Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting direction on first sheep hunt

Default Requesting direction on first sheep hunt

I am planning my first sheep hunt for this year starting on Aug 29 and will stay in the feild for 7 days, it will be a walk-in with a friend that is equally dedicated and will to put in the work necessary to complete the hunt successful or not. My question is could someone please point me in the direction of either walking in off Nabesna or an area of the Talkeetnas where I could scout as soon as weather is allowing. I live in Anchorage and work a very time consuming job which only allows me to scout over weekends. I have already started training by snowshoeing, climbing here in the Chugach range and weight training and cannot read enough books on sheep hunting which have helped greatly. I have also read almost ever post available on this site related to sheep hunting which I cannot thank everyone enough for. I am just looking for someone who has experience in learning the same way I plan to and to just pass a little knowledge of these areas or if you have any other recommendations. I hunted in Alaska for the first time last year after some hard planning and was lucky enough to shoot my first bull moose and now I am ready to put in even more time for sheep. Thank you.

If anyone knows where I can find 30 pounds of gold nuggets on the surface where I can swing by and pick them up I would really appreciate it. Please just shoot me a pm with the GPS coordinates!

In all seriousness, start doing your research now, download google earth and start pouring over topo maps and the regs. Don't forget to research the property records too so you can avoid trespassing issues. When you find a potential spot use that sick leave in concert w/ a holiday or weekend and put some miles on the boot leather. When you find a spot guard it like a bottle of water on a life raft at sea!!

Talking Research

Lujon is correct !!! About 3 Years ago (2007) I wanted to hunt dall sheep, and joined the Alaska Outdoors Directory, I was deployed, and had alot of Internet time, When I asked about "Hunting Dall Sheep" here in Alaska, I got the same treatment........ So I did the research on my own.

Now that I have a couple of nice sheep, I have gotten more PM's pertaining to sheep than my kids getting friend request on facebook. Its amazing how tables turn on this forum.

Remember....Do unto others as you want them do unto you

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by chapman8523 View Post
    My question is could someone please point me in the direction of either walking in off Nabesna or an area of the Talkeetnas where I could scout as soon as weather is allowing.

Well i know how it is starting out, and sheep hunters are the worst for giving directions any way.. most would as soon get you lost then join the search party after their own hunts...

so I will give you a good starting point from both locations you mention...as i don't hunt sheep.. i am out nothing...

In both locals it really is simple..

GO

UP! sheep live on top start at the bottom and go up...

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Well i know how it is starting out, and sheep hunters are the worst for giving directions any way.. most would as soon get you lost then join the search party after their own hunts...

so I will give you a good starting point from both locations you mention...as i don't hunt sheep.. i am out nothing...

In both locals it really is simple..

GO

UP! sheep live on top start at the bottom and go up...

Hey....Aren't you supposed to help this guy out?......Didn't you win "Forum Member of the Year" based on this merit?........

Captain Obvious strikes again...

if the hunt is road accesable to you .. it is to the 3000 other hunters.. set yourself apart... walk further, faster, and climb higher

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

If you are looking at the Nabesna Road, there is a fairly well defined portion that is not hard park and therefore huntable by you. There are several trails that head from the road into the mountains. It's not that big an area so you could head up any of those trails and see some sheep once you get into the mountains. I do not know that any of the trails or drainaiges are any better than the others, but there would be a specific approach I would take to hunting off the Nabesna Road. You will find relatively few legal rams and they will tend to be relatively small. You will also find a lot of other hunters.

Default Squeeze them lincolns.

My advice to the OP. scrimp on equipment and every thing else and go for a fly-out charter. Go ahead Call Meekins and Lee's Air Taxi get their advice for a drop off hunt in the Talkeetnas well away everybody else.
    Change your leave so you can go in earlier. As a starter hunter, going in before season and figuring out where the critters are is paramount to your success.

Who knows maybe you will draw Tok which might not be equal to 30lbs of nuggets but many spend a lot on those governor's permits.

I am just giving my take.

You might also call Ellis Air Taxi and Fortymile. Out of those outfits you should find some piece of gold in the woodpile.
    Anchorage has a lot of experienced sheep hunters. Start with Barney's- Go talk to Bob-set up coffee with some of those old guys who live in Anchorage.
    Go to the Sportsman's show. Go down to Fish and Game and BS with them.
    Talk with Rick Sinnot and really push him to give you the take on where to go.
    Push hard.

You are going to be surrounded by other hunters trying to do a sheep hunt on the cheap so just take the hit of a charter but find some odd ball place that seems to be producing.
    Remember that the Western Alaska Range might experience more pressure to the new guide concession system.

Sheep are presently struggling all over and there are more and more hunters.
    This is due to a change in weather patterns which has brought more moisture to all of the ranges and drainages( Chinooks kill sheep more than extreme cold) except the Brooks and you can guess where more and more hunters are heading. When this happens, be a contrarian. You zig when they zag and you enjoy the prize from doing your homework.

I am sure that tons of people will be ticked off that I post this but I really don't care. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

63°26.299’ N 150°16.877’ W
    I saw three full-curl rams last time I was there.

When it comes down to it... if you're going cheap and walking in, there's likely going to be some hunting pressure. So as mentioned above, be prepared to go harder and farther... or find the odd places that people overlook and take a chance.

Don’t be discouraged though… understand that there are lots of other people in the same position as you (which is exactly why you’re likely not going to get much more specific info). As has already been mentioned, keep doing your homework… it sounds like you’ve already got a good start. If you’ve narrowed it down to the Talkeetnas or Wrangells, then get some topo maps and start studying them. Google Earth is awesome. Look at ADF&G harvest statistics through their website. Get your hands on as much intel as you can… you can’t have too much. The more you can help yourself, the better off you’re going to be. Not saying that you shouldn’t talk to people and keep asking questions, but don’t expect folks to just throw out some good spots. Talk to people just the same, but have realistic expectations. It takes a long, long time to learn much of this state with regards to hunting (as I’m sure you’re realizing) so when people work to find a good area, they’re not going to invite the neighbors.

Personally, I fully intend to kill my first dall ram this year. Due to scheduling issues at work (mostly my coworker taking off 10 days to hunt sheep in the Brooks Range) and committing to help a buddy kill a goat, I never got to devote as much time as I would have liked to hunting sheep. But that’s priority number one this year. I’ve already got dozens of potential spots picked out in the Alaska Range, Talkeetnas, Wrangells and Brooks. I’ve scouted some on foot, and plan to put some more boot leather down this spring and summer. And I’ve talked to some friends with wings, so plan to spend some time in the air this summer and further narrow things down. It’s taken many hours, and I plan to devote many more, but if you want the prize you have to work for it.

Hey LuJon… if I tell you where those gold nuggets are at, will you tell me where my 40” ram is???
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I am sure that tons of people will be ticked off that I post this but I really don't care.
    Not sure why they would be. Everything you posted here has pretty much already been stated on this forum over the years. It was a nice summation.

Default it wasn't raspberry road after all

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    63°26.299’ N 150°16.877’ W
    I saw three full-curl rams last time I was there.
    The middle of Denali Park? And I was so sure those coordinates would lead to the main F&G offices on Raspberry Road in Anchorage.

Default Here's a 'Spot'.

I know there is a very nice full curl right here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...UTF8&z=12&om=1

If it was me, and I wanted to do an open hunt in that area, I'd call 40 Mile Air in Tok.

Good Luck! Hope to see some pic's in the fall!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default 2 or 3 year plan

As all the advice has been given over and over I will add my 2 cents worth. All of your logistic planning, getting in shape, purchasing gear etc. etc. is all part of becoming a sheep hunter, not in killing your first sheep. The best thing you can do is evolve into a sheep hunter. Spend this fall trying to find a legal ram, if you do great, if not dont think time is wasted, pay attention to how much ground you can cover, how much crap you can empty out of your bag, how long a ram (legal or not) will feed in the morning, how long do they bed down before they switch guard duty, how long do they sleep, how close can you get to lambs and ewes in your whites, how far are you willing to climb back down to get water instead of hauling it up the first time. All these things are invaluable knowledge when you do get in sheep country. It would be great to learn some of these things before you get out the checkbook for that first airplane ride. If you are disciplined enough to out walk the rest of the boot leather to get your ram more power to you, if you fly in at least you will know you are prepared. Hows that for another post of "non advice" best of luck there is nothing better then sheep country except sheep meat.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    If it was me, and I wanted to do an open hunt in that area, I'd call 40 Mile Air in Tok.
    Yes, but unless you are a returning client it is likely that you will have to hunt a third or fourth tier area.

Hey guys I really appreciate all the replies, I wasn't looking for someone to pass on the magic spot or hand me a gold nugget, just trying to learn everything I can and soak in advise from the veterans of sheep hunting. Everyone knows that if you accomplish your goal after working your tail off it feels that much better and that is what I plan on doing. Like you guys said, you can't do it without the hard work, putting some miles on the boots and spending time in the mountains. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by chapman8523 View Post
    Hey guys I really appreciate all the replies, I wasn't looking for someone to pass on the magic spot or hand me a gold nugget, just trying to learn everything I can and soak in advise from the veterans of sheep hunting. Everyone knows that if you accomplish your goal after working your tail off it feels that much better and that is what I plan on doing. Like you guys said, you can't do it without the hard work, putting some miles on the boots and spending time in the mountains. Thanks again.
    Just make sure you report back on how your hunt goes.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Hey....Aren't you supposed to help this guy out?......Didn't you win "Forum Member of the Year" based on this merit?........
    Exactly this kind of help is what got me there...I should do it differently?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I few "nuggets" of advice for a new sheep hunter.

Books will only teach you so much, dont trust anyone to give you a sure thing, dont have expectations of granduer before going into the field, learn how to put your arse on the ground with the patience of Job, and buy the best glass you can afford.

Sheep hunting just isn't that hard, even though sheep hunters like to make it sound that way.

yon don't necessarily have to go farther than all the other sheep hunters (but it can help), you just have to be a little smarter than the other guy.

Good Luck...but the luckiest people are usually the most prepared. Both of the areas you have picked will have a lot of pressure. I personally have little or no experience in the Talkeetnas and not much more for the Wrangles. If it were me I would lean toward the Talkeetnas. Reread Kaboku68's post - it contains at least 15 to 25 lbs of gold! Value every tidbit of intel you get since with enough tidbits you will be able to weave a meaningful tapestry - ask every one, you never know who holds the keystone. Another experienced air taxi operator for the Talkeetnas is Wiederkehr Air in Palmer.

Chapman, shoot me a PM. I was in the boat you were last season. I've got a bit of insight off the Nabesna.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast