Thread: Eskimo roll a fjord explorer?

Default Eskimo roll a fjord explorer?

I am a big-o-boy (6'5" 270lbs), and will be purchasing an unrigged fjord explorer in the next couple of months. I am considering getting it set up w/ thigh straps but I am worried that the shape of the boat will make it impossible to Eskimo roll. I was curious if anyone had done it? Is there other reasons to get thigh straps? The boat will be rigged for hunting but I plan on taking it out in the summer for fishing and play trips as well.

Default Sorry....

....but when I read the subject line, the first thing that came to mind was I thought you were referring to the drivers commuting in from the Valley on the Glenn Highway....then I noticed the "j" in the model name.

Default roll

Yes; Thigh straps will connect you to your boat allowing you to maneuver your boat easier, using less strength. You will be able to get alot more done when combine your body weight shift too your paddle strokes, when maneuvering your craft.
    As far as the roll, you can remount your craft, so it is not necessary. If you are going too boat big, violent, continuous whitewater rivers, then I would want a solid roll.
    Put in your pool time and experiment, there is no substitute for practice, then you can make an educated decision pertaining too your needs

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am a big-o-boy (6'5" 270lbs), and will be purchasing an unrigged fjord explorer in the next couple of months. I am considering getting it set up w/ thigh straps but I am worried that the shape of the boat will make it impossible to Eskimo roll. I was curious if anyone had done it? Is there other reasons to get thigh straps? The boat will be rigged for hunting but I plan on taking it out in the summer for fishing and play trips as well.
    I have no raft experience, but wanted to respond anyway
    I don't think it would be possible to roll this type of boat. When I roll my open canoe, the gunwhale travels under the water. With a large inflated tube in the way, I just don't see how it is possible. The boat is so much larger than a kayak, so I don't think you can snap it underneath you like a kayak eskimo roll. But you are a lot taller than me, so maybe it could work.
    As pp mentioned, thigh straps will give you lots of control.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

now do that while your head is bouncing off the rocks, logs, and fighitng the mcMillian divers reflex...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here