont keep up with them. but i sure have known enough guys to cut tracks and haul after them till spotted..

not saying right or wrong.. but it may be different.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well trapping does have some different allowances.. i dont keep up with them. but i sure have known enough guys to cut tracks and haul after them till spotted..

not saying right or wrong.. but it may be different.
    I hear you, Vince. Not arguing, just playing a bit. So in deep powder would a sled put a dog down or would it just pop back up and keep on running. Assuming we are still trapping, of course. Or perhaps in a predator control area.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I hear you, Vince. Not arguing, just playing a bit. So in deep powder would a sled put a dog down or would it just pop back up and keep on running. Assuming we are still trapping, of course. Or perhaps in a predator control area.
    Just make sure you run your sled up and down a paved road a few times first to dull the skags a bit, wouldn't want to damage the pelt

LOL not using the sled..

running them to ground for a shot.. find fresh tracks and be after it. when spotted it is shot..

i watched an ol boy many years ago out in unalakleet,, run critters down.. the fox were only stunned... the wolverene..did a back flip, he bailed, and watched as the wolverine ate his sled before it came to a stop...ATE....... then pissed on it and walked away...

the entire time he was yelling at me to shoot it...

as I looked at my 2.5 inch .38 and thought if i miss.....

i am next...

meet on face book here

One quick note to all a caution if you will. In some units like 17 to position for wolves you MUST have a trapping Lic. It is a trapping reg and not allowed with just a hunting lic. The year it started out here the troopers worked real hard to get that tid bit of info out.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it