Thread: Snowshoe Hare in distress call?

Default Snowshoe Hare in distress call?

I've been seeing a lot of Hares this winter and gotta think the predators are lovin' it. Does anybody know if they sound more like a Cottontail or a Jackrabbit when in distress? Does somebody sell a Snowshoe Hare mouth call or know of a tape/C.D.? Thanks

Yes, snowshoe hare mouth calls can be purchased. A snowshow hare has a raspy scream that is closer to a jack than a cottontail IMO. Good luck.

Smile Sceery calls

I have a snowshoe hare call made by Sceery calls. I believe I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of Hares this winter and gotta think the predators are lovin' it. Does anybody know if they sound more like a Cottontail or a Jackrabbit when in distress? Does somebody sell a Snowshoe Hare mouth call or know of a tape/C.D.? Thanks
    I have a Sceery APS-5 Snowshoe Hare mouth call as well as a Johnny Stewart tape. Don't bother with the Sceery tapes. They suck.
    The Johnny Stewart tapes are kinda hard to find, but you can find the Dennis Kirk version at http://www.allpredatorcalls.com

However, a Foxpro Spitfire OTOH will help you save your breath.
    Now what ?

Default Snowshoe

Just get a Sceery AP-6 and you can make anything from a mouse squeak to Raspy Jack/Snowshoe sounds. That, and it won't freeze up on you like the metal reed models. Or, get the FoxPro with their 3 snowshoe sounds and you have the real deal.

I have purchased several "snowshoe hare" calls over the years, did pretty good with a Johnny Stewart pc-3, but was still not satisfied as it never really sounded like the real deal.

Until I purchased a custom open reed call from Brad Gainey. It has to be one his antlered toneboards though, and then it's up to the user to mimic the sound.

I can nail it with call, and i have tried a lot.