Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afognak Deer hunting

Default Afognak Deer hunting

I was drawn for the Afognak elk tag DE 717 it has been re-issued to me... Seahawk will be flying us in, anyhow what is the deer hunting like on the Island??? I plan on going the 1st week of Ocotber to do this hunt but might adjust this date to the second week of October not sure. But thier will be couple of others going along and they are hoping to get in some deer as well... I'm sure Roland at seahawk will put us in some good Elk hutnting country and hopefully deer too... Also while on Kodiak will the road system be worth a hoot for Deer hunting, what reading I have done on this site people say wait until November for any good deer hunting.

It's been 10 years since I've been there, but I hunted Afognak for deer twice in the late 90's, and I preferred it to Kodiak deer hunting. The rainforest is more conducive to still hunting than spot and stalk. We would spend a lot of time moving slowly through areas where 30 yards was the average visibility. We saw a lot of deer, though, and managed to take a few nice bucks in addition to some spikes and does for meat.

My intel is dated as for deer numbers, but as for terrain and overall experience, Afognak is among my favorites.

hap

Afognak deer populations are in very poor shape currently and it will take quite a bit of time for them to come back. The last several years brutalized them.

Deer in the old growth run quite a bit smaller, body and antler-wise, compared to deer in the open on Kodiak. The only truly big bucks I have seen on Afognak were nowhere near the old growth.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default question

323? you mention several people headed over with you, does each person have to pay the tresspass fee to hunt or is it per party? that was one of the reasons i did not apply for that hunt this year..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks guys... Well hopefully we can get onto some elk early and have enough time to get back to Kodiak and spend a few days on the road system chasing them around...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    323? you mention several people headed over with you, does each person have to pay the tresspass fee to hunt or is it per party? that was one of the reasons i did not apply for that hunt this year..

The way I read it I have to pay the fee for elk the others I don't know what the Deer hunting endorsement costs becuase the Afognak Native Corporation doesn't have it listed... I was going to put in for the Bear tag there to until I saw the 600 dollar tresspass fee

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The way I read it I have to pay the fee for elk the others I don't know what the Deer hunting endorsement costs becuase the Afognak Native Corporation doesn't have it listed... I was going to put in for the Bear tag there to until I saw the 600 dollar tresspass fee
    i have to go find it again.. but i thought there was a just being there fee? camping /hiking etc
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i have to go find it again.. but i thought there was a just being there fee? camping /hiking etc

Yep you do on the Native land on Raspberry and Afognak, But to me it's all well worth it....Those are 2 of my favorite places in Alaska.

Okay this is what I got off of Afognak native Corporation website. Elk and bear hunt Endorsement holders may take others on their hunt who do not possess an elk or bear hunt Endorsement to help with the care and
    salvage of meat and hides. However, all land users, including those accompanying a hunt, are required to be in possession of a current Land Use Permit.

So I guess if everyone has a elk tag you all have to pay the endorsement fee. To hunt Deer they just have to have the Annual land use fee which cost 125 dollars..

I was drawn for the Afognak elk tag DE 717 it has been re-issued to me... Seahawk will be flying us in, anyhow what is the deer hunting like on the Island??? I plan on going the 1st week of Ocotber to do this hunt but might adjust this date to the second week of October not sure. But thier will be couple of others going along and they are hoping to get in some deer as well... I'm sure Roland at seahawk will put us in some good Elk hutnting country and hopefully deer too... Also while on Kodiak will the road system be worth a hoot for Deer hunting, what reading I have done on this site people say wait until November for any good deer hunting.

I would definately hunt afognak over kodiak for deer, Roland has done many drops out there and you can bet he will put you on some animals....Last time i was there I was dropped at no name lake just right across the way from raspberry, caught some trout and shot a buck in 2 weeks of hunting....good luck you will have a blast!

proper Endorsement(s) required
    (Three and Seven Day permits allow fishing, berry picking, and non-consumptive use. NO over
    night camping or hunting of any type).
    Three Day Land Use Permit: $50.00
    Seven Day Land Use Permit: $75.00
    Annual Land Use Permit (Calendar year): $125.00 (permits everything included in the three and seven
    Day Land Use Permit plus overnight camping, and deer hunting. Elk and Bear hunts require an
    additional endorsement.)

Thanks guys... Well hopefully we can get onto some elk early and have enough time to get back to Kodiak and spend a few days on the road system chasing them around...
    The deer limit on the road system is only 1/person, whereas on Afognak the current limit is 3 (I think). The population may be down, but I would rather spend more time on Afognak than on the road system given the amazing terrain and the more generous limit.

As for size, I don't doubt the assessment above that the average deer are smaller than Kodiak. Big deer are possible, though. I took a 4x4 buck in the old growth that was awfully close to B&C size.

I guess if the deer number were way down the state would adjust the limit as well oh well who knows... We are hoping to shoot a couple of deer as well..

EXCEPT!

unless you can get up into the state or federal land on the northern end.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...FA/afognak.map

if i draw the 723 this year i will try to do it all on State land down in the state park area.

i plan on hauling along the pro pioneer to cross lakes and such to make areas accessible that would other wise be NOT. it looks like several good locations up north/East of fowl bay that would give you plenty of ground with out access fees also.

i know from some of our conversations.. cost is getting up there on this one.. though the area looks large.. the scale on the maps indicate only several miles between points..

besides... if you take a HUGE party over before me ... you can push them all south to my location

meet on face book here

I guess if the deer number were way down the state would adjust the limit as well oh well who knows... We are hoping to shoot a couple of deer as well..

ah hmmmm not really

i asked that very question regarding the Bears up here... populations of Black bears are NOT REAL... good in the 20A parts and have limits of 3...

i asked WHY still at 3 and was told that ...

because very few will actually reach that limit there is no consern of over harvest due to hunter numbers.. etc etc...

meet on face book here

EXCEPT!

unless you can get up into the state or federal land on the northern end.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...FA/afognak.map

if i draw the 723 this year i will try to do it all on State land down in the state park area.

i plan on hauling along the pro pioneer to cross lakes and such to make areas accessible that would other wise be NOT. it looks like several good locations up north/East of fowl bay that would give you plenty of ground with out access fees also.

i know from some of our conversations.. cost is getting up there on this one.. though the area looks large.. the scale on the maps indicate only several miles between points..

besides... if you take a HUGE party over before me ... you can push them all south to my location
    I heard the Elk hunting isn't all that great up on the BLM land that is what I heard...

I heard the Elk hunting isn't all that great up on the BLM land that is what I heard...
    It all depends on the year, The first year I worked out on Raspberry we had 5 different clients take elk on the BLM land, The second year however only a deer was taken on it, basically depends on the pressure on the other side{ which generally isin't a whole lot anyways}....I would just get the permit eitherway Vince so you have the option to go on native land if you want.

Default Road System deer must be first

You mentioned deer hunting on the road system. Be aware that if you take any deer on Afognak after your successful elk hunt , you can't come back and take a deer on the road system. Your road system deer has to be the first deer you take, and then you can go off the road system and take more.

I darn near made this mistake in 99' when I went to Afognak to help some friends on an elk hunt. Fortunately, I said something about what I was thinking and they corrected me.

Default What elk tag did you get?

Which elk tag did you draw? Depending.....there are more options than you think. Here's an overview and a land ownership map with some explanations. Besides the State and federal land, check out the Afognak Joint Venture Land which is open to public use. Read the rules and contact the proper authorities if you have questions.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...ognak.overview

I've seen some real nice bucks on Afognak. Spent two winters there in the early 80's. It's different hunting from Kodiak and takes some getting used to tho. If you want to pay the user fee you can use the logging roads and do spot and stalk in the clearcuts, or climb to the alpine in the early season, but there is some great still hunting in the timber in the late fall and winter.

Don't write off the Federal land for elk tho.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Which elk tag did you draw? Depending.....there are more options than you think. Here's an overview and a land ownership map with some explanations. Besides the State and federal land, check out the Afognak Joint Venture Land which is open to public use. Read the rules and contact the proper authorities if you have questions.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/...ognak.overview

I've seen some real nice bucks on Afognak. Spent two winters there in the early 80's. It's different hunting from Kodiak and takes some getting used to tho. If you want to pay the user fee you can use the logging roads and do spot and stalk in the clearcuts, or climb to the alpine in the early season, but there is some great still hunting in the timber in the late fall and winter.

Don't write off the Federal land for elk tho.

I was drawn for DE 717... Places i'm looking into Hidden lake and Waterfall Bay and Lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast